Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle

thanks you guys. It makes me feel better to realize I'm not the only one. I suppose after I gave her specific instructions on being careful with my arthritic old girl she felt like it was a natural place for the conversation to go.

we will deal with it. Like Amy said, everyone already thinks I go way overboard anyway and I don't do half of what lots of you do. We haven't done a curve in forever.
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

arthritis is a tough one my sons wife is 26 years old and has rheumatoid arthritis . i wonder how you can spend a lifetime with it but she doesn't complain and just had a baby so life goes on .

i really get the picture of ranger ready to pounce on jenny and she says please i am 90 something give me a break . reminds me of grandchildren chasing after there grandparents .

i haven't done a curve on jesse in a couple years . we have our ups and downs . thats the nature of the disease .

i think what you describe from jenny is a happy old girl sounds like my mom

it is ok to think about the end i actually talk to my mom quite a bit about it just to keep it in the conversation and understand that time will come . i think it does help and not looking at death as something so final but just a transition
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Wow I think that is a strange thing to say too. We're all realists but gosh! I'm weirdly looking forward to 6 weeks from now when it's Charlie's sugarversary
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Awe, Judi, it's difficult enough to watch them age. I had to ask Kinser's groomer to be careful with him this year too.

I'm with you and would have been tempted to cover the ears when the groomer was asking if you'd get another dog. Miss Jenny doesn't need to hear that!

Each day is a blessing - enjoy each and every one with your diva.
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

One day at a time.

Continue the snuggles and loving - it's all you can do.

People ask me all the time about getting another dog...instead of being offended (if Soaphie is present) - I just tell myself that Soaphie is looking at me saying "ya - don't let the love go to waste - you better start thinking about it".

It's all a mindset People really don't mean harm - they just haven't experienced what we have with the conditions our old blue hairs have...
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

thanks again. I like to hear the different perspective you all bring. appreciate it. She was feeling great today. so no more talking in front of her!
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Judy,

I agree with Tami. I really do not think people mean anything, but nonetheless it can be tiresome to hear. I also do think that people realize what an emotional ride this can be.

I have taken 1 year to heal... and you would not believe the amount of people that tell me I should not get another dog, because of how they tie you down, and you should have some freedom..etc, etc.

I have a wonderful neighbor/friend. She said to me.... WHY? Why should people say that.... she said I was a wonderful animal guardian.... and if you want another, you should get another.

People can be insensitive, but those are the ones that never walked in our shoes.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi everyone,
                  Havent been on much,just reading,but wanted to chime in.people dont mean to be so insensetive.all the time people,even friends,ask why i do so much for sissy.??? What??? They' ve got to be kidding. Lol,i am taking her to my grandsons wedding because it is just before her food and insulin time!!!! Also judi,i give sissy her fish oil in a little dab of fat free cream cheese.i prick the pill and empty it over the cream cheese.she loves it and it doesnt change her numbers... Nice to see you all.
                  Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Know exactly how you feel, Judi. I try to remember the comments wouldn't have been made if they weren't trying to help, ... in their own way. Everyone who counts knew how long Otis was with me and how much I thought of him, so they avoided "giving advice".

It's a tough, tough situation when you have an aging pet who is very dear to you and you know their time to leave is getting close. One of the most stressful situations I've been through, and still has some impact on me.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

thanks again everyone. I know you have all been there and it does help. We are joking about it now. She felt perky enough last night to give my husband grief for not getting to the door fast enough to let her in. yay

Comment

Hugs to Jenny, Judi
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks Patty, It's good to see you.

We set a new low (literally) in pet care this morning. I haven't tested Jenny's sugar the last 2 days to give her lip a break and she had been pretty consistent.

This morning when I put her outside her back legs were too weak to hold her up. It was pathetic.

On my One Touch Ultra she was 24 thank goodness she is one tough little poodle. Had some syrup, had some breakfast, had NO insulin and she was barking and rambling around when I left.

At lunch she was 424. Roller coaster ride again.

my poor baby Jenny, the things she puts up with (and survives!). It is nothing short of a miracle. No more skipping testing.

Comment

wow judi

symptoms and the inner voice can get the job done but testing takes less concentration .

i tried to eliminate one of jesses 3 tests a day . did not work out to well . went back to the 3

its amazing the cure is so simple for low blood sugar . glad she back to diva status
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yikes!!!!! Jenny just passed Milo's all time low of 33. Its scary seeing those low numbers. Thank goodness for honey & karo

Carol & Milo

Comment

You're a fantastic mom, Judi!
                                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                                X