View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Yikes! 69 blood glucose reading at +5 hours.

Annie has had a "mountain" shaped curve for years. This is when the blood glucose rises for about 6 hours, and then comes down and the lowest reading is at, or just before, the next meal / injection. I've made changes in her meals before and the curve remained the mountain shape, so I generally test before meals and just assume the blood glucose will increase after the meal.

We were bored yesterday afternoon and tested at +5 hours and was shocked to see a 69. I fed a small meal and let her go until the regular dinner time where she tested a typical 150ish. I reduced her dosage by unit, and slightly increased the size of her dinner. I failed to test before bed, but she tested at 135 at breakfast this morning. I reduced her morning insulin another unit (from 8 to 7 units (total decrease)). Surprised when I did a test at +5 hours and she tested 70! Dropped about 10-12 pieces of kibble into her bowl that she ate right away, so I doubt her blood glucose will drop any more.

Fun times ahead. Glad I have several boxes of test strips on hand!

Guess the new diet makes a difference !

Craig