Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

there are times i give jesse a very small dose of insulin when she plays that game but with numbers in the 40s and leaving for work i might skip the dose

this maybe a curve ball or a change in how much insulin maybe needed
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I believe Judi's right, when he's that low I'd stand pat!
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

It depends so much on their usual trend and how they react to eating.

Even when he's been really low, Eddie goes up like a rocket as soon as he eats so I just give him a slightly lower dose of insulin but I think he would just be way too high if I skipped a dose completely.

I suppose my advice would be to go with what you think is best as you know him best!

Antonia
        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

• I know I'm way late in commenting on this, but if it were me, I'd skip it all together. I figure if Vinny goes up, and stays up for a day or two it's okay. He'll come back down eventually, and I'd rather deal with a short period of high blood sugar than be worried about a hypo event while I'm gone to work. Of course that's just my opinion.
          Sending hope that Vinny's sugar finds its rhythm.
          Audrey
          Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Well Vinny continues on his random path. I did decide to give him half a dose then we reduced his insulin from 35 to 30 and thought we'd keep it that way for a week. This morning he was higher (330) but we expected it to be high. Then tonight he was at 112 and I know if I give him insulin at that point, he'll just go too low. Stinker.

He'll be off the antibiotics after this weekend, so I'll see if he continues this randomness then. I'm not sure what else to do other than to keep a close eye on things. Thanks all!
            Mel and her big stinker Vinny!
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

he is such a stinker but i think all our pups can be a stinkers at times especially being diabetic

always glad for testing
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Hi All!

Wow! It's almost been a year since I've posted anything about Vinny!

Vinny just passed his 4 year mark in late June! Diabetic-wise, he is still doing his own thing. Every time we get him between 100 and 200, he's good for a few weeks, then drops down too low suddenly and we back off the insulin. We've learned not to give him his insulin right away if he's at 150 or below. For whatever reason, he goes down from there even after eating. Like I said, he is still doing his own thing.

Otherwise, Vinny turned 11 in late May. He's beginning to show his age. He has arthritis in his hind legs that he gets laser treatments every week for. Vinny loves to go to the vet, because he gets lots of attention there. They treat him like a star! His hind legs have also become quite weak and they fail him at times. But yesterday he wanted to play tug with a toy, so he is still lovin' life.

I guess that's it for this update. Love and prayers to all!
                Mel and her Monster, Vinny
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Hey Mel! Glad to hear that Vinny is doing well

Time does fly... Both Vinny and Lily are going into their 5th year with diabetes.
                  Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-02-2017, 08:02 AM.
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
                    Vinny just passed his 4 year mark in late June! But yesterday he wanted to play tug with a toy, so he is still lovin' life.

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                    Hey Mel! Glad to hear that Vinny is doing well

Time does fly... Both Vinny and Lily are going into their 5th year with diabetes.
                    Nice work you two! Your fur kids are enjoying great lives because of your dedication to controlling their diabetes. Hate to even ponder what the alternative may have been. Shooting you both KUDOS!!!
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

great to hear an update on your wonderful monster

actually mel vinnys situation is not that unusual as with jesse she never was a hold steady type of girl

as we say on the forum we write our own story for the love we take care of

jesse is also getting older and we understand we are on the back end of life and those special moments like tug of war are something to really hold on to . i enjoy jesses romp with the rabbits not as fast as she use to be but that beagle howl has not changed one bit

glad vinny is still enjoying a dogs life

Comment

Hi All!

I'm sorry it's been so long. I was reading what I posted last summer and thought "I could just copy and paste that!" Not much has changed...just a little more of everything.

Vinny is coming up on his Five Year Sugarversary in June, and he still doing his own thing. Lately though, he has been on the high side. I have a feeling he's in more pain with his hind end than he wants us to know. His legs fail him daily now, we have rugs everywhere since we have wood floors. BUT he still loves going to the vet, riding in the van, and of course all the love and attention he can get from us! (Not to mention food, he loves food!)

We are experimenting with alternative treatments, he gets CBD oil on his food and I do think it has helped his pain level. We are going to have him evaluated on Wednesday to get a treatment for older geriatric dogs with weak hind ends. It involves water, so I'm not sure how well that will go over. We have to have a lab that doesn't like water!

So, I guess that's my update. We may be presented with some challenges, but diabetes doesn't seem to be one! Go figure.

Comment

thanks for the update mel .I have heard of the water treatment and its seems to help . We are visiting my mom and she has wood floors and i dont think its what jesse prefers slipping and sliding ( no rugs )

5 years thats impressive for how things started with vinny just shows how well his care has been and the amount of love he has received

Comment

Great update, Mel, ... hope you can mitigate / resolve your guy's leg issues. Five years is testimony as to the great care Vinny is receiving from you.

Comment

Good to read about Vinny. He’s a good boy and a favorite here Hope the leg evaluation goes well.
                              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                              Diabetes: Aug 2013
                              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks guys for the compliments! I really just think he's a stubborn lab! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!
                                Mel

Comment

Working...
                                X