X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Related Recalls and Warnings

Hope this is where I put this post!!
    Have just been reading about the NutroMax food warning on the other diabetes site.
    Lady has had some Nutro senior food, dry and canned, mixed in with her RC food since January. It's easy for me to get, whether I'm in Ontario or on the road, and she likes it Now I read the stories of people who have lost their pets due to NutroMax foods! She hasn't had any problems but it doesn't make me feel very comfortable feeding her this product.
    Will have to check the Nutro company's site and keep reading...there has to be a product out there that is good quality and easy for me to get!!
    Jo-Ann & Lady

PS--If the food and drug people on this continent would spend more time checking out the pet food manufacturers than whether they can find something out about trilostane that the UK people haven't already discovered our pets would be better off!!

Re: NutroMax food warning

The warnings about Nutro Max are coming from here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com:80/pets/nutro.html

These are self-reports to the consumeraffairs.com website rather than a formal recall or notice from the manufacturer at this point.

Another good site for recall information is www.itchmo.com.

Comment

I have been feeding Niki some of the Nutro Senior and also my other dog, I have had no problems, i did write to Nutro and told them to be the first pet food co. to list their labels like human foods, i said "wouldn't that be nice to be the first dog food co. to do that" I'm sure it would increase your sales
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi again,
        I've been doing some sanding and priming of walls and that has my carpel tunnel acting up so typing can be a chore.
        Thanks for the site, Natalie. That was the one that got me re-thinking using Nutro Natural Choice as part of Lady's diet. I've decided to cut the amount in half that goes into her food. I was just using it as a treat so will cut it with Science Diet Senior dry and moistened dry. We'll be at a store in 2-3 weeks where I can get Solid Gold food and can use it for a treat. I'm pretty sure our humane society shelter will use what I have left as it will just be mixed in with the other food they use.
        Hi Niki's mom, all of the dog food that I use for Lady has the ingredients on the label...doesn't matter where I bought the food, US or Canada. What am I missing in your post? Or am I just having another senior moment? :
        Take care,
        Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

I guess what I mean is some distributors don't rotate their dogfood or sell dogfood that has expired or thats at the bottom of the pile, or in a too hot of an area, or maybe too cold, I read this somewhere during the past recall when it came out about the wheat from China, when I was assured from my feed store lady mine was not on the recall list i was happy
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

The Itchmo Forums are another place to do some reading about pet foods.

http://www.itchmoforums.com/

Comment

what I feed is the Nutro Senior or Nutro Light dry.

Comment

FYI--there are still more bad reports coming from people who were feeding Nutro:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...recalls93.html

ConsumerAffairs.com April 18, 2008

String of Illnesses Afflicts NUTRO-Fed Pets
                Company insists its food is '100% safe'

"ConsumerAffairs.com also heard from a South Carolina pet owner, who discovered what she calls "foreign" objects in her recent bags of NUTRO food.

""In two of the last five bags I've fed my dogs, I've found pieces of something that look like nylon," said Lori W. "I found one piece stuck out from one end and hooked through a piece of kibble. It was maybe one-half inch long. Most are a lot thinner."

"After making these discoveries, Lori switched her six dogs to another brand of food."

Unidentified object found in Lori W.'s NUTRO pet food

Comment

FYI--FDA Finds Problems at Evanger's

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01825.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                  April 24, 2008
                  Media Inquiries:
                  Kimberly Rawlings, 301-827-6242
                  Consumer Inquiries:
                  888-INFO-FDA

FDA Orders Pet Food Maker to Obtain Emergency Operating Permit

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an order requiring that Evanger's Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc., in Wheeling, Ill., obtain an emergency permit from the FDA before its canned pet food products enter interstate commerce.

A recent inspection revealed significant deviations from prescribed documentation of processes, equipment, and recordkeeping in the production of the company's thermally processed low acid canned food (LACF) products. These problems could result in under-processed pet foods, which can allow the survival and growth of Clostridium botulinum (C. botulinum), a bacterium that causes botulism in some animals as well as in humans.

"As outlined in the Food Protection Plan, the FDA uses a risk-based approach to locate the areas of greatest risk for foods, and targets preventive controls and inspections to those areas, " said Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. "The FDA's authority to issue an order requiring an emergency permit is an enforcement tool designed to prevent unsafe foods from reaching consumers.”

The FDA issues an "Order of Need for Emergency Permit” if the agency determines that a company fails to meet the regulatory requirements to process a product that does not present a health risk. For Evanger's to resume business, the company must document that corrective actions and processing procedures have been implemented to ensure that the finished product will not present a health hazard.

Botulism is a powerful toxin that affects the nervous system and can be fatal. The disease has been documented in dogs and cats. Signs of botulism in animals are progressive muscle paralysis, disturbed vision, difficulty in chewing and swallowing, and progressive weakness to the body. Death is usually due to paralysis of the heart or the muscles used in breathing.

In light of human botulism illnesses and recalls that occurred due to under-processed hot dog chili sauce, and potentially under-processed canned green beans, FDA has urged all LACF processors to review their operations and the apply scientific principals and regulations that have been established to provide a safe product.

While FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine has authority over animal feed and foods, CFSAN is responsible for regulating all human and animal LACF processing. The two centers are collaborating on this enforcement action.

Comment

Re: FYI--FDA Finds Problems at Evanger's

Wasn't Evanger's processing for another pet food company back during the recall... I can't.... "recall" (heh heh) but it seems like they did.

Comment

Evanger's wasn't involved in the recall with its products or any of those it produced for others. But the set up is a lot like the Castleberry's botulism aftermath--Castleberry's produces Natural Balance Eatables.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...s_190511.shtml

Augusta Chronicle March 11, 2008

"Federal concerns about the operation of food processing equipment inside Castleberry's Food Co. prompted this week's shutdown of the Augusta chili maker.

"Most of the plant's 330 employees did not report to work Monday because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration revoked the company's temporary operating permit.

"That permit was issued in September in the aftermath of a last summer's $35 million botulism recall.

"An FDA spokeswoman said the permit was revoked because inspectors found "deviations" in how some of the processing equipment was being operated.

""The deviations could have caused the food processed to be unsafe. Because under-processing by Castleberry in the past resulted in a botulism outbreak and because Castleberry was operating under an emergency permit, FDA revoked the emergency permit," said agency spokeswoman Stephanie Kwisnek.

"Castleberry's officials emphasized Monday that the current shutdown does not involve a new recall.

""We expect to have a quick resolution," said Dave Melbourne, Castleberry's senior vice president.

""We are working quickly and closely with the FDA to answer its questions and hope to resume production as soon as we've addressed them.""

http://www.itchmo.com/fda-orders-shu...ood-plant-4880

FDA Orders Shutdown of Castleberry Food Plant

Itchmo.com March 12, 2008

"The suspension of its operating permit and shutdown was ordered on Friday, and a FDA spokesperson said that part of the processing lines used to make food were not being operated properly and this could result in underprocessed cans of food.

"Here is the FDA press release:

"In July 2007, over 80 types of canned food products and 4 types of dog food produced by Castleberry Foods were recalled due to possible contamination with Clostridium botulinum.

"FDA issued an ‘Order of Need for Emergency Permit’ to the firm at that time. This means that the firm was not able to ship its products in interstate commerce until it received a permit from FDA. The agency issues an ‘Order of Need for Emergency Permit’ if it determines that a firm does not meet requirements of the regulations pertaining to the manufacture of thermally processed low-acid foods or acidified foods, such that the safety of the food is in question.

"FDA believes the company remedied the previously existing food safety problems and the processing procedures will result in a finished product that does not present a health hazard.

"The firm requested an emergency permit and FDA issued an emergency permit after a review of a firm’s documented corrective actions and processing procedures. In September 2007, FDA issued a permit that allowed the firm to ship products that were processed using the firm’s machinery (the vertical still retorts) not associated with the recalled product. None of these retorts was believed to be linked to the previous C. botulinum contamination.

"During a recent inspection of these processing lines FDA found that the vertical still retorts were not being operated in a manner as required, raising the possibility that some cans processed in these retorts could be under-processed. On March 7, 2008 FDA sent a letter to the company suspending the temporary emergency permit.

"No products have been identified as contaminated. FDA has asked the firm to verify the safety of all products produced since the emergency permit was issued."

In the Castleberry case, they received the Emergency Operating Permit to start their plant up again after the clean up from the botulism contaminated foods. When FDA inspected the plant they found that the conditions which could once again lead to them producing botulism contaminated foods had not been corrected. FDA then revoked their Emergency Operating Permit and this is why the plant had to shut down last month.

If Evanger's doesn't correct the problems with their plant within an FDA-given period of time, they also could lose their Emergnecy Operating Permit and would need to close their plant, just as Castleberry's did.

Here's the most current list of the other brands who have Evanger's make their canned food for them-

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/manufacturers.htm

Manufactures canned foods

Evangers Dog and Cat Food Company, Inc.
                      221 Wheeling Road
                      Wheeling, IL
                      847-537-0102

Foods manufactured:
                      Artemis - Holistic Pet Food
                      Blackwood Pet Food
                      Life4K9

Comment

My recollection was that it was a good thing at the time... it might have been Canidae actually since I was very interested in who was processing Canidae.

I didn't see Canidae/Felidae on the list in a quick scan... will go look at it in more detail.

Comment

Well I'm not feeding the Nutro max, 1/3 c of Nutro lite, but now I will examine my food, I have not noticed anything.
                          other dog eats the canidae with some nutro lite in it.

Comment

Problems With Some Timberwolf Organics

http://timberwolforganics.com/News-a...4Pa38Ta3aKc3r0

Dakota Bison/Ocean Blue Reported Issues

Timberwolf Organics Customer,

"Due to recent reports from some customers, we have ordered that two formulas from three specific dates be pulled from the shelves. These are:

Dakota Bison with 'best by date' of 12 Feb 2009
                            Ocean Blue with 'best by date' of 20 Feb 2009
                            Ocean Blue with best by date' of 8 March 2009

"The reported symptoms include dogs refusing to eat, diarrhea or vomiting. While the problem is inconsistent (not every dog eating food from those dates/bag show the symptoms and not every bag), to err on the side of caution have decided to pull the formulas produced with the above dates. Initial testing has come back negative for problems and further testing is pending results.

"As soon as the cause of this reported problem is determined procedures will be put into place to ensure that an event like this cannot happen again. Please be assured that no other formulas and Ocean Blue and Dakota Bison with dates other than ones listed above are not affected.

"We apologize for any inconvenience or problems that this may have resulted in. If you do have a bag with those dates please contact the retailer you purchased it from for an exchange or credit. If you purchased it directly from us please give us a call or email us at customer.support@timberwolforganics.com.

Thank you for choosing Timberwolf Organics.

Sincerely,

Timberwolf Organics Team"

Google's cache of the Timberwolf home page scanned 5/31/2008 shows no mention of this or any link to it, as there is now. This was added between 5/31/08-6/4/08 when it was discovered and posted to pet food message boards, blogs and websites.

Comment

FDA Seizes Animal Food Products at PETCO Distribution Center

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                              June 19, 2008

Today, at the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Marshals seized various animal food products stored under unsanitary conditions at the PETCO Animal Supplies Distribution Center located in Joliet, Ill., pursuant to a warrant issued by the United States District Court in Chicago.

U.S. Marshals seized all FDA-regulated animal food susceptible to rodent and pest contamination. The seized products violate the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act because it was alleged in a case filed by the United States Attorney that they were being held under unsanitary conditions. (The Act uses the term "insanitary" to describe such conditions).

During an FDA inspection of a PETCO distribution center in April, widespread and active rodent and bird infestation was found. The FDA inspected the facility again in May and found continuing and widespread infestation.

"We simply will not allow a company to store foods under filthy and unsanitary conditions that occur as a direct result of the company's failure to adequately control and prevent pests in its facility," said Margaret O'K. Glavin, associate commissioner for regulatory affairs. "Consumers expect that such safeguards will be in place not only for human food, but for pet food as well."

The distribution center in Joliet, Ill., provides pet food products and supplies to PETCO retail stores in 16 states including Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.

FDA has no reports of pet illness or death associated with consumption of animal food distributed by PETCO, and does not have evidence that the food is unsafe for animals. However, the seized products were in permeable packages and held under conditions that could affect the food's integrity and quality.

As a precaution, consumers who have handled products originating from the PETCO distribution center should thoroughly wash their hands with hot water and soap. Any surfaces that came in contact with the packages should be washed as well. Consumers are further advised as a precaution to thoroughly wash products sold in cans and glass containers from PETCO in the 16 affected states.

If a pet has become ill after eating these food products, pet owners should contact their veterinarian and report illnesses to FDA state consumer complaint coordinators.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/petco.w....2.752585.html

CBS2, Chicago July 19, 2008

"Federal authorities said the warehouse on Rock Creek Boulevard in Joliet was overrun with birds and rodents, some of which had been gnawing at bags of pet food. During two inspections in April and May, investigators said they found animals and excrement inside, including 26 live rodents, 7 dead rodents, 30 birds, 1,300 rodent droppings and what appeared to be urine stains in and around stored containers of pet food.

"The FDA allows for the seizure of food, even pet food, in cases such as this where it may have been contaminated with filth. It's important to note, at this time, there have been no cases of animal illness traced to products at the PETCO warehouse in Joliet."

Comment

Working...
                              X