Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long has your dog had diabetes so far?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long has your dog had diabetes so far?

We are approaching the year's midpoint, so it seems like a good time to update our poll on how long our dogs have lived with diabetes so far.

If your dog has passed on, please respond to the poll with how many years your dog lived with diabetes. It's really important for new members to see what's possible!

And for those of you with more than one diabetic, now or earlier, you can post to multiple categories.

For new members, as you view the results (click on one of the numbers to see which dogs are in each category), keep in mind that activity at the forum is always greatest by people whose dogs have been diagnosed recently. So it may take a while for some senior members and for members who dogs have since passed away, to come by the forum and respond. I may bring up an older poll so you can see some prior results.

Natalie
    Six months or less
    0%
    Six to Twelve months
    0%
    More than 1 year, less than 2 years
    0%
    More than 2 years, less than 3 years
    0%
    More than 3 years, less than 4 years
    0%
    More than 4 years, less than 5 years
    0%
    More than 5 years, less than 6 years
    0%
    More than 6 years, less than 7 years
    0%
    More than 7 years
    0%

Re: How long has your dog had diabetes?

Grayson was just two months yesterday...and seems to be doing pretty well on getting down from BGs high in the 400's, to ranging from 100's to the high 200's when I poke at him. Poor boy, always has momma poking him...
    Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

Chris missed five years by only 35 days.

Comment

7 months for Charlie, who turns 13 tomorrow
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

6 years for the wee dude Alfie next week.
          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

1 month! seeing the polls with 6 years+ gives me so much hope

Comment

6 years for Soaphie end of July....3.5 years for Sydsta
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Wow! Love to see all the 6+ year votes! gives me hope too.
                Gizmo 10 year old pug. diagnosed April 2014. 7 units Humulin N in the morning, 6 units in the evening. 1&1/2 cups Hill's w/d twice a day. My little buddy

Comment

You know I wonder how misleading this poll is terms of age at diagnosis. For instance Keeda is ~14, she will most likely live another few years at most and I believe most dogs that are newly diagnosised are "older." So let's say Keeda develops cancer next year and dies from that... Then she will only ever make 1-2 years even though it wasn't the diabetes that she died from. If a young dog is diagnosed I believe they usually still live the full life expectancy.

Comment

That is a factor to consider. I think Natalie posts it for the purpose of those newly diagnosed dog parents to see that it is probable their dog can live for a good length of time, very close to their normal life expectancy. Considering some people actually think they need to put their dog down when they are diagnosed or their friends and family who tell them that.

Maggie was 7 at diagnosis, still relatively young, and she has done really great for over six years, considering how challenging she has been. I am personally hoping that she will make it through the summer. I say that every year, though.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by xpaeanx View Post
                      You know I wonder how misleading this poll is terms of age at diagnosis. For instance Keeda is ~14, she will most likely live another few years at most and I believe most dogs that are newly diagnosised are "older." So let's say Keeda develops cancer next year and dies from that... Then she will only ever make 1-2 years even though it wasn't the diabetes that she died from. If a young dog is diagnosed I believe they usually still live the full life expectancy.
                      Dogs almost never die of diabetes. I can count the number of dogs in 10 years who have died from ketoacidosis or an insulin overdose on two hands.

Really the only points of this poll are to:

- squash the statement that tends to go around that diabetic dogs live an average of two years after diagnosis.

May be true on average, precisely because, as you mentioned, mostly diagnosed when older.

Reasonably managed, diabetic dogs live a "normal" lifespan - a few years if they are older and many more years if they are younger. Sadly, there are still people and vets who view diabetes as a death sentence. So people need to know that's not true.

- to celebrate milestones of living with and successfully managing diabetes!

A few years ago, I attended a seminar on diabetes. One of the first things he did was ask the group of vets what kills most diabetic dogs... The answer is their people... Because they refuse to treat and euthanize.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                        A few years ago, I attended a seminar on diabetes. One of the first things he did was ask the group of vets what kills most diabetic dogs... The answer is their people... Because they refuse to treat and euthanize.
                        This makes me sad. I can understand that in some cases the owner may not be able to treat the dog for some reason (finances being the biggest one), but just to refuse simply bc you just don't want to give insulin.

Comment

Sadder still is the vets who think it's okay to do that strictly because the dog has diabetes. We still see a few people who live in very rural areas where the vets are mainly livestock oriented who still think you should put down an animal with diabetes...

Comment

Almost 2 years for Buddy -- and doing fantastic -- largely due to this forum.
                            Buddy is a 7 year old miniature Schnauzer who originally weighed 30 pounds and now weighs 21 pounds. He eats 1/4 cup Honest Kitchen Zeal, 3/4 cup baked Alaskan Salmon, 1/4 cup Royal Canin Diabetic, 1/2 cup green bean or broccoli, plus 1 inch banana twice daily and is given 5 units Novolin N twice daily after his meals when he eats at 7 am and 7 pm.

Comment

Honey is approaching her one year anniversary - started showing symptoms in July & diagnosed in August. All is going well now thank God 🙏
                              Jen.
                              "A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a small furry object hurls into your arms & tells you how very glad she is to see you home" (Pam Brown)

Comment

Working...
                              X