Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rusty's Journey

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
    Hello and welcome to you and Rusty! He looks like a very nice boy :-)

Have you thought about learning to do blood tests on Rusty for his glucose? You're going to end up getting a lot more information that way than doing urine tests, regardless of how often you do it.
    I'm not doing blood test as of yet just the urine and to be honest I am not quite sure why the doctor didn't mention it. Think I am going to ask her at the next appointment.
    Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
      Do you check Rusty's blood sugar at home? If not, it would help to ease your mind about making changes and be much safer. You can actually grab a meter - even a human meter - and it will help.
      I am going to ask doc at the next appointment about me getting a meter.
      I am always concerned about his blood sugar and I really need to ease my mind.
      Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Rusty is having a great day today which means so am I. Had to share with everyone.

Comment

Yay, Rusty!

Many vets don't support home testing for a number of reasons. Some don't want you adjusting insulin until you better understand the food/insulin relationship, some think it will be an extra burden to someone who is already overwhelmed, some feel it is unreliable(not true) and I am sure there are some who know it will reduce those vet bills. So, just to prepare you for a pretty common attitude - many vets that stay educated think it is great.

I think most people here would say it is the one thing that has saved their dog and prolonged their life span and of course, their own sanity.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

it doesnt take much for anyone of us to appreciate when things are good
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It's awesome to hear when things are going well!!!!!!!
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty (Bobba) mom View Post
                Rusty is having a great day today which means so am I. Had to share with everyone.
                yay! great news
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

So glad that Rusty had a great day. I hope today is a great one as well! I know what you mean about your day being good as well: Maddie having a good day=me having a good day!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful words about Rusty doing well.
                    Today seems to be a good day also. I am really happy today also.
                    You guys are the best!! I mean that with all my heart.😀😀

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                      Yay, Rusty!

Many vets don't support home testing for a number of reasons. Some don't want you adjusting insulin until you better understand the food/insulin relationship, some think it will be an extra burden to someone who is already overwhelmed, some feel it is unreliable(not true) and I am sure there are some who know it will reduce those vet bills. So, just to prepare you for a pretty common attitude - many vets that stay educated think it is great.

I think most people here would say it is the one thing that has saved their dog and prolonged their life span and of course, their own sanity.
                      I think maybe you're right I really need to understand more about it since I have only been doing it for 3 weeks,however if I am going to help my Rusty I need to know how to do everything including checking his blood.

Comment

Originally posted by maddiesmom View Post
                        So glad that Rusty had a great day. I hope today is a great one as well! I know what you mean about your day being good as well: Maddie having a good day=me having a good day!
                        Couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                          it doesnt take much for anyone of us to appreciate when things are good
                          you said it!

Comment

Rejoicing in Rusty's good days. I hope you're sleeping better.
                            Clyde: born 21 Feb 2001, dx Dec 2013. Caninsulin 2 x 5u, Prednidale, Pred Forte eye drops. Weight 4.75kg

Comment

Originally posted by clydesmum View Post
                              Rejoicing in Rusty's good days. I hope you're sleeping better.
                              You and me are both rejoicing along with the rest of my family.
                              I still wake up thru the night to check on him,but it's getting a little better.

Comment

Rusty looks like a big enough boy to likely have calluses on his 'elbows'...if so, it's a great place to test. There is no need to trim hair, etc. and the further away from the face, the more compliant many will be. Grayson hates when the vet is poking his lip for a test, but for me, he will lay down and give me his leg to poke the elbow callus whenever he sees me coming with his tester! I rarely have any trouble getting a blood drop there, and I don't think he really feels it. We use a 26 gauge lancet and device (both are the cheap Relion brand from Walmart). If you don't want to spring for the expense of an Alphatrak meter, the One Touch is a great option as far as being fairly accurate in comparison.
                                Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

Working...
                                X