Is my dog beginning to fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my dog beginning to fail?

Bailey is 9 years old this month. He was diagnosed 3 years ago. We self test on his ear 3 times a day and inject twice a day about 12 hours apart. He's a mix breed and weighs 24 lbs. (Close to his ideal weight) I've been able to keep his reading fairly consistent for a long time. His monthly average has been 168. Oct 20th he had a growth next to his eye removed, and they went ahead and cleaned his teeth while he was out. All went well and he bounced right back. The problem started 2 weeks later. His readings went to 400 in the evening and sometimes over 300 in the morning. I've been increasing his insulin and usually get the level down but this has been going on for well over a month and it's like riding a roller coaster. My Vet says I'm doing everything I can but this is a gut wrench. My fear it that my dog is beginning to fail. Is there anything else I can do? Do I just ride this out and continue to increase his dosage? In the morning he now gets 7.25 and up to 12.25 in the evening. Last September he was at 6 and 9. I welcome your advice. Thank you.

Re: Is my dog beginning to fail?

Hello, and welcome! I'm sorry to hear that Bailey is having some trouble.

I think I would first rule out an underlying infection. It's possible he has an infection from the growth that was removed, or sometimes bacteria in the dog's mouth can enter their bloodstream and give them an infection. So that would be the first thing I would consider. See if a round of antibiotics takes care of it (and some dogs do experience fluctuating glucose while they're on antibiotics, so ride out the full course before deciding whether or not it worked).
    Last edited by Cara Sandler; 12-04-2014, 12:50 PM.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

hi and welcome

i can understand what you are going through my jesse has a few additional challenges including diabetes

my jesse has always meandered with her numbers. lucky to get a couple months of consistency . we have quite a few things we use in jesses bag of tricks . i call it tricks because they dont last and we continue to rotate around . i am sure its the other challenges affecting her blood sugar . she is happy and doing well on the outside . dont know whats going on with the inside .

for me when jesse goes through periods of needing more insulin i don't like raising her normal insulin which is nph . i would rather use a fast acting to correct the higher sugar to a more respectable level . early in her DX i would give a fast acting every 6 hours . these period end up being temporary . i worried giving her a larger dose because she could change pretty quick back to the lower dose so the fast acting does not stay in her system to long like NPH

infection seems to be a major reason for a change in blood sugar in a higher range for many . UTIs seems to be the major culprit . something to test for if you havent . it seems you saw the change after the procedure . i am sure your pup needed antibiotics maybe a probiotic maybe helful

how are those poohs ? any change in digestion will affect blood sugar . its troubleshooting the problem . there is a reason just have to find it

my jesse is over 10 and was diagnosed at 5 and her fluctuations i guess wernt a sign of her failing but i really didnt think she would last 6 months but she proved me wrong over and over again . we just take it a day at a time no expectations and jesse enjoys her dogs life
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh. I never thought of an infection. Thank you and thank you to Jesse Girl as well. I really have no idea how to reply to posts so please forgive any faux pas. I will get our sweet boy to the vet tomorrow to check this out. God bless you. Really. I am about in tears with relief. yeah well, I am in tears. Thank you. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Jesse Girl, I have never given a fast acting insulin. I wouldn't even know what to ask for at the pharmacy. Can you steer me towards some info on that? Thank you for the info on possible infection. I'm on that first thing in the AM.

Comment

Hi and belated welcome! I agree with the others about the infection- that would be the first step. Let us know how it goes!
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I think a vet visit is wise also to see if something else is going on. Infections, allergies, and inflammation can all raise blood sugar and increase resistance to the effects of the insulin. And there are other conditions, such as Cushing's disease and thyroid disease, that can affect blood sugar levels as well.

When did you last start a new bottle of insulin?

Occasionally you can get one that's been damaged in shipping. So if you haven't tried switching out to a new bottle since this started, that's worth trying as well.

Where are you injecting?

Any sign of scar tissue or thick areas building up where you are injecting?

Natalie

Comment

I just started a new bottle yesterday. The previous one spanned the weeks of good to bad readings. I inject in the scruff but I move it around a lot and watch out for that scar/thickening skin issue. I took his temp a while ago and it was 100.3 but that probably doesn't mean a lot coming from me and my old thermometer. I do want to give a big thanks to the folks on this site and say what a great & patient being this pal of mine is. I'll write when I get more info.

Comment

Thoughts, prayers and healing wishes going out for you and Bailey!
                  Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

I have always heard insulin loses potency after a month to 6 weeks so I toss mine and replace every 30 days.

Also, the scruff can yield uneven absorption so you might try another area like the sides or back(not over the spine).
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Good comments, ... agree ruling out an infection or allergy is a start point.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thank you Chuck's Mom. and to all who posted.

Comment

So here's the story to date: I got Bailey to the Vet this morning and while the vet thinks I could go ahead and put Bailey on antibiotics (and he certainly had plenty of respect for the advice from this website) he thinks it is more likely old insulin. He feels I should start a new vial and toss the old stuff. He said putting Bailey on antibiotics would do no harm but felt we should try the new insulin as well. I decided to start with the new vial first. And here's the info I didn't even know to mention earlier: I always buy a back-up vial, because I'm afraid I'll break one. My Vet asked if I have ever done that, and I said no and he said then don't buy an extra because I'm starting with an old vial each time by having it hanging out in my fridge. I sort of feel like an idiot, but I also feel like I need to write all this down for others to see. I swear I thought I had this figured out. So here we go with a new plan for a few weeks and a big thank you to all of you and a "Smarty Pants Star",(the highest award in my house)to AmyDunn19. Thanks.

Comment

Hope all goes well!

Im new to this as well, bought a backup vial as well. Guess thats a no no.

I guess I shouldve listen to the pharmacist when he said 48 days max and throw it away. Please keep us updated!

Comment

It shouldn't matter as long as its unopened and refridgerated. I checked lot numbers on the latest vial prior to this new one and they are the same! My fridge should be just as good as walmarts
                              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Working...
                              X