Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Freestyle Lite vs Freestyle Test Strips

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
    When using AlphaTrak strips, use the code on the container. You can try FreeStyle Lite strips on the same code, or experiment with other codes like the 5 I'm using.

When I experiment, I use the AlphaTrak Control Solution. First, I use an AlphaTrak strip with the Control Solution and jot down the reading. Then, I try FreeStyle Lite strips at different codes until I get a reading within about 5-7 points of the AlphaTrak strip. You just have to remember which strip you loaded into the meter, and code it accordingly. As I mentioned, "5" with FreeStyle Lite strips closely matches the AlphaTrak strips for me.

Craig
    By the way, the reason I use the AlphaTrak Control Solution is so that I won't have to poke Annie too many times during the initial experimentations. Also, I'm thinking the Control Solution is actually more repeatable than true blood (the AlphaTrak and FreeStyle Lite strips only test a pin-point amount of blood and I'm thinking one pin-point drop of real blood might be slightly different than the next pin-point drop)
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Craig, FYI - I used the Freestyle strips today and coded the AlphaTrak at 5 which was the code on the bottle, I compared the readings from the Alpha strips to the Freestyle strips and they were about 30 points off everytime, higher with Freestyle just like the Freestyle Lite. So at least I know I can use these now and about what the difference is. I cannot afford to buy the AlphaTrak strips anymore just too expensive for me being unemployed and all the other medical expenses for Murphy.

Comment

Originally posted by abdamurph View Post
        Craig, FYI - I used the Freestyle strips today and coded the AlphaTrak at 5 which was the code on the bottle, I compared the readings from the Alpha strips to the Freestyle strips and they were about 30 points off everytime, higher with Freestyle just like the Freestyle Lite. So at least I know I can use these now and about what the difference is. I cannot afford to buy the AlphaTrak strips anymore just too expensive for me being unemployed and all the other medical expenses for Murphy.
        Good to know :-)

Did you test using blood or Control Solution? Just curious. I realize you probably don't want to "waste" FreeStyle strips, but it might be interesting to see what "6" (or other codes) might show :-)

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Urinanalysis vs Urine Cultures

How many of you actually get urine cultures on your dogs? Vets tell me they recommend them done twice a year because urinanalysis are not enough to detect infections. My vet is recommending one for Murphy, already has had a urinanalysis that showed nothing but peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water and his BG still unregulated, but he is doing fine otherwise. It runs $140 plus more if sedation is needed which I think is high and I cannot afford right now because still unemployed so I don't know what to do. Thx

Comment

Re: Urinanalysis vs Urine Cultures

Since your already blood testing can you post a recent curve youve done please and tell us what he,s eating , how much, what insulin and how much every 12 hours.

You might want to get ketone strips to test his urine yourself for ketones.

lets see more info okay. He might just need an increase of insulin.
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I think a urine culture at this point is not necessary, especially considering the financial burden it places on you. If the vet feels strongly that your pup has a urinary tract infection, they can prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic, which is relatively cheap.
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I think if he is not showing signs of an active infection, then this is a waste of money. Typically, my vet doesn't order a culture unless we get a UTI that won't respond to antibiotics. To do one twice a year "just in case" is unnecessary and borderline irresponsible. Why put a dog through it if there is no sign of infection? This vet seems a tad greedy.... Just my opinion.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

As you can see by the attached article from a Vet who works with ADW (American Diabetes Wholesale) and is quite knowledgable in animal diabetes, urine cultures are recommended twice yearly in dogs with diabetes because uninalysis doesn't always show infections in diabetic dogs. That is why I was asking how many people actually take their dogs for urine cultures during the year and has it benefited in any way?
                  http://www.adwdiabetes.com/articles/...campaign=Email

Comment

i have not had my jesse checked for a uti . i feel since i check blood sugar at home i would see a change in blood sugar which maybe a clue to an infection correlate that with physical symptoms . is that a 100 percent guarantee maybe not but probably close

i can understand maybe doing more testing and having more vet visits but there can be a consequence to that action with a compromised immune system in a location where the dog may catch something while there

the single best thing that can be done for a diabetic dog is testing blood sugar at home . that one thing has been one of the important reasons my jesse is here today

in the end there is no wrong or wight answer its what you are comfortable with working with your medical professional
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: Urinanalysis vs Urine Cultures

We never did. We only tested if we had some reason to believe he had a UTI.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of veterinary pet diabetes advice is based on the assumption that people do not closely monitor or regulate their dog's blood sugar.

Like suggesting routine fructosamine tests, for example. The vets were taught you need to do one but a fructosamine test is quite pointless when one is routinely testing blood sugar at home.

When the standard for "regulated" is as low as it often is by veterinarians, UTIs would be very common. They are not nearly so common when the diabetes regulation is good.

Considering the cost, on a tight budget or even a moderate budget, I'd put that money to what I would consider to be better uses.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Urinanalysis vs Urine Cultures

I think what Natalie says makes perfect sense. If you are monitoring blood sugar at home, then it is one of those tests that isn't necessary. I know that my vet has never mentioned it and he is an IMS. It seems like it is a painful test to put one through unless you think there is a valid reason.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

• Does anyone use or have heard of Detemir Insulin?

I'm thinking of changing vets and a new vet I am consulting with has suggested a new insulin for Murphy it's called Detemir. Has anyone heard anything about this insulin or even use on their dog? I now use Novolin NPH and have had hard time regulating Murphy the last 2 years but I am unemployed and cannot afford going to more expensive insulin which I am sure Detemir is. Anyway any info you might have I would love to hear. Thanks!

Comment

• Re: Does anyone use or have heard of Detemir Insulin?

Originally posted by abdamurph View Post
                            I'm thinking of changing vets and a new vet I am consulting with has suggested a new insulin for Murphy it's called Detemir. Has anyone heard anything about this insulin or even use on their dog? I now use Novolin NPH and have had hard time regulating Murphy the last 2 years but I am unemployed and cannot afford going to more expensive insulin which I am sure Detemir is. Anyway any info you might have I would love to hear. Thanks!
                            Detemir is the same as levemir. It's a clear insulin and in dogs it's four times as potent as NPH (humulin & novolin) and vetsulin, meaning dogs use approximately 1/4 of what they would with the other insulin types.

It's also a very expensive insulin. My dog used it back in 2012 and it was 135.00 for a vial back then. I believe it's upwards of 250.00 - 300.00 for a vial now days. It also comes in a 5 pack of pens, which are more costly than the vial. Most users say Walgreens is the place to go to buy it. Walgreens will let you buy a prescription savings card for around 20.00 for year and then give a decent discount on the insulin. Pets are covered. The cost of the insulin, however, is still steep compared to novolin or humulin (can save on humulin at Walgreens too).

When it was only 135.00 for the levemir vial, because my dog used 1/4 less insulin than when he did on humulin (which back then was the 25.00 insulin from Wal-Mart), the upfront cost was a lot more but the overall cost was close to the same. When we switched he was up to 37u of humulin twice daily. He went up to 10u of levemir (which would have been 40u humulin). He also ended up having a lot of other things going on and once those were treated his insulin needs dropped to about 4.5u of levemir (equiv of 18u humulin). He was a 90-ish pound dog. I will say that while he was struggling with resistance, the levemir did work a lot better than the humulin for him. We still struggled to keep his blood glucose in a decent range, but levemir offered a curve pattern that he never had on humulin. Once we had a curve pattern to work with we were able to confidently adjust the insulin in an effort to combat the elevated blood glucose.

The levemir data sheet says it's only good for 42 days. It's a clear insulin and we were able to use it well beyond the 42 days without noticing a decrease in potency. Others on here have noted challenges with using it too long though so it would be one of those things you'd need to keep an eye on.

If you do buy the levemir vial (vs. the pens) I would recommend leaving a few days worth of doses in the vial before purchasing the next vial - that way you have emergency back up. It's a prescription insulin and if you were to break a vial or leave it out in the heat, etc.. you'd want to have back up.

Because it is prescription, the other consideration is to make sure your vet writes the script for something like 'use as directed' and not for a specific amount of insulin. Our script was written for 5u, which is where my dog started at. He went up to 10u and when we ran out the pharmacist questioned it because at 5u he should have had plenty of insulin left. The pharmacist was great and worked with us once we explained what happened (and because we didn't have the red tape of insurance to work with) but we did have to have the script re-written.

There are not many active levemir users on the forum any more but some users may still 'lurk' and might be able to offer some more updated info on the insulin.

Best of luck to you in getting things sorted out.
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

• Coconut Oil for Diabetic Dogs

Does anyone use coconut oil in their dogs food and if so have you noticed any benefits? I have read it is very good for dogs and helps regulating BG in diabetic dogs also. Thinking of trying it but I wanted to hear some feedback first. Thanks!

Comment

• Re: Coconut Oil for Diabetic Dogs

i have read some articles that parts of the makeup of the fat in coconut can stimulate the pancreas in a digestive phase

now the problem is our pups are prone to pancreatitis which can be a life threatening disease. my jesse spent 10 days in hospital so its something you do want to avoid at all costs

jesse had a change in her supplement last year where they added coconut oil to it . i decided to change her supplement just for that one ingredient change wright or wrong not worth the risk .

i am not saying its a problem and for most it may not be but you must balance your decision on risk and reward .

we have yet to see any real benefit of any supplements that helped with blood sugar regulation . does that mean there is nothing out there and not to try ? thats a good question . who knows the key maybe just an ingredient away but we must be careful. anything tried should be started in small amounts amounts . dogs have very different digestive systems from ours
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X