Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: possibly diabetic maltese!?

They usually send it out to a lab and it is back in 24 hours, sometimes less.

Comment

We get our fructosamine back in 1 day in WI and same day in FL (he has so many diabetic dogs he bought the equipment!)

Paws crossed its 'just' the severe UTI and you just made a bunch of new friends here
      Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Well the results are in. Ace is diabetic.

Had a nice chat with the vet, who is new there and replacing our usual vet. Young lady, my age actually. Anyways, I explained the financial situation, and she said to def give the kind you can get at walmart a shot. Even if he doesnt react to it well, the prescription she gave is $65 for a 3 month supply. Im assuming the walmart bought vial will last me 3 months too? I am to give Ace 2 units twice a day. Even then she said we may lower it to 1 unit a day pending his curve.

Now, I was overwhelmed by this next portion, and it immediately made me think of how kind all of you are in helping me out so far (which I greatly appreciate.) She gave me an alphatrek (the original) blood glucose monitor and 20 strips. I couldnt believe it. She also said the alphatrek 2 strips work on it as well. Im not going to lie, I feel kind of ashamed for the reasons of getting it free, but it was a very nice gesture. My neurologists currently think im in early stage parkisons disease. One of the classic clinical signs is a "pill rolling" with your thumb and index finger accompanied by tremors. She saw me doing this, and asked a few inadvert questions, which she responded with her grandfather has it, and understands how taxing it can be. Either way, it was an unbelievably nice gesture on her part, and something I will never ever forget.

Its amazing to know people like her, and people like all of you still do exist in this world. Sorry if this is a rant, or out there, but its been an overwhelming day. Anyways, I need to get to bed, I have therapy in the morning. If its ok, I would like to ask some questions about diets tomorrow. Not sure if at this point I should continue to post in this topic, or make a new one, since the "possibly" part is now "confirmed". Just let me know.

Once again, thank you all.

Comment

It does sound like an overwhelming day! I'm sorry to hear that Ace is definitely diabetic, but we'll all be happy to help you figure out diet for him.

I would keep posting on this thread. One of the moderators can change the title for you.
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Please keep posting in this thread, we're here for you for any and all questions food and anything else. It sounds like you've been lucky to find a great vet who's also very compassionate.

Laura
            Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Sorry that Ace is diabetic. But we are all here to help you.

With proper regulation he can live a happy long life.

Mary
              JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

Re: Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

I changed the name - if there is something else you prefer - let me know and I will change it.

Everything will be fine - we are all here for you!
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Good news you have the alphtrack 2. Most of use the Freestyle Lite strips with it. There cheaper than the actual alphatrack ones , made by the same company

seems you got a good grasp on his diabetes. Test at fasting before he eats. Inject after eating. Test again 2 hours after food and insulin, again test at the 6 hour mark. Thats what i did.

how much does he weight?

your doing great

mo
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thank you for changing the topic name, its appreciated!

Ace is 16lbs. Now, before you all think omg, this guy was born twice the size of his other two brothers. Hes been huge since a puppy, and the vets have always been amazed. For a maltese, hes very muscular too. Makes me think hes not just a maltese, but something else as well.

I noticed you said you can use the freestyle lite strips, would that work in the original alphatrek? I have the original alphatrek, but from what I understand is the alphatrek 2 strips work in it.

Now the big question is, what kind of food should he eat? Past few years hes been on beneful healthy weight. The vet wanted us on a prescription food thats insanely pricey, but was figured id ask here. He usually prefers dry food, but will eat wet food as well. So suggestions for both are welcome.

My one big problem is he rarely eats in the morning. He usually just picks at it, so that could be an issue.

I also threw out all the dog treats. The vet said he can never have another treat again. Ok, I agree. I baked some chicken tenders and some stew beef and cut them up into small pieces. Are those acceptable to give him as a "treat" when hes been a good boy, like going potty?

Once again, thank you all!

Comment

FreeStyle Lite test strips should still work (turn on) the older grey colored Alphatrak meter. I know they worked years ago, but the FreeStyle strips have been "updated" a couple of years ago so I don't have any data to what code would be set for the FreeStyle strips.

I'm not home at the moment, but if the battery is still good in my old grey Alphatrak meter I'll run some tests using new Alphatrak strips and new Freestyle strips in the grey meter this evening.

Did the vet tell you to code the grey Alphatrak to "7", and to ignore the code on the strip container? I think that is what Abbott recommends when using Alphatrak-2 (new) strips in the old grey meter. I know the data sheet that comes packed with the new Alphatrak-2 strips mentions how to code the old meter.

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        FreeStyle Lite test strips should still work (turn on) the older grey colored Alphatrak meter. I know they worked years ago, but the FreeStyle strips have been "updated" a couple of years ago so I don't have any data to what code would be set for the FreeStyle strips.

I'm not home at the moment, but if the battery is still good in my old grey Alphatrak meter I'll run some tests using new Alphatrak strips and new Freestyle strips in the grey meter this evening.

Did the vet tell you to code the grey Alphatrak to "7", and to ignore the code on the strip container? I think that is what Abbott recommends when using Alphatrak-2 (new) strips in the old grey meter. I know the data sheet that comes packed with the new Alphatrak-2 strips mentions how to code the old meter.

Craig
                        Thank you I appreciate it. No she did not tell me about he code 7, thanks for the heads up!

Im going to have to google a user manuals for this just to have it on hand in case the need ever arises.

Comment

Found this from several years ago (hope it works):

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-3547.html
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi the free style lite strips do work with the grey alphatrak. I have a users guide and would be happy to mail it to you. Just need your name and address. Will put it in the mail tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootersmom View Post
                              Hi the free style lite strips do work with the grey alphatrak. I have a users guide and would be happy to mail it to you. Just need your name and address. Will put it in the mail tomorrow.
                              Cool thanks for the info. I actually found a .pdf online and printed it out. Thank you though!

Comment

Originally posted by kevbo887 View Post

My one big problem is he rarely eats in the morning. He usually just picks at it, so that could be an issue.

I also threw out all the dog treats. The vet said he can never have another treat again. Ok, I agree. I baked some chicken tenders and some stew beef and cut them up into small pieces. Are those acceptable to give him as a "treat" when hes been a good boy, like going potty?

Once again, thank you all!
                                It's pretty common that diabetic dogs don't want to eat breakfast. I wound up jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to get Sparky to eat breakfast, but he never really enjoyed it. Also, I don't agree that Ace should never ever get another treat. I think he needs to get treats in moderation, and certainly the calories need to be factored into his diet. I think most of our diabetic dogs get some treats every now and then. And using the chicken tenders and stew beef is also perfectly fine for Ace. As time goes on, you'll learn what kind of things affect his blood sugar. I used to give Sparky green beans as treats, and he loved them. He also enjoyed asparagus (I know, strange dog!!!). Ultimately, as someone on the forum told me, we have to allow them to be dogs, too. There's a line to walk between doing everything perfectly and being realistic about what you and your dog can live with.
                                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X