• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot Get Ollie under Control

where did you get the supplements Thanks

Comment

Started a 12 hr regimen of 4.5 units q12 and two meals at same time Glucose running in 150-200 range Thanks

Comment

Very nice

Let the changes settle in for 5 to 7 days and, if you can, do a 12 hour BG curve with your meter. Start testing at breakfast and every 2 hours up to dinner. This will show how the insulin and food are working together and what his Blood Glucose pattern looks like.
        Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-04-2018, 05:42 PM.
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Oliie's Cataracts

My Norfork Terier, a rescue, is 9 yrs old and dx with diabetes in January. Have in fairly good control with 4.5 units q12 of Vetsulin. I started him on Occuglow in January as well to either prevent or slow Cataracts. Up to a few days ago , no cataract. Now suddenly appeared and look thick. Is there any thing that be done, short of removal.... and is he too old for surgery.. Tanks

Comment

Re: Oliie's Catarac

Once they are present, the only alternative is to have surgery. 9 is not too old but surgery always has some risk and may not always be successful. My dog had successful cataract surgery but she had extreme anxiety when her blindness came on suddenly. Many dogs have no problem with blindness and are pretty unfazed. As humans, we tend to attach more importance to vision. You just have to decide if surgery is the right option for your dog.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Re: Oliie's Catarac

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
              Once they are present, the only alternative is to have surgery.
              I can only speak for Scooter and myself but since starting on the drops in mid April he has been able to at least hold his vision to the same degree. I only wish I had started using them from day one of his diagnosis back in September.

Glaucoma is what you need to be concerned with. If that develops unchecked you can lose the possibility of having the surgery later. That's why I suggested to the OP to have his dogs eyes checked immediately. I have Scooter's eyes checked every 3 to 4 months. So far he has been textbook perfect. The cost is only $50. Money well spent.
              Last edited by Scooterspal; 07-09-2018, 03:22 AM.
              Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

Pee Pee Sticks

For the past three days, Urine Test strips have been registering zero or negative with no color change. When this occurs I usually do blood testing and it would register around 120. I do not do bld as frequently as I should because his ear veins are mostly embedded and hard to get blood. I have been using same brand for 6 mo (Jor Vet) and they have been pretty reliable. There are no signs of hypoglycemia-none and physically he looks and feels fine. The only other thing that I can think of- I believe that glucose will not spill over in urine from the kidney until it reaches 180. Any suggestions. His last bld 3 days ago was 121. Any ideas?? Thanks Allen

Comment

Re: Pee Pee Sticks

May be the product is bad???
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

From what I understand, you are right about BG needing to be over 180 before it spills over into urine. Therefore, urine test strips cannot detect BG less than 200 or so.

Have you tried other spots to test with your meter, like inside of upper lip? Other than watching for physical symptoms, testing with a meter is really the only way to check for low BG

Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                    Diabetes: Aug 2013
                    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

This is a great chart. Thank you

Comment

Bld Glucose this morning was 61. No Pee Pee stick will read that. Thanks

Comment

Urine Test Strips

In between bld Glucose, I use Urine test strips throughout the day. I realize that they are not terribly accurate. I have been using Jor Vet for Glucose only.
                          If Glucose under 180 they will not even register. Is there any thing better?
                          Thanks Allen & Ollie

Comment

Re: Urine Test Strips

https://www.americanveterinarian.com...tested-in-dogs

Now i have not personally heard of a member using this device but it appears it has been tried on dogs . Now it is for humans and may read a dogs sugar a bit different but i have used a human meter on jesse for over 8 years without a problem . It usually gets very accurate when it gets closer to what normal blood sugar looks like so i believe the device would do the job for dogs determining trends and identifying low sugar

Now finding a vet willing to install the device is another story and you may have to do a bit more research

As far as urine strips they are what they are and have a limited ability to test glucose in the body
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Urine Test Strips

Interesting-Like a scan

Comment

What's going on?

My Norfork Terrier ,9 yr o, is dx with Cushings and Diabetes. Originally we have had a lot of issues with sugar control. The last few weeks his glucose is running between 61 to 100 @ 4.5 units q12 of Vetsulin and a Glycobalance dog food. His Fructosamine was 250 and also treated with Trilostane 5 mg daily. He is scheduled for Acth stim next week. The issue is that he is staying at the lower end of glucose and the vet suggested that I drop insulin down to 4 units q12. I did that and Glucose is still at low end. DIABETES does not just disappear-does it? I am just afraid that I may be pushing him toward Hyoglycemia even though he has no clinical signs of it. Except for the cataracts, he seems to be OK. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X