Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Tested at +2 hours = 173.

So the insulin is working, guess it is possible I had a "fur shot" this morning. I have to be up at 3:30AM, so I'll test then.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

It's hard this time of year... there's so much that can happen to a load of insulin between manufacturer and your purchasing it over the counter.

I made the mistake of ordering insulin by mail once - only time I ever did and it was right in the middle of a huge heat wave across the country. By the time the insulin arrived here, the box was hot and so were the bottles and the "ice" packs.

Hope this was just a blip for you and Annie and things get back to normal.

Natalie

Comment

MORE STRIP TESTS!

OK, I was bored and decided to run some tests. I used my AlphaTrak meter, set to "7" as per the AlphaTrak strip vial. I tested on a single drop of blood with three different test strips; AlphaTrak, old style FreeStyle Lite, new style FreeStyle lite:

AlphaTrak = 85
        Old FreeStyle Lite = 92
        New FreeStyle Lite = 84

Looks like keeping the AlphaTrak meter set to "7", while using either the new, or old, FreeStyle Lite strips gives good results.

We had a production line going! My wife was switching strips in the meter, I was getting the sample on the strip and Annie was wondering what was going on with all the testing!
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Do I detect a little cabin fever?!?!?!

Natalie

Comment

Well, Annie and I re-learned something for about the fifth time. We are slow learners!

Seems just about every time Annie has a bath, she develops ear problems. The ear problems; redness, head shaking, ear scratching seems to throw her BG out of whack. I understand dogs with floppy ears are more prone to problems. My wife, Linda, tries to keep the bath water out of Annie's ears and eyes, but that is pretty hard to do.

I treated Annie with a "cucumber melon cleansing and drying solution" for two days and the head shaking / ear scratching was reduced, but the BGs were still hitting highs (300 - 400s). Since it was time for her Bordetella vaccination, we took her to the vet and had her ear hair trimmed, and was given (sold) Zymox Enzymatic Solution. My limited internet search of Zymox sounds like it is a good drop for ear problems. Any comments?

EDITED: Just noticed this contains Hydrocortisone, so I'm guessing it might affect the BG. Also have seen online where it is sold Hydrocortisone-free.
            Last edited by CraigM; 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Oh poor Annie, no fun.

I didn't have much success with Zymox ear solution but I know others that have. I'm still using my homemade solution that seems to work well for her.

Maybe you've already tried this, but I put a cotton ball in Ali's ears when I give her a bath to keep the water out.

Hope she feels better soon!
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Patty. Will try the cotton balls next time.

Comment

Annie is still having some higher than normal numbers, into the high 300s - low 400s at fasting. Still using the ear drops I mentioned on 2-23 for another two days, and that might be the cause. She also saw her eye vet last Thursday and had acetazolamide tablets added to lower eye pressure. The eye vet said it wouldn't affect her BG, but I'm not so sure. I've looked acetazolamide up on the internet and read that it could affect BG. She is to have her eye pressure re-checked in two weeks. I've been slow to increase her insulin, but did increase her from 9¾ to 10 units this morning. Will test several times per day to see how the 10 units go.

I mention this to demonstrate the importance of home testing. Without home testing we wouldn't know there was a "problem".

Comment

How are her ears looking now, Craig?

I gave Ali a bath today and was thinking of you when I put her cotton balls in.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Think her ears are fine now. Now the probable problem is the eye meds! She was over 400 this morning instead of her normal high 100 - low 200s. Increased another 1/4 unit and will test throughout the day. Don't think it's rebound because all her tests yesterday were higher that normal.

Comment

Anyone have experience / comments about Travatan eye drops? Annie was put on Travatan drops a little over a week ago and they didn't appear to affect her BG. It was a "used" vial of Travatan, containing about 20 drops, that her eye vet gave us. We bought a new vial ($98.00!) on Friday and her numbers have gone way high, into the 400s. The only change has been the drops, but my search on the internet didn't come up with anything suggesting a side affect for diabetics. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to run a proper curve today. Here's what I was able to see today:

7AM test, feed, inject, eye drop 319BG
                        10AM 134BG
                        3PM 298BG

I increased her insulin by ¼unit this morning and guess she could have experienced rebound around noon? Or the insulin just wore off by 3PM?

As luck would have it, we are going on vacation starting in the morning. Annie will be staying with my son. We wished Annie would have been on "cruise control", but she has other plans!
                        Last edited by CraigM; 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I found a question and answer site and a few reviews. They seem to contradict each other...

http://www.ahaf.org/questions-answer...eye-drops.html

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/rx...d=fdb20653_pem

http://www.druglib.com/adverse-react...sness_serious/

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drugrevie...ionFilter=-500

Enjoy your vacation! I'm sorry Annie's throwing you for a loop before you leave.

Patty

Comment

Thanks Patty. Looks like Annie just plain has trouble with meds for her eye pressure. She had been on Acetazolamide, but that raised her BGs, now the Travatan

Looks like my son and daughter-in-law, both vet techs, will have home work.

Comment

Back from vacation (Orlando-Miami-Bahamas-Key West) earlier this week. Nice to get out of the Pacific Northwest rain, but the temperatures were way too hot for us! Annie stayed home with our son and did OK during our absence.

My earlier post asked about Travatan eye drops. They seemed to work great to reduce the inner eye pressure, reduced the pressure from 30 to 5. The eye vet is happy. The drops didn't really affect the BG.

The next bit of fun is that she is scheduled for teeth cleaning next Tuesday. Anything I should know? The vet says no food after dinner the night before, and at first said no insulin the morning of the cleaning. I asked about giving ¼ dose, and he said OK, if I wanted to. What do you all think? ¼ of the normal dosage?

Comment

I'd always opt to err on the side of caution when a dog is going to the vet just because the stress and unusual activity of the vet visit can drop the blood sugar. Chris had a tendency to go low at vet visits.

I'd say no more than 20-25% of the usual dose if it's the first time you have given insulin without food.

A lot of dogs can handle more than that - I could give Chris half of his usual dose - but you would need to start at the low end of 20-25% and experiment to see how much they can handle before giving that much.

It also depends a bit on how well regulated they are. The tighter their blood sugar control, the less wiggle room you have. So if her blood sugar is in the low 100s, I'd be even more cautious with the dose given without food.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X