X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metacam liquid pain medicine

Thought I'd post this at this site.

For over 2 yrs I was buying the Metacam Liquid Pain Med from the vet at a cost of $80.00 to $90.00 per bottle, the vet in all that time never told me I could buy the tablet form at Walmart.

(I discovered this doing a search on the generic name on Walmarts site, generic name is meloxicam and it is a human medication for pain.)

Anyway your vet can give you a RX for it.
    Make sure the RX is for the 7.5 mg tablets, you give your dog 1/2 a tablet once a day, maybe less for a smaller dog.

This worked well for my dog who was 16, she took it for 2 yrs, she crossed the bridge last August.

My other dog Chief has been taking the tablets for 2 yrs now also, I always make sure to give when he eats, I have had no problems with this pain med.

I had problems with Rimadyl with my poor old German Shepard who was 18, he had internal bleeding, of course it could have been his age also.

I have given it to Niki also, earlier when she first went blind she bumped into a few things and hurt her leg, so I gave her the meloxicam with no problems. ( I did call the vet first)

Some dog owners have problems with this drug, but its been AOK with my dogs.

So don't think you need to spend alot of money on the liquid med, with 2 of my dogs taking it at $80.00 back then that was alot of expense. Now its $90.00 here in PA, I did find the Metacam cheaper at Dr. Foster and Smith, but maybe $10.00 cheaper, the tablets were a lifesaver
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Re: Metacam liquid pain medicine

Hi Niki!

This is great to know! Both my boys take Metacam...I had no idea it came this way. When we need a refill, I am definitely asking for a script. This works so well for both of their arthritis when they need it.
    I have never had a problem with it either and it really works the best.
    Rimadyl gave Bailey seizures...I will never ever touch it again!!!
    Thanks for the great info!!!!
    Beth, Scooter and Bailey

Comment

Glad you seen the info, the vets don't want you to know things,

I have to call the vet to get an increase in Chiefs pills, he was on 1/2 a day the 3.2 or a 1/2 of tablet, but now i have to give him 2 halfs a day, she only gave me a rx for 15 pills at a time figuring the breaking in half. but he needs the increase, if she asks to bring him in I think i will go nuts, being he was just there for his nail trim and the tech's seen how he is walking.

Its getting hard on Chief now, his left leg was the bad one and now from putting the presuure on his right leg, that is starting to give out. Chief is such a mellow, happy dog, I hope he can make it thru summer, I dunno, I just hate these decisions!!
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi,
        Just wondering about the size of Metacam you were paying $70+ for. I am interested in comparing to prices here.
        Thanks
        Jenny & Buddy

Comment

We've used Metacam 1.5mg/mL liquid for over two years and the price is well over $90 for a 100 mL bottle here in California.

Besides the fact that it has worked very well for Chris, he's willing to lap it up out of a dish. With so many pills to give him every day, that's a big plus for us.

Comment

I can't get metacam other than at a vets and I have to pay around $70 for the 32ml size and over $130 if I want the 100ml. Not fair.....
            Jenny & Buddy

Comment

I got the larger bottle of the liquid metacam for last price 90.00, you can get this from Dr.Foster & Smith also, it is usually cheaper, all your vet has to do is fax the rx to them, go online to Dr. foster and smith, print out their rx form, fax or take to vet, they fax to dr. foster.
              Also check out Heartland Medical supply

I don't know if you can get metacam from canada vet, i get my heartworm from there, worth a try.

Don't let the vet tell you that you can only buy from them, my old vet did that bs as far as buying frontline etc, I insisted, they think everyone has thousands of dollars

Comment

Thanks but I am in Australia and not a lot of places will ship there. Also our customs checking is dynamite and a lot of stuff just won't get through.
                Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Ya know, I get my heartworm med from New Zealand, and I go thru Canada vet to get that, what about Canada vet, isn't Canada affiliated with Austrailia and new zealand?

The Meloxicam is a human pain medicine, I don't know if you knew that, for bad arthritus. Go to your doctor or call tell them your knees or back is hurting and your friend uses meloxicam because it is easier on the budget, rather than Celebrex etc. Maybe they will phone in the RX, I guess this isn't sold over the counter there, the meloxicam tablets.

Go online to pharmacies in your area, search meloxicam tablets see if it comes up in human prescriptions, gets me to wondering if this has helped my dog so much, why aren't any humans I know using it? It is a human drug, No doubt the big pharmacies outfits want you to buy the newer expensive stuff!!

Hope this helps, I try to get around all the issues, even if it is a white lie for the good!!

Comment

I actually take meloxicam for arthritis but both my two little dogs that need the metacam would need such a tiny dose that the tablets wouldn't work. I have both the 7.5 and 15 mg for myself but I would need to cut the 7.5 into 15 pieces!!!!! I will have a look at canada vet but from what I am reading you need the script written by a US vet. I will keep looking as I'd love to save a few $$.
                    Jenny & Buddy

Comment

I think it only comes in the 7.5, my vet did not give to me, she rx-ed it to me and i took to pharmancy, my only guess is that my dog weighs 90 lbs, he was started out on 1/2 tablet, that'd be 3.2 mg, cut into 8th's .93 mg each.

.93 X 8 = 7.44 or the 7.5 mg original tablet

ask the vet what mg you would give the dog if she would prescribe it, that would give you an answer to the mg. for your doggies.

Ex: Niki used 2 times 51 lbs

I know I gave Niki 1/2 tablet 3.2 when she hurt her leg when first blind so she is 51 lbs. So the 1/2 tablet must work for 51 lb dog also, thats what the vet told me to do, i had to call her first to see if Niki could take it being she was diabetic.

Comment

The metacam liquid says that it is .1mg per kg for a maintenance dose so using that as a guide I would only give one .4mg and the other .5mg. I have a larger dog (25kg) that I could divide one of the 7.5mg tablets up into about 1/3 and that would save money when I have to give it to him.
                        Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Well I have just had success thanks to Nikki and Dolly! You were right and Canada Vet does ship to Australia with and Aust. RX. Depending on the postage costs and whether our customs let it through it will make for a big saving.
                          Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Terrific, I was just talking to a lady at the other board about Metacam she did not know about the tablet form either, those damn vets!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X