Soaphie the sophisticated is an angel October 29, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soaphie the sophisticated!

. Jenny would always eat fried hamburger. Not great for a diabetic. Some people put tuna juice in water to get dogs to drink
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I got nothing... Sending you positive vibes and hopes that tomorrow is a better day. Thinking of you both.
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Tami,

Please don't beat yourself up! My opinion on force feeding has always been a big no but only when the dog is suffering from pancreatitis or a situation where food could cause even further pain and suffering. I don't think what you are doing is the same and you aren't really forcing it. I wouldn't be above trying whatever you need to. This things are never just black and white. I wish they had those Ensure drinks for dogs. When my mom was suffering so badly with cancer, they kept her going on days she just couldn't get food down. I will think about some things. Have you tried any goat's milk - Primal has a raw goat's milk but I guess you could find that at a health food store.

I will keep you guys in my thoughts.

Amy
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I am completely with Amy. Nothing wrong with trying everything you can. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I have one pug, Mugzee, liver issues, so had to make him eat, no choices. He is now in the habit, I PUT a kibble in his mouth, and he will spit it out 3-4 times, and then swallow it. After that he eats his whole meal on his own. HIs liver values are now much better, but we have been doing that for 2 yrs, and he is happy, frisky...and I think he enjoys the attention. And he still won't eat on his own, without help starting.

Wish I had a magic answer for getting them to eat, but do not think you are mistreating him by forcing the food issue a bit. No one knows her like you do, and you love her and will always make the best decisions based on that.

Many thoughts and prayers for you both, Joan

Comment

As with Judi / Jenny, ... one of my "go to's" was fried ground chuck, another was the hard boiled egg. The ground beef always worked.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

The ground beef/brown rice combination worked (thank goodness as Saturday morning we had "the talk" with our vet....dodged a bullet, for now).

Now, one worry for me is the burger triggering pancreatitis....thoughts on this? Also, do we just stay with this combination as long as she will eat it or try to move her back to dog food?

Can't thank everyone enough...appreciate you all!
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

One thing that might help is rinsing the ground beef before serving it.
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                  The ground beef/brown rice combination worked (thank goodness as Saturday morning we had "the talk" with our vet....dodged a bullet, for now).

Now, one worry for me is the burger triggering pancreatitis....thoughts on this?
                  Ground chuck / round / sirloin are low in fat for openers, ... then put it on a paper towel when it comes out of the frying pan to remove more of the fat.

I'd move back to her normal chow, but mix a lot of the beef in with it as her "new" normal, ... plus a generous topping to get her started. At this stage of the game, ... whatever it takes!
                  Last edited by farrwf; 10-25-2015, 04:39 PM.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

been feeding jesse beef heart grounded for as long as she has been diabetic and no additional pancreatitis the only difference as you know its fed raw

great news
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                      Ground chuck / round / sirloin are low in fat for openers, ... then put it on a paper towel when it comes out of the frying pan to remove more of the fat.

I'd move back to her normal chow, but mix a lot of the beef in with it as her "new" normal, ... plus a generous topping to get her started. At this stage of the game, ... whatever it takes!
                      what bill said. fingers crossed and kisses for Miss Soaphie
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

How's our Soaphie doing?

Comment

Today was coaxing (not even trying to put dog food back into the mix yet). Achieved 63% of calories.

Taking it day by day. So appreciate all of you!!! Thanks for asking.
                          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

update.

she puked

then a bit later tried to puke again (but nothing came up).

I took her outside and she peed and I tried to help her poo (she's been constipated for the last few days). She then had diarrhea.

We are getting some propectalin (I think that's how you spell it) and will be trying to feed her baby food and white rice for dinner tonight (half calories). Dr. S and a vet tech will come over tomorrow morning to draw blood to see if anything new showed up since June / and see how her kidney disease is progressing.

Comment

• Re: Soaphie

Aint been here for ages - SOOO sorry you lost Sydney - but amazing Soaphie continues so well - wishing you a ton of luck with her!
                              CarolW with Kumbi; d. 8 June 2010
                              http://www.coherentdog.org/
                              CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                                been feeding jesse beef heart grounded for as long as she has been diabetic and no additional pancreatitis the only difference as you know its fed raw

great news
                                Delightful to find old friends here! Dropped in because I ran into somebody online who needs some assistance. My warmest greetings to you and Jesse!
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X