No announcement yet.

Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Sorry to hear this, Craig, ... but you certainly know how to handle the situation. Expecting you to be out of that diabetic loop in short order!!
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

You must have been feeling left out all these years! 8)

So will you be letting Annie test you?!?

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
        You must have been feeling left out all these years! 8)

So will you be letting Annie test you?!?

Natalie
        She has followed me to OUR testing counter and seemed confused when I didn't test her.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I will bet Annie thinks you should try all the meters to compare and see which meter works best for Hoomans. So, start stickng
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Yeah - I concur - I think Annie will want to test you....A LOT!

Sorry to hear this - but you are an expert and are in good hands (and paws)!
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Just wanted to show any new members what a little excitement can do to the blood glucose.

5:30a - 201 (gave normal meal and insulin)
              Noon - grooming
              1:00p - 76 (gave 5 fingernail sized treats)

The excitement was a hard grooming session in which Annie wasn't cooperating at all. It amazes me how a 15 year old blind pup can fight! Today was the hair cut, tomorrow will be the trip to the local Puppy Self-Wash place.

By the way, I'm still on Annie's buddy list because I didn't have anything to do with her torture today. Linda, and our son, are not on Annie's buddy list!

Craig
              Last edited by CraigM; 02-19-2017, 07:26 PM.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello Craig & family!

I wish the grooming experiences would be less stressful on my pup as well...we've tried at least 4 different options and the current one has the closest location, which is a plus for a dog that absolutely dreads to go for any type of car rides

I have cancelled his dental cleaning due to many reasons...I hope this is the best decision.

Best wishes on your own journey, I am sure you'll make the best of it playing with all those glucose meters in your collection!
                Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  Just wanted to show any new members what a little excitement can do to the blood glucose.

5:30a - 201 (gave normal meal and insulin)
                  Noon - grooming
                  1:00p - 76 (gave 5 fingernail sized treats)

The excitement was a hard grooming session in which Annie wasn't cooperating at all. It amazes me how a 15 year old blind pup can fight! Today was the hair cut, tomorrow will be the trip to the local Puppy Self-Wash place.

By the way, I'm still on Annie's buddy list because I didn't have anything to do with her torture today. Linda, and our son, are not on Annie's buddy list!

Craig
                  Craig - Sorry to see your blood sugar going all wacky when Annie tried to groom you. I know hair cuts, by a blind dog, nonetheless, are a source of stress.

Please be assured your hair looks great, despite Annie's lack of vision.
                  Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

What the heck?!

Yesterday evening Annie tested 490, followed by a 511 retest a few minutes later

No panic, but wondered what went wrong because she has been pretty great for a long time. Wonder if I had an "air" shot because her flank is getting furry and hard to see the skin when I inject. Or, did I actually forget to give the insulin?? Or, were these false readings?

The reason I even considered it being false readings from the PetTest meter is because three hours after the 511, she tested 250ish using the AlphaTrak. Then two hours after that, I discovered the PetTest was dead: dead batteries. I replaced the batteries, and it returned to life testing around 250. Who knows? She was 140 this morning, so back to normal (if there is such a thing as "normal").

Appetite help. I've found something that seems to make her lick her dish clean: probiotics. Actually, I think the doggy style probiotics contain flavorings that she really likes. She's currently eating a mix of dry kibble and canned, and I've been mixing in the probiotic powder. I've tried https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...otics+for+dogs I guessing most all have flavorings to get the pups to eat the powder.

Craig

Comment

Weak batteries is my guess.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                        Weak batteries is my guess.
                        Could be. She was back to her normal dosage this morning, and just tested at 96 on the PetTest before dinner. No worries with the 96 because I know she will rise now and her morning test is almost always higher on this dosage.

Craig

Comment

Will be an interesting day. We are having a cookout (I smoked a pork butt and beef brisket) and our human son brought his three dogs to play with Annie. Of course, Annie is not having anything to do with them. I'm surprised the three dogs are ignoring Annie. It's nice having active dogs in the house. One is a Boxer (Cooper) who thinks he is a lap dog!

It will be interesting to see if Annie joins in the festivities, and where her blood glucose reads this evening.

Nothing else to report. I'm preparing myself to make "the decision". Blind, deaf and dementia; but she still has good moments.

Craig

Comment

Enjoy the day and your moments with Annie The BBQ sounds delicious!
                            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                            Diabetes: Aug 2013
                            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

one day at a time craig . its been that way with me and jesse for a long time

she surprises me every day

food sounds tasty
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Enjoy the day with your furry family and family!!!
                                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                                X