View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Question about protein in diets

Thanks Carol, I'll be sure to tell that to Bailey who loves his Orijen Senior. Maybe that's why his levels are so inconsistent! His kidneys seem to be fine however.

Most studies, have shown that high protein food have no affect on dogs with healthy kidneys. If anyone knows of a good scientific study that definitely shows that high protein food causes kidney problems, please post it. I don't believe studies done on dogs with existing kidney problems have been able to prove that high protein foods do, or don't cause problems in those dogs, so I don't think it's recommended for dogs with existing problems.

I don't believe Champion Foods (Orijen & Acana) have done, commissioned or published any studies of their own. They mainly quote other well regarded studies and I think you'll have trouble finding any recent studies that prove that high protein foods cause kidney problems and usually they end up proving the opposite. Champion is a very reputable company and they have refused to do things in the past that could have increased their sales because there was possibility of it affecting the quality of the food. Most reports that high protein foods cause kidney problems are unproved and based on rumor and hearsay. If a dog went into kidney failure while eating a high protein food that doesn't prove that the food caused the kidney failure. I've already lost one Rottie to kidney failure who never had high protein food. Maybe that was the problem.

I don't think high protein foods like Orijen are the best choice for all diabetic dogs, but they do have their place for those dogs that don't tolerate grains. I don't think the problem is the high protein as much as the higher fat content that seems to go along with the high protein grain free foods. I do think that there is a trade off. Bailey doesn't tolerate corn and all the grains I've tried to feed him tend to cause his glucose levels to spike unacceptably high, so grain free foods are my best option since I'm too poor to feed raw and too lazy to cook his food. Grain free foods tend to be higher in protein and fat and the Orijen Senior has the lowest fat I've found in a grain free kibble, even though I wish it was lower and may be too high for some dogs. I add fiber in the form of steamed yellow squash, Quinoa and Psyllium husks. (Thanks Patty).

W/D works for many diabetic dogs, but many dogs don't like it and won't eat it. It lists corn as its first ingredient, so that rules it out for Bailey. It's not that he won't eat it, the problem is that it irritates his bowel and he just stops eating altogether until I give him something with no corn. If Jenny is eating it, I'd stick with it unless she does stop eating it and continue to monitor her glucose readings. If Jenny does start having trouble with the W/D, I would try the Blue Buffalo weight control diet because a lot of people have had good results with it. I can't think of their exact name for it right now, but if you decide to change, many of us can find it for you. One reason a lot of vets recommend the W/D however is because the sell it through their clinic, so profit from selling it.

Aside from my giving her a hard time for stating rumor and hearsay instead of fact and accusing a reputable company of doing things it hasn't, Carol has asked some good questions that we need to know in order to help and give good suggestions and recommendations. Be honest Carol, you've missed me haven't you.

The most important thing you can do is be consistent in everything you do. Don't make changes for no reason, or just for the sake of change. Don't change too quickly, give what you're doing a chance to work or fail, but be flexible enough to make changes if they are necessary. I've made almost all of the above mistakes and I'm hoping you benefit from my experience.