View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Levi - new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudgirlgonebiker View Post
We cant afford the cost of dog insulin and the vet suggested Lantus. They didnt seem to know too much about any other insulin. I have no idea how to post his curve here. He weighs 71 pounds. He will be 13 in april /19. Hes a smooth coated border/retriever cross. It wont let me upload a photo.
Hi and welcome to you and Levi.

Don’t worry about uploading his 12 hour curve. You can just key it in. Starting at fasting, with a BG reading every 2 hours, it would look something like this:

7am - BG Reading
9am -
11am -
1pm -
3pm -
5pm -
7pm -

With cost being an issue and considering that you are diabetic and already using Lantus, I would think it’s ok to give ite a try. A couple of our members have given it to their dogs with mixed results. It’s mainly used for cats. However, the AAHA considers it an option for dogs, with a starting dose of .3 units per kg.

With Levi weighing 71lbs or 32kg, his starting dose should have been around 9 units of Lantus every 12 hours.

Not sure if Canadian Wal Marts sell Novolin N, an NPH insulin, but in the USA it’s $25 per vial.

Keep in mind that diabetic dogs are type 1 diabetics. Their pancreas no longer produces insulin. It’s best to feed them a low fat, moderate protein, moderate fiber diet every 12 hours, followed by their insulin.

Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 09-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.