Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sissy's Mom

My lips are sealed - but that is looking very nice! I'll watch for your further reports!
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

How long do any of you R insulin users keep it once opened???
      I opened it about a month ago but have only used it 5 times so far. Now, I am using it every nite
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

as long as it stays clear i ussually keep it 6 months and we use it quite a bit
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My current "R" was opened 1 October. I'll probably replace at 6 months, with more than ½ remaining.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you Craig & Jessegirl,
            I guess mine is fine for awhile.

I think last night I must have had a fur shot with her N. She went down from the R, then went up like a rocket.Was 596 at 1 a.m. Gave same N this morning and she is down to normal. I usually feel her coat to make sure, I have never had a fur shot, but figure that must be what happened
            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Hi Jackie,

I was using r as well, and we were still on the same bottle. I still have it in the fridge.

Barb
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

We kept R around indefinitely. Because there is no mixing required, it tends to have a longer shelf life than N.

Natalie

Comment

Jackie, you are doing pretty well if it's taken you this long to join the fur-shot club. Sorry it happened, but well, human error is always a factor in this process...
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

LOL, thanks Patty. She is back to normal now., what ever that is these days,lol....
                    Actually, she is doing well and feeling better I think.

Comment

I have Sissy on 5 units N in the morning and 5 1/2 units at night. We are on day 7.
                      She is having these numbers
                      am 228
                      pm 223

am 560
                      pm 140

am 303
                      pm 148

am 294
                      pm 109

am 326
                      pm 75

My question is: what can I do so I can possibly raise the night dose to 6 units, and keep her from going so low at pm fasting???? or do I need to do something different????

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does sissy get any kind of an afternoon snack?
                        Bazz and I have found that really helps us prevent the evening lows we were getting. I had to put my dad in charge of that because I'm so often gone at work. I'm not sure about the evening dose, so I'll let others chime in on that.
                        Good luck with everything
                        Audrey & Bazzle
                        Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

The only thing I would consider is dropping the morning insulin dose a small amount.

As you can see, the 560 corrected itself and may even have been a result of an earlier low.

How's she doing at night? BG still skyrocketing?

Natalie

Originally posted by stylynjm View Post
                          I have Sissy on 5 units N in the morning and 5 1/2 units at night. We are on day 7.
                          She is having these numbers
                          am 228
                          pm 223

am 560
                          pm 140

am 303
                          pm 148

am 294
                          pm 109

am 326
                          pm 75

My question is: what can I do so I can possibly raise the night dose to 6 units, and keep her from going so low at pm fasting???? or do I need to do something different????

Comment

Hey Natalie,
                            I was thinking about that. this past week I have been giving her 4 pieces of her kibble about 3 pm. that is keeping her around 100-140.
                            At night she is going to high 300's maybe a few low to mid 400's, not to bad for her!!!!! Would you try 4 3/4 in the morning??
                            Had daughters dogs this past week, they went home last night, see what this week brings. Going to look at, lol, and maybe get another little 7 yr old bichon on Sunday.. I think Sissy really likes another dog here.

Comment

Can anyone explain why a dry dog food has 30 plus percent carbs and the wet will have 4-5 percent????

Comment

thats a good question i think wet there maybe more meat protein of coarse it has more moister so dry maybe more concentrated with the lack of moister

since i do neither for jesse i havent done much research on that
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X