Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Questions about Yuki

Aw, I hope they find nothing too serious when they do the rhinoscopy. Will be anxiously waiting for the results.

Perhaps a virus rather than bacteria.

Natalie

Comment

Well - unfortunately Yukon's rhinoscope was today and they cancelled Friday because of the pandemic.

He is sneezing so bad and yellow coming out of his nose. I am thinking about trying CBD oil to help with the inflammation.

Has anyone given their diabetic dog CBD Oil? I have to try something - we are unsure when he will be able to have the procedure and he is so uncomfortable.

Or, if you have any other anti-inflammatory ideas please share with me. I was going to do the Turmeric Paste but my vet said it might not be a good idea with all his issues.

So frustrating :-(
      15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

From anything I've read on rhinitis or sinusitis, it sounds like a bacterial infection, maybe a fungal infection.

Has Yuki been on antibiotics yet for this?
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Well we went in today for the rhinoscope. It wasn't a foreign object or nasal polyp. She took a couple biopsies and sent them out. Said she saw some nodules in some white stuff so it could be either a fungus, cancer, or some type of inflammatory issue. I forgot the name of the inflammatory issue but she said if it is that he would have to be on antibiotics three times a day and then a steroid and something else.

I'm hoping for the inflammatory issue. She will get the results back next week. She did do a biopsy of the inside of his mouth by his back molar I guess there was some type of protrusion above the molar.

Not what we wanted to hear. He's such a fighter and has been through so much and he's doing great.

With the coronavirus and now this feels like a big blur and daze right now.
          15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

He is having a tough time coming out of the anesthesia. Procedure was 7 hours ago and he is still not moving. His blood sugar was HI and he hasn't eaten dinner. I gave him 10 of the 13 units of insulin and an hour later it's 638.

Should I give him the rest in another hour? I am assuming the blood sugar is high from the anesthesia. I am not going to push to eat since it's so late.

Has anyone else had this issue after surgery?

Comment

Hope yuki feels better soon . It is a difficult time for everyone including our dogs . If numbers stay elevated you maybe able to add a fast acting insulin like r temporarily
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The doctor called today and said the results of the culture from the aspiration she took on the inside of yukons mouth by his tooth came back with abnormal cells. We have to wait for the biopsies to come back in the nasal cavity but she mentioned the word cancer.

I am not giving up hope that everything will be OK. This really stinks because his blood sugar has been so good and diabetes isn't even an issue now. We have a new issue that might not be able to be healed :-(

Please pray for Yukon. He is such a good boy.

Comment

Sorry to read there are abnormal cells present. Just don't give up hope. There are treatments and some cancers are slow growing.

Hugs,
                  Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Thank you. I am not going to give up hope on my baby.

I have two fantastic veterinarians that will work with me to make him happy and healthy for as long as we can.

Comment

Actually I have given up on jesse many times from the very beginning of this adventure not thinking she would get through 6 months for as sick as she was

There are time she struggles and I think time is short and then she bounces back and better than ever

I realize Jesse has crossed the higher end of a beagles lifespan ( still proving me wrong ) I have elected to not do any major medical procedures at this point in her life and she hasn't needed any for over 9 years . We just take it one day at a time . Is she perfect ? No she has her limitations and problems but she is happy and still enjoys life so that continues and we are happy about that
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I'm entering a new stage that I'm not familiar with. Yukon is not eating his food very well anymore takes encouraging. I have reduced his insulin from 13 units to 11 because his blood sugar is so low. Tonight before dinner it was 48! The lowest it ever was. One hour later after eating his whole bowl it's only 206.

What should I do?

Comment

Jesse eats one meal a day which maybe an option

There could be changes in the body as he gets older that could cause the need for less insulin

Inconsistent eating can also impact the lows and highs . Either way if numbers are below a 100 and its not an odd ball event and correlating that with the highs in a lower range I would continue to reduce the dose.

Comment

you could add a topper like salmon see if he eats more
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I have been putting boiled chicken on it with a little bit of reduced sodium chicken broth in for a while he was eating that really good.
                              He eventually eats his food but like tonight his blood sugar was 78 and he didn't want to eat. He eats his meals at 6 AM and 6 PM or should I say he did eat his meals at 6 AM and 6 PM. Tonight he ate about 7 o'clock all of his food and I took his blood sugar at 8 o'clock and it was 363 so I gave him 8 1/2 units of insulin. I am basically just guessing how much to give him.

I was thinking about maybe buying some dog treats for him to eat so if his blood sugar goes too low and he doesn't wanna eat his meal I can give him a couple treats what are your thoughts on that?

Comment

Yes allot of managing a dogs diabetes is more of an art than science and we do allot of guessing . Remember it takes about 5 days for a dose to settle and see the true response to the dose decrease

That is interesting he did not want to eat with lower numbers . You would have thought the opposite . I give my jesse a milk bone with no meal and insulin in morning and it works well for her .Its not low glycemic. It actually has molasses in it and I believe that is helpful with her numbers but I am in a small camp with that thought with thinking insulin needs to be fed quickly

Let us know how the decrease goes and hope for a good outcome
                                Last edited by jesse girl; 06-04-2020, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X