Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sissy's Mom

I think I would prefer flat than big fluctuations.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Could it be possible Sissy doesn't need as much insulin at nite?? She usually runs high,maybe from to much insuli ?nwould I test that by trying 6 units at nite and 6.25 days???
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

What numbers brought that question up?

From what I've seen (and full disclosure, I've had NO experience with it), rebound means pretty big spikes up and down. So, a dog would go down to double digits and then up another 200-300 points. You've had some wide swings in the past, but most recently the numbers seem tighter, though still with some highs. I don't think pulling back on the insulin is what you need, unless you are hitting some very low lows.

What are you latest numbers?
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

No,no real lows . Yesterday 264,277,271, the last 7 a.m.fasting.
          A.m. fast. Pm fast

Mon 283. ------------------- 154
          Ties. 288.--------------------- 270
          Wed. 375. --------------------- 372
          Thurs. 375. ------------------- 205
          Fri. 233 ----------------------358
          Sat. 264.---------------------- 271
          Sun. 430. 10 am 352

Definitely have a pattern.couple of days lower,couple of days higher. Can u think of a way to bring down those higher days??
          Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

The way I would bring them down is with a touch more insulin. your lows are not too low. There's room there.

In what part of her body do you give your shots?

Comment

I give shots in stuff of neck to between shoulders. Can I give a touch more off and on or raise her to a touch above 6.25?? When I get her to 6.5 or more is when I start getting high 400'S to high 500's!!???????? At least have the last 3 tries???

Comment

#'s today.

Am fast. 430
                10. Am. 352
                5:45 pm fast. 130!!!!
                I want to give her 6 tonite and see what it does.

Comment

Is it possible that after a couple of days she gets a little to much insulin built up,and that is pushing her #'s higher.? Then she uses it up when higher and comes back down????

Comment

I don't think you're getting a build up EXCEPT

let me say a word about shots in the scruff (neck between shoulder blades) - my vet told me not to use that area because it may be less effective. Think of it this way - the scruff area could be acting like a sponge for your insulin, and maybe it is building up there. Now, that's a wild theory about what might be going on with her, but it corresponds with the advice I wanted to give you - to try shots in a different location. They may be more effective.

Can you start giving shots on her side - shoulder or above the flank area? You have to pinch the skin pull up, and then get the needle under the skin, but not in the meat/muscle. It's easy, but not as easy as the scruff.

Comment

In her side??? Like side of belly?? Shoulder?? Or above shoulder between shoulder blades,kind of across back?? Should I cut 1/4 to start that?? She is little and doesn't have to much skin there,but I can pull it up a little!!

Comment

Don't know where flank area is!!! Sorry!! ?????

Comment

I found a diagram that shows the areas.wow,not much extra skin.doesn't the needle go through to far?? Do u just put the needle in a little.

Comment

You gotta get a feel for it to make sure you get the insulin under the skin, but not in the muscle.

Comment

Does it just take doing it.will I hurt her?? I use 31 short needles and warm it

Comment

Can u switch around or pick an area and use both sides of the same area.

Comment

Working...
                                X