The Wee Dude Alfie earned his wings 23rd June, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diggydog

I've only been able to make quick stops at the forum and didn't get a chance to read this when you first posted it Allison.

Was just looking at your signature, here Alfie has had diabetes almost six years and was diagnosed with cancer over a year ago... you are a long way down the one-day-at-a-time road.

Your heart will tell you - I suspect it can be difficult in a life as busy as yours to take time and listen to your heart and to what Alfie's eyes and body language are telling you, but that's usually where the answer lies.

There is some truth, I think, to the idea that Alfie isn't necessarily done if he can still muster enthusiasm for the vet. It's more a question, then, of how much effort that takes and how often something interests him enough to do it.

Thinking of you both,

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Natalie.

I think Alfie has a mild pancreatitis. Going to do bloods to confirm but it's likely to be what's causing all his problems just now. He has been vomiting off and on the last few days and it's all very consistent with how how was the last time he had it. Not sure why I didn't c it before to be honest as it's almost exactly the same. Even his vomit looks the same if u know what I mean.
      We will c what the next few days bring for us and take it from there.

On another note I have made the heartbreaking decision not too keep any of Phoebe's pups. I have more than enough with Alfie and the rest of my lot plus another foster baby on her way.
      I have amazing homes for all 3 of them so that's great but it's going to be so difficult when the go. I only have 10 days left with the little hooligan love bugs and I will miss them more than words can describe but my time will be better spent with Alfie and the girls. He is having a hard time with them as he is now totally blind and it's just not fair to put him through it
      Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Originally posted by diggydog View Post
        I have amazing homes for all 3 of them so that's great but it's going to be so difficult when the go. I only have 10 days left with the little hooligan love bugs and I will miss them more than words can describe but my time will be better spent with Alfie and the girls. He is having a hard time with them as he is now totally blind and it's just not fair to put him through it
        You're a saint, Allison. Give The Alf a rub from me!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
          You're a saint, Allison. Give The Alf a rub from me!
          DITTO! You are truly a saint, Allison. And do give Alfie a rub from me as well.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thinking of you, Allison and Alfie, and wishing you all the best. <3
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Hi Allison

An extra belly rub for Alfie for me. He is one tough little guy with a great mommy.

Louise

Comment

Hi there,
                Alfie went randomly dancing through my thoughts today, which got me thinking about you and your family. I hope things are well, and that Alfie is recovering from his pancreatitis. We'd love to hear an update,
                Audrey & Bazzle
                Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Just wanted to do a quick Wee Dude update.
                  After a mild case of pancreatitis we seemed to have a good run for a few weeks.

The pups all left for pastures new about 2 or 3 weeks ago. There are 3 puppy shaped holes in my heart right now.
                  My plan all through it was to keep a little baby for my family but Alfie would never have coped with it all so I made they extremely hard decision to let them all go to awesome new homes. I get regular photos and updates tho so its not all bad.

Alfie's blood sugar is still crazy - to the point he can be hypo one day but the have ketones 2 days later from crazy highs.
                  It is totally random and no amount of testing will help the situation.
                  I swing from thinking its time to being sure its not with him. He has a few really bad days then just completely turns it around and wants to play with the schnauzer girls for days.
                  My vet has been on holiday for a while so have been putting off taking him in as I dont feel the other vets really know us both all that well and its not a decision I would make without him.

Your Dog Magazine sent me an email yesterday to confirm that they will be including Alfie's story & pictures in the next issue of the magazine in with the article they are featuring on diabetes. I am SUPER excited to see my boy in print. I only hope all the fame doesnt go to his head and that he doesnt start acting like a diva superstar
                  I hope it helps encourage others in the UK to home test and if nothing else its an amazing keepsake for me to have of him.

It was Dec 4th 2012 I was told Alfie only had about 2 months left to live.......here we are over 1 year and 1 month later still fighting on. To celebrate how "super" the wee dude is I bought him a new outfit. I make no apologies for dressing him up in it - he was proud as punch when I put it on him
                  Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Comment

That made my day!
                      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                      Diabetes: Aug 2013
                      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

super dog he truly is
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh my!!! What a cutie!!
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

He is one amazing wee dude! And he does look quite proud of himself - love it!
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I <3 Alfie!!!!
                              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Absolutely love the Wee Dude!
                                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X