• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

at this point your pup balance's insulin with the body very well

onset of insulin for my jesse is 1.5 hours after shot

food does not have a big affect for my jesse probably the lack of carbs

your doing a great job hope things continue to stay smooth
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

6 am 199 (before food and insulin)
      8 am 190
      10 am 199 AT2 and 107 Prime
      12 pm 229

Hmmm
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Wow that's pretty level.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So our curve today was...
          6 am 199 (before food and insulin)
          8 am 190
          10 am 199 AT2 and 107 Prime
          12 pm 229
          2 pm 192 AT2 and 132 Prime
          4 pm 205 (vet AT) 246 (our AT2) 209 (our Prime
          6 pm 236

We went to the vet at 4 to check Vinny, our meters and get more insulin and food. Our vet didn't think it was necessary to home test, but when I walked in with all of the info I had and explained that we had reduced his insulin and why...he was impressed! He asked if I was a nurse and if I had been thinking I would have said "No, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I just told him I was anal and I do a lot of research. He wants us to bring up Vinny's dose to 18 units 2x's a day then do another curve and let him know how it looks.

Thanks to all of you for making me look so good!
          Mel
          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

When you are this close I would do a half unit respectfully disagreeing with your vet . Congrats on the curve. You have graduated!!!!!!!! Yeah!
            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Way to go, Mel! Sounds like a cooperative vet who hopefully will work with you.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                When you are this close I would do a half unit respectfully disagreeing with your vet . Congrats on the curve. You have graduated!!!!!!!! Yeah!
                I looked back to see what dose The Monster was on for this curve, but I agree with Peggy. I would do the increases very gradually from here on and let them settle in for a week.

Boy, I would have killed for such a flat curve.

Tara
                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Good job Mel your doing great with Vinnie. He is feeling a lot better.

ditto on a half dose increase. you dont want to miss his magic number.

its been 7 days since your last change.

keep up the good work

mo
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Those are beautiful numbers!!!! I agree on the 1/2u increase!

Sandy

Comment

Sweet blood sugar levels Mel!!

I absolutely would not raise the dose more than half a unit. I used to adjust our dog's insulin in quarter units using syringes with half unit marks. It can make a big difference when you have such great blood sugar already. Some dogs never get better regulation than what you have now.

Hope you will turn your vet into a home testing advocate!

Natalie

Comment

Well, I just took the opportunity to test Vinny after some rough-housing (chasing around the yard and hard playing for 5-10 min) with our other dog Bogey. It was 52! I was expecting it to go low, but not that much! He wasn't acting wobbly or anything, but got a milk-bone anyway and a little treat for letting me test him.

So, short of not letting him be a dog, here's what I'm thinking. Whenever the dogs play, Vinny is going to get a milk-bone and be watched closely for any other signs. Does that seem reasonable?

Mel

Comment

I think this is what some who exercise their pups have to do: small carb before / during the activity. Guess I'm happy that Annie & I are old couch potato types

It will be interesting to see readings later today. I'm wondering if this activity "uses up" his insulin and he will be high this afternoon? I really don't know, just wondering and if it does happen this way what can be done?

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Mel. Did you raise his insulin?
                            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I was just going to ask the same question .
                              On the 12th around 8ish he was 190 today 52. Big drop

I would also check him around 8:15 everday

Mo
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

a carby snack is definitely a good idea. I know that on weekends Jenny gets more exercise so I cut her morning insulin on days when I know that will happen.

If it is something you can plan for, that is another option.
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X