Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle

I love your description of her style!!!!! She will probably burn those tennis shoes when she is done with rehab

Also - for those that don't live in Minnesota....tennis shoes aren't really for tennis - they are called sneakers everywhere else in the US When I moved from MN to other parts of the country and said I needed new tennis shoes - everyone thought I played tennis - where I was really buying running shoes for running - but "tennis shoes" is the same as "sneakers" (sorry for the sidebar).

Tami
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

ha ha ha. Thank you for interpreting Tami!

She is actually wearing her gray sweat pants today. She must feel rough LOL

The only food Jenny wants to eat is the stuff with liver and we have to get her fatty blood down so I think I am going to try Louise's fish, veggie, rice diet.

she ate her chicken when I topped it with liver this morning but he said her levels are very very high so her we go again

thanks to all of you. and of course her blood sugar was over 400 on his blood test ugh
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Reading along, and laughing about your MIL. What a hoot. I have been blessed in my life to have had a wonder mother in law, which still makes me laugh when I think of the good times, and bought back some good memories I had with her.

Enjoy her.... your surrounded by a bunch of sassy ones, but I know you would not have it any other way.

Barb
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Judi,
          How's Jenny doing these days?

Sadie is still holding her own. Her appetite goes away every few days so feeding time is always a crap shoot. And her hind end seems to be getting worse, (not good on stairs or hopping in the car) so I had to add Glucosamine to the regime, but we're still here.

Hope all is well with you and Jenny.

Judy (and Sadie)
          Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

I'm so glad to hear Sadie is hanging in there. It is hard watching them fade. Jenny sleeps more and is more frail. We just did the road trip to my Dad's (800 miles one way). She did really well again figuring out his house.

She is such a con artist though. My husband stayed with the dogs while I went to meet my new great nephew and when I got back a few hours later Jenny was holding her paw up like it was hurt and not standing on it. 2 years ago when we went to visit my dad she fell off the bed and did hurt that paw.

10 minutes after I got back she forgot she was "hurt" and was walking on it. (after I held her and she whimpered and grumbled to let me know how tough she'd had it)

she cracks me up.

both my husband and dad kept trying to let me know that they think it is her time. but she still wants to play sometimes, wags her tail and stuff. She sleeps more but she is 14. So, I am ignoring them.

She is coughing more so I need to take her in to check her heart.

Hope you had a good 4th! an advantage of a senior dog is that their hearing isn't so hot so the fireworks aren't as scary.
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by jgr789 View Post
              Judi,
              How's Jenny doing these days?

Sadie is still holding her own. Her appetite goes away every few days so feeding time is always a crap shoot. And her hind end seems to be getting worse, (not good on stairs or hopping in the car) so I had to add Glucosamine to the regime, but we're still here.

Hope all is well with you and Jenny.

Judy (and Sadie)
              Jenny won't walk up the stairs anymore either. glad the glucosamine is working

Comment

Awe Judi. Jenny makes me laugh and yet her aging is sad to hear of as well. Coddle her for us too
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks Patty. I still think of Ali way too often since I never met her. these dogs burrow into our hearts

Comment

I know what you mean - we took Maggie to the lake house and she was running around looking for trouble Friday. She has been sleeping non stop since. She really wore herself out. She just seems so frail at times then she will rebound. Nothing to do but wait and see.
                    Last edited by amydunn19; 07-06-2014, 03:15 PM.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

yeah. I think a lot of us are in the same boat. it helps me to know it. thanks Amy

Comment

Aging stinks :/

Extra belly rubs for the diva from us as well...
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

thanks Tami, she was such a good girl she is getting lots of belly rubs. Even with the whole cry wolf thing

It was interesting to watch her acclimate at my Dad's. She did large circles around the living room that smaller, testing to see where she'd bump into things.

by day 3 between Jenny, Ranger, and us, she could track to the kitchen for water, the bedroom for me. it was something

Comment

judi it sounds like her mind is still sharp .sometimes new challenges can stimulate the mind .

glad she figured it out .she is quite the sharp old girl
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                              she still wants to play sometimes, wags her tail and stuff. She sleeps more but she is 14. So, I am ignoring them.
                              Judi, we are new here so we haven't had the pleasure of getting to know Jenny yet, but I wanted to say I had an 18 1/2 yo, and they do, indeed, sleep more , but you know what to do. You are the mommy. I have had wonderful vets who always deferred to mommy instinct, just as my pediatricians do. Tail wagging and playing certainly means she is getting enjoyment from her life, and I suspect she enjoys her naps and cuddling. Plenty of older people who nap a lot as they age, and maybe have some cricks and ailments, but enjoy life and their loved ones. And if your Jenny is up to the task of a little manipulate-the-mommyness then she sounds like she is doing just fine. Even at 18 1/2yo, my baby would perk up her ears and l.o.v.e.d. her meals so very much. She napped in the sun, got lots of extra pets and massages, ate food, and did, indeed, go in her own time. And she was mostly deaf and pretty blind for the last couple of years of her life. Some might have said then was the time, but she didn't think so and enjoyed much beyond that. So love to you both and have beautiful moment together, even when just snuggling.
                              Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!

Comment

Glad to hear she is holding her own Judi. Nice that you feel comfortable in your evaluation of Jenny and aren't letting others influence the decision.

I imagine when I am old I will sleep a lot, but as long as I'm not in pain I would want to stay.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X