Newly diagnosed, wondering about food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed, wondering about food

Hello. Our dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week and we have started him on insulin. I am at a complete loss as to what to feed him though. He used to be on raw food (Answers - patties) but I was told it's not good for him and to find something else. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Newly diagnosed, wondering about food

When Romeo was first diagnosed vet had told me low carb so I went that way and he got dreadfully ill. Low to high blood sugar swings, weakness, weight loss. People on this site saved him by telling me low carb does not work well for diabetic dogs. Saved his life. He is now on Natures Balance L.I.D. Bison sweet potato, supplemented with ground turkey. He is so healthy! So grateful for this forum.
    Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

Hi and welcome .

Deb gave some great advice . Food normally has to be balanced and that includes carbs so insulin has some immediate sugar to work with as deb suggested without it you get big swings in sugar

I made the mistake giving jesse just raw meat in the beginning of this journey and had the same problem as deb with big swings . I actually kept her on a raw diet but I included carbs to make it more balanced

Eventually overtime I cooked all her food even the veggies just to help with digestion and contamination

So she has stayed on a homemade diet and that has worked well for her

All diets seem to work if balanced with carbs from lower end to high end commercial diets to homemade . Grain free and just protein diets are not so good and sometimes you see that in the higher end foods as far as cost .

recommend testing blood sugar at home . Will keep your pup safe and move the regulation process a bit faster . Now some vets may frown on that ( still living in a past ) but many do embrace it . Once regulated normally you can reduce the amount of testing at home .

Ask what ever you want . You will enter a new normal and after a short time its not a big deal . almost all find a good place to be . Dogs live normal happy lives with some limitations
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Generally you want food that has moderate fiber/carbs and protein, and somewhat low fat if possible.
        Many vets recommend Hills WD, so I search for food that was close to that in terms of fat, protein, fiber, etc. Turned out to be Wellness Senior formula can food for my dog. But many foods work for dogs, it's a bit of trial.

It takes a little research but try something for a bit and see how sugars react. Early in diabetes things will go against expectations as the body makes a lot of adjustments. So don't expect fast improvements, and blame the food. Give it some time before jumping to any conclusion. Patience is your best friend in this process, along with consistency and methodical.

Please test sugar at home so that you can monitor things better and make the best adjustments in insulin as time goes on.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
        X