Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUN/Creatinine

Yukon just had his 6 month blood work done and the vet said red and white blood cells are fine, but BUN and creatinine are elevated. She said she thinks it's a GI Bleed and for me to give him omeprazole 10mg 2x a day.

I also noticed that lately when I start a new bottle of Vetsulin his BG goes up in the 500's for a couple days.

I am concerned something is going on.
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

• Re: BUN/Creatinine

Jesses numbers with a new vial usually is not as good at the beginning but settles down over time

Yes sometimes higher numbers can point to something going out of whack . Maybe give it a week and see if things settle down
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Any abnormal peeing behaviours?
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I noticed the last couple days he has been peeing more than usual when we go on our walks.

I just brought his morning urine in to have it tested.
          15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

• Re: Questions about Yuki

Yukon's urine came back and everything looked good. Vet wrote back no infection urine had a little glucose (expected) but no ketones, white blood cells or bacteria.

I wonder if his dirty teeth are causing these high blood numbers?

Comment

Did the vet do any other kidney tests or exams?
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

So the blood came back and his BUN was high but creatinine was normal. The vet thought he had a G.I. bleed so she put him on omeprazole twice a day for two weeks and I had blood pulled again yesterday. It came back within range.

The problem I'm having now is that his back legs are getting really weak he's having a hard time standing and getting up. I was giving him Cosequin DS before he got the diabetes but once he was diagnosed I had to take it away because it seemed like his blood sugar wasn't going down.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a supplement or natural remedy to strengthen his hind legs? I take him for walks twice a day and he goes up a lot of stairs. Today was kind of a scare because he almost fell down the stairs going up them

Thanks.

Comment

My jesse has lost some strength in her hind area as she gets older and now 15

I see yuki is 14 and you may expect some loss of strength at this age

I have not done anything with jesse except give her some help when she needs it maybe getting up on an elevated position

She walks ok and gets around on her walks

Some have use vitamin b-12 for leg weakness and some said it helped but its hard to know for sure
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I've heard good things about methyl B12 and diabetic neuropathy. It's really helped a lot of dogs.
                    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone I truly appreciate it. I'm kind of in a rut right now because all of a sudden in the last few days Yukon's BG has been over 600 by 4 p.m. Nothing has changed I took his blood this morning at 9:45 and it was 222 and took it at 4:30 and it was 645.

I am really considering changing insulin I just don't know how complex it is. What are your suggestions? I know he has Cushing's and other things complicating matters but I just can't seem to get him regulated on the Vetsulin.
                      Last edited by YukiesMom; 11-09-2019, 03:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Yes a change with insulin may give you 2 a reset . The transition to NPH ( which is the next logical choice ) usually ends up the same amount of units as vetsulin but use a different type of syringe

Most would start at a lower dose just to be on the safe side . Not sure if you would like to do a complete do over and start at the normal starting dose which would be .2 x your dogs body weight

I probably would not go higher than 10 units to start as I see Yuki is on 13 units

Now you do want to follow the normal regulation process doing full curves and adjusting the dose according to the lowest number in each curve

I am sure the cushings is having an affect. Not sure how yuki takes the medication for that but if cortisol levels fluctuate so will blood sugar

Comment

Thanks foe the info. I am just so worried about the larger syringes. He already doesn't like the U40 syringes.

Comment

You can get 31 or 30 gauge needles which is pretty thin

Get the 30 unit with half unit markings . I dont think there will be any additional discomfort .

I think the actual amount of insulin is less by volume over vetsulin so you would think less would feel better .

Comment

Yes, it's only the syringe part that's different, the needle is still 30 or 31 gauge.

Comment

my dog had Cushings and we were able to regulate her diabetes with Novolin so I think it is worth a shot
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X