Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Hi. I have a 12 yo diabetic JRT and just wanted to say hello. She was diagnosed five years ago so I am not new to diabetes - feel like it has been my whole life for the last five years. I test at home and have been for about three years. Maggie is doing great - no real problems or issues so I won't take up valuable time and space but I did want to say hello in case I wanted to chime in or have a question. Of course, there is always more to learn and you can never have enough knowledge. Forums like this are so valuable so big thanks to the admins and members for sharing their stories to help others.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Re: Introducing Maggie

Welcome to you and Maggie.
    It sounds like you have done a wonderful job with Maggie, and yes, it does seem like diabetes becomes your life.... I for one would not want it any other way.

Thanks for posting, and we would love to hear from you.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

hello nice to see you here

the disease has taught me so much not just about the disease but life

i dont think i would change anything i know that sounds weird challenges put in front of us are meant to be there for a reason to teach and learn to understand with love and compassion

as barb said you done a fantastic job for caring for your pup and it is good to search things out one thing i noticed about this disease things can change quite quickly and its nice to have some help and understanding
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Assuming your name is Amy , a Big, Fat Welcome to you and to Maggie, to this really magnificent forum on canine diabetes.

It's fairly rare for us to have a newcomer show up with a diabetic dog, with all under a really decent control! Wonderful to have new members like you and Maggie!

Oh, and - those TERRIERS! Who could resist!

Thanks for introducing Maggie here; I look forward to more of her story - and yours, since our stories, obviously, are inextricably intertwined with those of our dogs!

Post away!

Hugs to you and Maggie,
        Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:04:13 (PST)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Welcome and never worry about taking up valuable time and space. As you have been doing well with your pup you might be able to help one of us with something you share, that's how this all works. Each dog is different and you never know what gem is going to be just what another member has been searching for.

Yeah, doesn't it take over your life? great benefits to though, this forum and it's community being one.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Welcome! So glad you're here. It's great to have experienced folks here to help newbies and to learn from.
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Welcome. Maggie is adorably cute! Judi
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Amy welcome to you and Maggie!

How effective have her allergy shots been for her? We tried this with my golden in '03 I think but they weren't much help for us. Doc told us it was a 50/50 chance of being beneficial. Allergies are certainly rough!

Glad Maggie is doing well.
                Take care,
                Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome to you and Maggie! Great to hear a success story and she is sooooo cute! Would love to hear more about Maggie.
                  Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Welcome to you and Maggie I look forward to hearing more about your special girl
                    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Nice to see you here!! . I'm sure with 5 years of diabeties under your belt, you've got some great knowledge and stories to tell!!!

Sandy

Comment

Hello to you and Maggie! She looks lovely and well done on 5years!
                        Thats a wonderful achievement and we woud love to know more about your girl when you get the chance.
                        Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                          Hi. I have a 12 yo diabetic JRT and just wanted to say hello. She was diagnosed five years ago so I am not new to diabetes - feel like it has been my whole life for the last five years. I test at home and have been for about three years. Maggie is doing great - no real problems or issues so I won't take up valuable time and space but I did want to say hello in case I wanted to chime in or have a question. Of course, there is always more to learn and you can never have enough knowledge. Forums like this are so valuable so big thanks to the admins and members for sharing their stories to help others.
                          Nice speach and it is a pleasure for Ice & I say hello to you & Maggie

Comment

Thanks for all the welcoming comments! Maggie, like all the fur babies here, has a story and it amazes me she is still with me, considering the many twists and turns her life has taken. She came to me as a throw-away - a breeder had sold her to a family who decided a Jack Russell puppy should stay in a crate all day and then was too "wild" when they let her out. They decided to leave town for a three day weekend locked in her crate. She chewed all the hair off her leg so they took her to the vet the breeder used. He promptly called the breeder and told her she needed to go get her puppy, which she did. She called me knowing I was looking for a playmate for my other JRT and let me have her. She knew I would be good to her.

I think the catalyst for her developing diabetes happened when she was a year and a half old. My husband had let the dogs out after he got home from work and was standing on the deck watching them run around the yard. They both stopped suddenly barking like crazy and both were jumping at something on the ground. He went running and saw a copperhead head snake lunge at Maggie biting her on the side of her face. In true terrier form, this made her mad and she went after the snake and it bit her on the other side of her face. He killed the snake and rushed her to the vet. She got all the standard medicine and her head swelled up like a basketball. She developed severe pancreatitis as a result and almost died from it. To top it off, her vet was going out of town and told me I would have to find someone else to take her to. I found a vet in another town who turned out to be an absolute angel. She was in horrible shape and told me he didn't have lots of hope but he had just lost his JRT. He ended up taking her to his house for the weekend because as he would tell me much later, he just couldn't bear if she had died alone in the clinic during the night. She recovered eventually and became her Jack Russell self again. She did have allergies so she consequently had her share of steroids.

If I had only realized that such a severe case of pancreatitis could have led to diabetes one day, I would have regulated every meal and treat and she never would have had a steroid unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course, she might have developed it anyway. But, diabetes has taught me so much about life and love and persistence. I really doubt that I would be the person I am today without it.
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Oh my goodness Amy! That's quite a history. So glad your Maggie survived. Bless your 1st vet for calling the breeder. And what an amazing angel your 2nd vet was. Warms my heart.

Give your girl a pat from us
                              Patty
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X