View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: New and pretty overwhelmed

hi and welcome

i can tell you from being on the forum everybody figures how to give shots that works for caretaker and dog no choice

some here on the forum have dogs that were biting and had to resort to a muzzle which was temporary until the dog understood this is the way its going to be the rest of there lives

from being on the forum once a day shots have not had much success i think i may have seen a couple that could do it but no one active with that method at this time most do 2 shots 2 meals 12 hours apart

as far as getting cataracts its not guaranteed my jesse has been diabetic for 7 years and is still good ( knock on wood ) my girl actually has epilepsy for her whole life but she never went on medication and actually the last couple years her seizures have greatly reduced dont know why but we are grateful for any relief

as far as shots i give jesses when her face is in her food bowl . i pull up some loose skin on her backside on either side of her spine maybe 6 inches up from her tail put the needle in she pauses eating for a second and inject and she goes back to eating but jesse has been good about shots and testing her blood sugar at home

you do have to be comfortable with the process and you will
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .