No announcement yet.

Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

Hi Rick, it's about time I said "Hello" to you!! For some unknown reason just never got around to doing that. Sorry!
    Been following your thread from day one and wanted to tell you that your doing an awesome job with your foster baby! You took on the task of caring for this "sugarbaby" voluntarily! My hat off to you Lucy is a lucky (and as I understand happy) girl, because of you!!
    Keep up the good work!
    Best wishes
    Last edited by Cara's Mom; 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM.
    Marion

Comment

Wow that's great! Congratulations
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
        Hi Rick, it's about time I said "Hello" to you!! For some unknown reason just never got around to doing that. Sorry!
        Been following your thread from day one and wanted to tell you that your doing an awesome job with your foster baby! You took on the task of caring for this "sugarbaby" voluntarily! My hat off to you Lucy is a lucky (and as I understand happy) girl, because of you!!
        Keep up the good work!
        Best wishes
        Thanks! As you surely know Lucy has been a total team effort. I have a lot of new (and a few older) friends helping out.

She's a good girl. She is destined to be somebody's heart dog for sure.

Rick

Comment

• Lucy Spay Update

Long story, but we are having Lucy spayed elsewhere. I'm just not happy with our regular vet.

This place was recommended to me.

http://www.mypetsdr.com/

Well, we went by an adoption event at Petsmart that Pet Care Center was having that day. Met some folks. Met some dogs. Met some of the Pet Care Center staff.

Then we went up to the Pet Care Center. VERY nice staff. Everybody we came in contact with seemed genuinely concerned for the animals.

Dr Wheaton himself spent about an hour with us discussing Lucy's history & treatment for her. He seems quite knowledgable about diabetes and understood the urgency of getting her spayed before her next heat. Our appointment is for the 24th but I'm going to call Monday & let them know I'll fill a cancellation if they get one before then. My schedule is loose at the moment...

Ummm... I may have found my next foster After we were finished with Lucy's exam they let me meet one of their rescued Cattle Dogs. A lovely little light blue speckled female with a beautiful grin and a docked tail that positively vibrated it was moving so fast. She was SUCH a sweetheart! She's not getting enough exercise though & really needs a forever home.

http://www.mypetsdr.com/ hint hint
          Last edited by Fishslayer; 02-15-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Hey Rick,

I've been swamped at home this weekend so haven't had a chance to respond yet to the emails about your appointment with Dr. Wheaton. I am SO excited that this turned out to be a good veterinarian for Lucy and that he's scheduled the spay plus has adoption events so Lucy can get some exposure... it's all just the most wonderful news for Lucy!!

I've got a handful of donations here and some still arriving so we should be in good shape for financing it.

Give Lucy a scritch from me... I'm jealous that the rest of the rescue team might get to meet her!

Natalie

Comment

• Lucy's getting spayed tomorrow! And a disaster...

The Pet Care Center had a cancellation so Lucy is getting spayed tomorrow. That's the good news.

Bad news... I messed up two BG tests today. I have no idea why. Nice big drop, started sucking up the strip... and stopped just short. Twice. There's actually blood left over, the strip just quit taking it.

Am I doing something wrong? This happens once in awhile & I don't think I'm doing anything differently.

So now I have one strip left & a package due tomorrow. Do I use it tonight or wait till tomorrow?

I had kind of hoped to get a comparison between my meter & the lab number.

We'll be heading up there about 6:00 AM. I normally test at 7:30, feed at 7:45 and inject at 8:00 AM so the schedule itself is perfect.

Paws crossed!

These are her #s from the last three days...

2/14 AM 190
              2/14 PM 398

2/15 AM 301
              2/15 PM 176

2/16 7:36 AM 129
              2/16 9:05 AM 202
              2/16 10:17 AM 286
              2/16 12:06 PM 204

Rick
              Last edited by Fishslayer; 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

It's possible to get bad strips... maybe they dried out or otherwise aren't taking up the blood properly.

If you can manage to purchase a bottle of test strips locally tonight, I could reimburse you for them.

Natalie

Comment

Well, nobody in town has 25's. Best I found was $55 for 50.

I didn't think it was a dire emergency, sooo.

If you think it's an emergency I can probly still go get 'em.

It's time for Lucy's meal & injection anyway.

Rick
                  Last edited by Fishslayer; 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

They are a bit pricey when you buy them at the pharmacy. Hocks sells the same thing for about $39.

Comment

Just stopped by to say Hi Rick, I get agitated with the strips also, I wish they would come down in price.
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Rick:

I also wanted to stop by and say hi to you. I've been reading up on Lucie and will follow her story. What a wonderful person you are to take her in. Have you had diabetic animals before?

Pam

Comment

Natalie
                          Sent that small donation today. Sorry it took me so long.

Comment

Just talked to Rick. Lucy is home after being spayed today and seems to be doing well!

They both had a long day so it may be tomorrow before he gets a chance to post.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks for the update Natalie. Lucy and Rick(y) ( couldn't resist, sorry!) both deserve to get a good night's sleep tonight.

Comment

Sleep tight Rick--y and Lucy, all will be well in the morning.
                                Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                                X