Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personality change makes me sad

what i look for in a clue to maybe to much insulin if your getting big fluctuations in blood sugar highs and lows if you get consistent numbers say in the 300s then it is possible for a need for more insulin

as natalie said there are buts and since you have seen numbers in a lower range its possible this is temporary and if the body did respond to a lower range with higher numbers that can stay in the system a bit giving the impression of higher numbers and if there is an infection that can lead to higher number also and once gone insulin needs can decrease

the only way you can determine this as you know is more testing its good you do take into account of the lower range and nothing wrong in being cautious . well it might be a good idea keeping your strips spot check at normal times and fasting until you are able to get more

now there are discount meters out there for us people who have limited funds i am able to get jesses strips on ebay from 5 to 10 dollars for 50 you just need to compare and if and check consistency in low range ( priority) and high range you maybe able to afford a bit more testing in the end it may save you allot of money in vet bills
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank u for the strip info.I checked freestyle and one touch and the strips r more than alphatrak her numbers have gone down all day.!!!! Isn't that backwards.???? She is due for insulin at 7 pm and I am very confused about numbers going down all day sams not up???????
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

if the numbers are in a lower range coming off some highs as i said it might point to a need for less insulin you definitely dont want to raise many times vets do not catch these things because testing is so infrequent but as we discussed and your concerns he was in a lower range just a short time ago

so you can try a lower dose but if insulin has been dropping all day it is possible he will spike up with any amount of insulin
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

another factor is being lethargic my jesse was overdosed in the beginning and she didnt budge till after her sugar spiked up sometimes that can be another clue

Comment

Jesse girl,what meter you use. I understand calibration to the alphatrak so I would have an idea about range. What one has worked for u.wow,what a deal on strips.I have spent 200.00 this month on strips.!!!! Thank u so much for great input. This forum is far more info than vet!
            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

i have used the prodigy auto code its the talking meter i bought the meter on ebay usually comes with a 100 strips i paid 30 something it has been consistent for us but i dont know of anyone else using it

like i said we cant afford the alpha track for the amount of testing jesse needs to keep her safe 4 times a day

check out on ebay i believe amazon carrys it too but ebay is cheaper you can always compare with your alpha track takes very little blood also

remeber a meter does not need to be perfect just consistent

Comment

Thanks so much.yes,with a lot of testing the alphatrak is to expensive.I believe someone else on here said they use one touch ultra and just the alphatrak for curves. That might work as I have it,but must find a cheaper solution for everyday. I will check out eBay!!!

Comment

You might consider the Walmart ReliOn Prime. The test strips are only 18 cents each, compared to over a dollar for the AlphaThak2.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/blood...g/relion-prime

I use both the Prime and AlphaTrak2. As with most human meters, the Prime reads lower than the AlphaTrak2, but it is easy to figure out a fairly accurate conversion (percentage difference).
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Craig,thank u so much.I will go check it out tomarrow.I will use both strips with one blood sample and go from there. Sounds like a good solution.I will do a full 16 hr curve next Thursday and post results with alphatrak.!! All of u have been volumes of info. I don't k.ow how I would get through this without this forum.I don't feel so alone in this journey.

Comment

Just don't get in a panic when you use a human meter after using the AlphaTrak and see much lower readings. Just as an example when I compare my AlphaTrak2 reading of 108 to the ReliOn Prime I might see 70.
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

So u figure it runs around 30 pts lower. If I can get it tomarrow,I will do the curve Friday!!

Comment

Originally posted by stylynjm
                          So u figure it runs around 30 pts lower. If I can get it tomarrow,I will do the curve Friday!!
                          Best if you do your own testing. I get both meters ready and test the same blood droplet with both meters.

I then divide the human meter reading by the AlphaTrak2 reading to get percentage difference. Example: Prime 70 divided by AlphaTrak2 108 = 0.65

I would do this side-by-side test at least 10 times and take the average. I would throw out any tests over 400ish because they are too high and might throw off the accuracy. Best if you had about 10 pairs of numbers between 100 - 250 (Alphatrak2)

Then, I divide any reading I see on the human meter by the conversion factor (.65 in this example) to get an AlphaTrak equalvancy.

Every few weeks I run a side-by-side test with the AlphaTrak to be sure the conversion is still valid.

Comment

Craig,thank u so much for ur explanation. I will do that. I am looking forward to ur expertise after I can post her curve numbers. Again,thanks so much

Comment

Has anyone had trouble switching from Walmart humilin n to novolin n.???? The Walmart here only carries novolin n now. R there any differences????

Comment

i would not worry about it to much jesse had to change from pet insulin (vetsilin) in the first 2 weeks of diagnosis then a few months later she had to switch to humiliun under the relion brand each had little impact i think the humilun was a bit more milder so a small reduction maybe a good idea give the normal 3 to 5 days and reevaluate

if your pup is on the higher side i would just keep it the same

Comment

Working...
                                X