Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulin missed

Hi there,

My dog Mochi is a 8 year old 10lb pomeranian. He was diagnosed with diabetes last year around Feb. He started with 2 units and had very good blood sugar for a while. He had cataract surgery in July and then had to get his left eye done again due to my niece throwing a ball at his eye by accident. His blood sugar started going up again during October when I went in to get his curve done. He stayed at 23-26mmol (400's mg)the entire day. My vet increased 1 unit of his insulin and it seemed to work and got him back down again so everything has been good until last week on March 2nd when he went in for a curve again. His numbers went from 12-30's mmol (200-600s mg). My vet increased his insulin to one unit and we had to get his blood sugar checked everyday because of how high it was. It stayed high in the mid 20's mmol (500's mg) on Friday the day after and on Saturday things started going well. His blood sugar had gone down a bit to the 15-17 mmol (300's mg) from morning til before his dinner. After dinner we gave his is 4 units and we checked his bloodsugar again and it went down to 5.8mmol (105mg). Sunday morning we checked again and it was at 4.8mmol (85mg) so I got a little scared and gave him 3 units instead..We checked again right before dinner Sunday night and it was at 7.9mmol (166mg). So we gave him 3 units again..My vet was gone on holidays so I had to talk to the other vet that I don't really trust. He told me 3 units is too much and I should've just given him 1 or 2 units. I started panicking and he said just give him more food..So I ended up giving him an extra ounce of food...The next morning on Monday morning we checked again and it jumped back up to 20mmol (366mg)..I automatically thought it was because of the extra food we gave him the night before. So I told my dad to give him 3.5 units of insulin. We checked his blood sugar again right before dinner and it had dropped back down to 11.9mmol (215mg). I was a bit relieved..so i thought 3.5 units was the good number of insulin to give him. We stayed at 3.5 and didn't check his blood sugars for the week since I only have 2 test strips left. Yesterday we finally took it again before dinner and shockingly it was up at 28.9mmol (520mg)...I gave him 4 units of insulin and my vet told me to continue giving him 4 units and stop adjusting and changing doses. I'm so worried and having major anxiety now because I don't know why it could spike up like that...Please let me know what I should be doing next..?

Thank you,
    Lina
    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
    On 5 units of HumilinN
Working...
X