Thread: Mimi
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Mimi

I think they do say a dog is resistant if they are using at least their body weight which is where you are. But cushings and dog breed add to the problem.

I thought I read that you are going to have her cortisol levels checked? I'd do that first.

Also, you can give more insulin but I would definitely discuss possibly changing types of insulin with your vet. It's hard because changing too many things at once can cause problems.

What about infections, could she have an ear or tooth infection? that raises blood sugar too.

We battled cushings and diabetes together also so I understand where you are at. If Jenny's cortisol was up her insulin needs were up. We used novolin and when she was first diagnosed she weighed 8 pounds and it took 7 units twice a day to even make a dent in her blood sugar. I think we went for 6 or 7 weeks, doing a curve every week with her in the 400 - 600 range of blood sugar. After the cushings meds started to work her insulin needs dropped from 7 to 3 1/2

So, definitely talk to your vet. If Mimi needs more insulin, she needs more insulin. But I'd discuss the option of trying another type.

Let us know how it goes. Judi