It's been a while- getting insulin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while- getting insulin

Hi, on March 23 my dog was diagnosed with diabetes. I give her 6 units of vetsulin 2 times a day and she seems to have responded very well. My vet wants to do the blood curve now and I asked if I could do it at home instead as my dog is very very nervous at the vet (plus I could do 12 hours plus if needed and the vet can only do about 8 hours).

I have a monitor (human monitor) so i'm not sure how the numbers will compare but when I took her to the vet this last time it showed 218 aprox. 1.5hrs before her next shot (she was above 500 when I took her in and she was diagnosed). My biggest worry now is her eyes as I know I can do the best I can with treating her and since she was diagnosed she has not been left alone- this will probably change at some point because of work but for now it hasn't and hopefully won't for awhile (I want to try to make sure she is regulated the best I can).

I will have many questions and have been reading alot on here (and elsewhere) and I know a few people that have/had dogs with diabetes. My question right now is this, (my dog by the way is a 22lb Cairen Terror/Cocer Spaniel mix) how is the easiest/best way to do the blood testing at home? Is it the ear? Somewhere on the tail? Lip? I seem to think the ear or tail would be best but I believe this will be one of the hardest things I'll have to do and would like input from others. (I have done reading but... ) Thank you so much and I will try to get the exact model and type of monitor I have as well if that might help at all. Thanks again.
Working...
X