No announcement yet.

Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

HI Rick,
    I predict that you will keep her.She seems to do well with the clan.
    Marianne
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Wow - certainly doesn't look pregnant any more!

Must have been the combined effect of having had multiple litters (as well as one relatively recently) and having recently stuffed herself with dry food.

My Mia, who had a BIG pot belly when she was actively Cushingoid, has, I think, been permanently slightly "stretched" by the prolonged abdominal distention while under the influence of a tissue weakening/softening hormone (cortisol) so that now although her pot belly is completely gone for all intents and purposes she does look a bit more "gutty" than she formerly did if she eats a lot at one time. She doesn't get dry food but I bet if she ate a lot at one sitting her belly could look quite big for a while after - particularly if she was sitting down.

Pregnancy also makes for abdominal distention while under the influence of a tissue softening hormone (relaxin) so the result could be similar. Seems to happen in humans too.

I do so hope she is one of the lucky "cataract resistant" diabetic dogs.

Alison

Comment

I just love the photos! Thank you Rick!

I must confess, I lost more than just a night's sleep, worrying about what would happen to Lucy if that month's worth of insulin ran out before we could find someone who could take her, even just as a temporary foster.

Just look at her, running and playing with her new friends! How could anyone even think of ending her life just because she was dxed with diabetes. It's beyond me.

Give her a hug from me Rick, please.

Comment

I just got to see the pics of Lucy playing with the pack for the first time. Now that's a thing of beauty.

Glynda

Comment

Hi Rick,

Sent you an email... Marianne is sending you a OneTouch Ultra 2 meter and I will be sending you 100 test strips to go with it (it comes with 10) plus I'll probably send you a SoftClix lancing device since most people who used a lancing device liked that one best.

You'll probably see both arrive around the end of next week.

LOVED the pics of Lucie running! I've got my hands full here but if I didn't, I'd snap her up in a minute.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
              Hi Rick,

Sent you an email... Marianne is sending you a OneTouch Ultra 2 meter and I will be sending you 100 test strips to go with it (it comes with 10) plus I'll probably send you a SoftClix lancing device since most people who used a lancing device liked that one best.

Natalie
              Wonderful! That's great news.

I watched your video with Chris. Very impressive! I will be giving the lip a try maybe, but I'm thinking paw pad might work better. Lucy seems to have no problem with me handling her anywhere, including her feet. I'll see how she handles me playing with her lips.

On another subject...

I checked out some meaty jerky treats of which I have several pounds. I was surprised to find they are only 5% fat! Lucy LOVES 'em. They are "Jerky Treats Plus" from Costco. I'm using small bits of them as rewards for being SO good at taking her shots.

They DO contain soy & corn syrup.
              Watcha think?

hehe.. my other dogs love 'em too but the treats give them NASTY gas!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Fishslayer View Post
                I checked out some meaty jerky treats of which I have several pounds. I was surprised to find they are only 5% fat! Lucy LOVES 'em. They are "Jerky Treats Plus" from Costco. I'm using small bits of them as rewards for being SO good at taking her shots.
                I don't want to be a "party pooper" but does it say on the label where those jerky treats were made or where they may have been imported from? I hope they are not imported from China ...

FDA Continues To Receive Complaints about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs and Cautions Consumers:
                http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453

Comment

I use old western moo moos or baa baas. they are freeze dried protein. My dogs stomp their paw at the pantry for them no sugars
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Corn syrup would not be good and I would be concerned about contamination. Better to use plain meat tenders but it takes some scouting around to make sure you have something that was NOT made in China. Rawhides, for example, are mostly made there but at the pet stores like Petsmart you can find ones made elsewhere.

Jack's been practicing his recall on plain old turkey lunch meat - plenty of odor for him - he will come back a long way for a piece of that.

Comment

Treats & meals

Thanks for the replies. The ingredients list says "American Beef."

Anyway, I'll see if there's something else she likes. She only gets a couple small pieces a day. We train with her meal kibble. Tonight she quit waiting for the command and would "sit" or "come" as soon as she finished the last reward.

She eats her evening meal with gusto but her AM meal not so much. She does eat at least a cup so I can giver her her shot. I give her the rest of her brekkie about 11:00 AM & she eats it.

My scale says she has gained a pound. The wife agrees that her ribs & backbone do not look quite as "sharp" against her skin.

Oh yeah. Finally got around to bathing her today. Wasn't too bad, but NOT her favorite activity! At least she doesn't get the zoomies & rub against everything afterwards like Dingo does.

Rick

Comment

Re: Treats & meals

Oh yeah. Finally got around to bathing her today. Wasn't too bad, but NOT her favorite activity! At least she doesn't get the zoomies & rub against everything afterwards like Dingo does. Rick
                        What, no bath pictures???

Comment

Originally posted by acushdogsmom View Post
                          What, no bath pictures???
                          She's a LADY!

She has her dignity!

Rick

Comment

She's a LADY!

She has her dignity!

Rick
                            Of course she is! My bad! What was I thinking?

Comment

Very exciting that she's putting on weight!

Seems like a lot of dogs are not big on breakfast. Chris was and Jack is ready to eat pretty much any time I'd like to offer but I often hear about dogs who have just flat refused to eat breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                                Very exciting that she's putting on weight!

Seems like a lot of dogs are not big on breakfast. Chris was and Jack is ready to eat pretty much any time I'd like to offer but I often hear about dogs who have just flat refused to eat breakfast.
                                hehe...so today she decides she WANTS her brekkie! Go figure.

She's a clever girl. We did "stay" & "come" this AM. After about two reps she ate her reward & dashed right back to the starting point, sat down & waited for the next command.

I've added a "weight" line to her Diastix log so I can track her weight gains or losses. There was quite a difference from my bathroom scale & the scale at the vets but I'll be able to see her trend.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X