Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

I am 8 weeks into this journey with my 9 yr old bichon.it has been a lot of reading and trial and error.I have just gotten her within range,100-220!! Woohoo.she is on humilin n,7 u.its twice a day.I have found the most expensive thing is the alpha trak 2 strips. I am using a lot right now.I hope that slows down.Sissy is on 2 meals a day now,we tried 3 but couldn't get her numbers low enough.she was often 500-600. She was on w/d,but DCO by purina has turned out to work better for her. I can't express how much help this site has been.it is wonderful.thank everyone who has posted for their input. I will keep looking for better,safer ideas.!!! I also had to deal with bad food allergie too,however,they seem to have taken a back seat to diabetes,and with dco have not had any trouble,thank goodness because steroids r a no no.
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Re: trouble regulating my SIssy

Hi and welcome to you!
    Sounds like you are doing really well Congrats on finding a balance that works for Sissy.
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: Just found out bob has diabetis

Does anyone give their dog a lower insulin dose at nite?? I give 7 units in am and like to give 61/2 at nite,now that Sissys numbers r coming down. I am scared for it to go to low at nite and have her crash????
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Sure, I think there are others that give a slightly reduced dosage in the evening for safety.

In Annie's situation, I actually give 1/4 unit more in the evening. Through testing, I've seen she would normally have higher numbers overnight if I kept the dosage the same for both injections. The theory is that she is much less active at night (think of nighttime as anti-exercise) and doesn't get the insulin into use. Yea, I know, sounds backwards but works that way for us. Remember, every dog is different.

Home testing would help show what exercise, or in this case, sleep does to the blood glucose.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Re: wow,sissy almost crashed!!

Scary stuff.Sissy just got low,had to feed her.Does the amount of insulin u give in the morning affect the nite dose or does it wear off so the next dose stands alone?? Wow,there is so much to learn. Still a beginner!

Comment

Insulin can last more than 12 hours, especially if you've had a low. But it also depends on how much the food you gave raised her blood sugar. I would usually reduce insulin if you've had a low episode.

If she's really low, you would need to give some honey, karo syrup or regular pancake syrup to get into her system immediately then follow up with food which has a longer lasting affect.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: wow,sissy almost crashed!!

Originally posted by stylynjm
              Scary stuff.Sissy just got low,had to feed her.Does the amount of insulin u give in the morning affect the nite dose or does it wear off so the next dose stands alone?? Wow,there is so much to learn. Still a beginner!
              What was Sissy's reading? Did you discover the low reading while doing a curve, or a single spot test? If you were doing a curve, can you post the earlier readings?

Different dogs use their insulin differently. Some dogs (Annie) "use up" their insulin within about 12 hours. Other dogs seem to get more than 12 hours from an injection.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Can you give us a bit more information about Sissy. How much does she weigh? You are currently giving 7 units, what was the previous dosage, and did you run a curve prior to increasing to 7 units? Can you post that curve? Did Sissy "exercise" within an hour or two prior to today's "low" reading?

Comment

Seems every dog is different. Decker gets overlap (more than 12 hours of duration, spilling into his next injection time) from his morning to evening shot (runs about 14 hours). But evening to morning he gets 12 hours or sometimes less.

If you are willing to run a night time curve, starting before evening fasting through morning fasting, every two hours, it may give you a better picture of how Sissy process the insulin day time vs night time.

Have run a couple of 24 hour curves with Decker because his morning and evening fastings are about 100 points difference. Just set my cell phone alarm for every two hours, get up, test, record and thankfully am able to fall back asleep until the next alarm. Still find myself a bit tired the next day though - lol!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

From Visitor Message:
                    Hi party,I did lower Sissy dose.we e now at 61/2. I don't understand how u know whether the insulin lasts less or more than 12 hrs.what tells u that. Thanks,Jackie
                    Hi Jackie,
                    I wanted to bring this info to Sissy's thread. To determine whether you have overlap of insulin you would need a few curves to compare. Often you'll see a drop at the end of 12 hours and no or very little rise after the next food/injection. The overlapping insulin can push numbers down further into the next 12 hour time frame. But your curves can help sort that out.

I would wait about 5 days to let the new dose settle in, as long as you don't have any more lows. Then do another curve to see how things are looking.

Patty

Comment

Hi Patty,went over her numbers with vet yesterday.we r going to leave her on 61/2 for a week, then if no lows,do a 12 hr curve. I like to give her 6 at night,but not sure.I worry about lows.if she goes low during day again,ur experience is to go back 1/2???? Then would u stay at the lower amount,or would it just be for the one dose after the low???? Thanks,Jackie
                      Hi Jackie,
                      Bringing this to your thread so all the info is in one place. I think if the lows you were getting were with 7u then backing off to 6 1/2u would be fine. I'd leave it there for 5-7 days then do another curve to determine how this dose is doing.

Patty

Comment

Hi Patty,thank u so much.I am having trouble navigating the site on my phone. Hope this is posting right. I am doing 6 units at nite and 61/2 in am. I am checking her during peak??? Time. The vet thinks she is peaking between 4 - 8 hrs.I think so too.will k.ow better after this week. Then I am doing curve.then I will be able to figure it out better with the help of all of u. Don't know if I can post curve,but I can list numbers.!! Lol,is new computer is in the plan in the next few months!!!! Woohoo

Comment

Patty,is there a way,from the main page, that can save my thread so i can get to it easier.I have a horrible time finding.I go to diabetes discussion.,them regulation ,then find my thread,etc.is there an easier way?? Lol

Comment

Jackie,
                            Are you able to save a link to "favorites" in your phone? I would save the link once you're on Sissy's thread to your phone maybe.

You can also click on your name stylynjm and it will take you to your profile page. From there click on Statistics and then all threads created by you. That will list Sissy's thread.

Or there's a way to subscribe to a thread and I'd have to walk through it because I've not used it before. It would be under Options I think in the User CP.
                            Patty

Comment

Thanks again Patty.I saved it to my bookmarks!! Also I did find it in user cp I am concerned tonite because Sissy threw up.it was before food and insulin,but what do u do if they throw up after insulin???;;.

Comment

Working...
                              X