View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Help I'm reading the boards..

First, remember most of us have experience with our diabetic pups, but are not veterinarians. You will read "every dog / situation is different", so what works with one dog might nor work for another.

Sounds like $600+ per month for food is going to be a problem. I'm not familiar with your previous food, but the general thoughts are that a food that is lower than average in fat, and higher than average in fiber, is good for a diabetic. You can read labels and various websites to search for low fat foods. A few of us add fiber (Benefiber in my Annie's case), or other high fiber additives. For several years I added black beans to her meals because I believe the are high fiber and protein, while low in fat. I stopped adding black beans just because it became a chore for me, might restart in the future. Of course, getting them to eat a consistent meal, without vomitting, is needed.

Did the vet send you to Walmart for the Novolin-N? Novolin-N is $25/vial there, but often $125+ at other places. Syringes are also normally less expensive at Walmart.

The vet might be planning to do a full day "curve" where they blood test every two hours or so. This is good, but the pup probably needs to have been on a consistent meal / injection for a couple of days. Most on the forum home blood test and would do the "curve" at home using a standard hand held meter. There are videos of blood testing on this website, or search YouTube for "testing diabetic dog". Here is an article that I review from time-to-time:
http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Craig