Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ollie in decline?

Well i have similar approach with jesse where she was so sick at the beginning of this process that I would not put her through that at age 14 . The only thing you kind of want to keep an eye on is pain . Now I am in the camp that some pain is part of life and dogs are very tolerant of that but when there in so much discomfort that you can tell that needs to be addressed one way or another .

As far as food I am one not to force feed a dog because there is a reason for a dog not eating and the easiest thing they dont like it . On the other side there could be a medical condition that removes appetite or digestive issues

Now my jesse gets one meal a day at dinner time with shot and a milk bone snack in the morning with a reduced dose of insulin . She has done this for 8 years showing you can give a dose of insulin without a meal it just has to smaller most agree a starting point would be a quarter of the normal dose without a meal .

Its possible a vet visit can find something simple to correct or the opposite and you can go in there with not going to the extreme of bringing everything out of the arsenal to test and treat . A simple vet visit may give some peace of mind . You can always decline referrals . Maybe they can prescribe some pain medication if needed and if given and your dog feels better may point to some discomfort . Some medications can be fairly cheap and give a dog a bit better quality of life
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice. It turns out that Ollie has rallied in the last two days, and doing better. We fed him white rice, broth, eggs and he gobbled it up! Now we just have to find out if he's got a sore tooth or if something else was bothering him. We will try to reintroduce dog kibbles slowly.

Three of the four family members had been away for 10 days, so I suspect he may have just gotten depressed.

Comment

Glad to hear Ollie is feeling better! I have a senior dog and she has gone through much of what Ollie has.

I think you are on the right track when you think depression might of played a factor in his loss of appetite. Snickers (who has always been a picky eater) goes through episodes of not eating. I find a change of pace for her helps. I switch food and take her places outside the neighborhood. She can't walk much but we either stroller her someplace fun and familiar like the park or we go to the pet store to walk around. She travels with us too and she always perks up when she's on the go.

You also might want to ask your vet about arthritis on your next visit. Dogs can usually hide the pain pretty well but if they are really slowing down it can be a flag for a problem. There's a few options for treatment and some people speculate that the current selection of arthritic drugs can add 2 years to a dog's lifespan.
        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
          Well i have similar approach with jesse where she was so sick at the beginning of this process that I would not put her through that at age 14 . The only thing you kind of want to keep an eye on is pain . Now I am in the camp that some pain is part of life and dogs are very tolerant of that but when there in so much discomfort that you can tell that needs to be addressed one way or another .

As far as food I am one not to force feed a dog because there is a reason for a dog not eating and the easiest thing they dont like it . On the other side there could be a medical condition that removes appetite or digestive issues

Now my jesse gets one meal a day at dinner time with shot and a milk bone snack in the morning with a reduced dose of insulin . She has done this for 8 years showing you can give a dose of insulin without a meal it just has to smaller most agree a starting point would be a quarter of the normal dose without a meal .

Its possible a vet visit can find something simple to correct or the opposite and you can go in there with not going to the extreme of bringing everything out of the arsenal to test and treat . A simple vet visit may give some peace of mind . You can always decline referrals . Maybe they can prescribe some pain medication if needed and if given and your dog feels better may point to some discomfort . Some medications can be fairly cheap and give a dog a bit better quality of life
          I'm wondering what you feed your Jesse for her homemade meal. It seems like Ollie will eat anything as long as it's soft. Probably periodontal disease. We've been feeding him eggs and rice with a little softened dry dogfood, and have gotten his blood sugar levels on track again. I'm just worried he's not getting proper nutrition.

Comment

jesse eats skinless chicken ,hard boiled eggs ,pinto beans , canned mackerel , sweet potato yams and assortment of grind up vegetables that are microwaved . I sprinkle grind up eggshells milk thistle and yeast flakes ( which is for flavor )

If you are seeing decent blood sugar you may want to find a way to make what you have work . There are supplements on the market that can help with balance . I did decide to stop what jesse was using as i felt her diet was well balanced .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Ollie continues to decline. He is very lethargic, getting weaker, and eating even less. We've managed to keep his blood sugar fairly normal.
              We took him to the vet because his abdomen was slowly getting larger and larger. All the things it could be are bad: severe infection, tumor, blood pooling, organ fluid pooling, etc. He did a blood test to determine if his kidneys are failing, but we haven't got the results yet.
              Today Ollie ate a little, got about 1/2 his insulin, and then threw up everything. His blood was 400 or so. He won't eat, so I am expecting him to go low. Ollie is old, we do not have a lot of $, so this really does look like the end.

Then I had a thought...is this crazy? Since it looks like we might be putting poor Ollie down soon, could we just let him go into a diabetic coma? I know that sounds cruel, but it would be natural, and he wouldn't have to travel the 2 hours to the vet and die in a place he hates.
              Remember, we live in the country where people are more used to putting their own animals down. I just want to know if this is a cruel way to die. I know there can be seizures, but if you are in a coma, you are unconscious.

I know this is a shocking thought to some of you. Please be kind, we have kept Ollie going with diabetes for 2.5 years, we clearly love this animal and are willing to sacrifice a lot, just like all of you.

Comment

Trying to put down a dog on your own can go terribly wrong . I am sure people still use a firearm to do the deed which just makes me feel quite anxious but a 100 years ago it may have been quite common especially in rural communities

We as humans usually dont preempt death and naturally go on deaths terms . My sister in laws uncle is in that process now . He is not eating or drinking and in hospice . He is not in pain and not very responsive

The key is to not suffer and pain is big on the list . There will be discomfort no matter what but debilitating pain is horrible but some people live with that day in day out for many years like back injury

giving to much insulin to acquire an ending could lead to a grand mal seizure possibly multiple before coma occurs . also the dog could survive the first attempt . We have seen dogs heavily overdosed and still survived . The body does a good job of survival when it has to

You could take the human option and manage end of life and let go naturally but that can be very difficult to watch and risk of suffering because you cant manage pain the way the medical community does for pain . Most times we are just limited to giving a pill for of pain management and for dogs like ollie he may not swallow

I would talk to your vet . maybe they have an out reach to your area and have someone come out . Maybe a clinic of sorts . When jesse reaches that time it would be nice a vet come to my residence and her transition would be at her home .

The decision is yours on end of life but i would not recommend doing it on your own . Vets have really done a good job figuring how to do this humanely and fairly fast . They respect the process and comfort family members

Comment

Thanks for replying so fast. I have had other dogs put down by vets, and have been there with them. It's very fast and apparently painless. I do think you're right, that putting down an animal on your own can go terribly wrong, which is the last thing you want for your animal or yourself. Somehow I had the impression that a diabetic coma would be fairly painless. Maybe they are unconscious, but the human family has to witness the seizures. Seizures don't make the patient look like they are unconscious, and you're right, we could never "unsee" that horror.
                  So, I think we'll probably end up having the vet do it. Thanks again for your advice. That was a difficult question to ask.

Comment

Before the dog goes into full coma, there would be some very scary time for him; shaking, confusion, all kinds of things. I know, I've been in one. Luckily my wife was home to call 9-1-1.

When my blood sugar gets dangerously low, it's panic time.

The vet is your best option for the dog.
                    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

The bloodwork just got back. Liver not looking good at all and two other compounds (I forget which) are indicators of cancer. We'll never know for sure, but cancer is a good guess.
                      Just tonight he cannot hold water down. We will try to arrange a euthanization for tomorrow. It will have to be away from home, so I am hoping he goes on his own tonight, at home, in his bed.
                      He is not in great pain. He's still alert and can understand and recognize people. He's able to sleep (very soundly). Standing is getting difficult.
                      I want to thank all the people on this forum for making the last 2.5 years of Ollie's life possible. We were not nearly ready to let go then, and he had a good quality of life for most of that time.
                      If I'm up for it, I will let you know how this all turns out.

Comment

I'm so sorry. Making the decision to release Ollie is very hard, but he deserves a quick, painless passing.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

I'll be thinking of you and Ollie. xoxo
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

• Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

Ollie passed away last night at about 7pm. We were with him the entire hour before he died, singing to him and caressing him. Our teen sons were home, but did not want to watch. Both boys said that at the time Ollie died, all the dogs in the neighborhood were howling or barking! They both independently noticed that, as they were both outside, but not together. He always was the King of the Hood.

His passing was peaceful, he was mostly out of it, his body trying to hold onto life. We are so glad we let him die at home. It was so much less stressful for all.

He is buried with some balls, frisbees, and his blue genie doll under the cottonwoods.

This seems like the end of an era, not only the end of Ollie. He's been with us almost the entire time the boys were growing up.

But as my son said, it's the start of a new one, too.

If anyone is considering letting their pet die naturally at home, this video was a godsend for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdOiXKX3xBA

Many thanks and blessings to everyone here for all your support. Don't know what we would have done without you all.

Comment

• Re: Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:” No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging it’s tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: “Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.”

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead.” There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

May your wonderful memories of Ollie bring a smile to your face.

Comment

• Re: Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

I am glad Ollies passing went the way you had hoped for . A natural at home transition in the place thats familiar and where he was loved . My sister in laws uncle died on hospice in the nursing home last week with only a nurse around and not sure if anyone was present but my brother was there earlier in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X