View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and setting up a Thread for us. Scruff and I fell asleep watching TV. It has been a long and stressful day for us.

Without trying to quote and answer each question you've posed, I'll give a little more detail about Scruff and myself.

My wife and I acquired Scruff when he was less than 3 years old from our son and daughter-in-law. When the grandbabies began to arrive, they didn't want to keep him any longer. Scruff adapted well as I retired a month after the second grand child was born, March '08. He's been my side-kick to this day, going where ever I go! He likes to ride in my old vintage VW Van...... the middle seat is his

Anyway, no insulin therapy has been started. Scruff has one more Vet appointment to confirm that he in fact has elevated sugar. At that point we will start the therapy. The Vet is familiar with such needs as he has guided a number of his patients to a long life based on what we've learned just in the past few days discussing the issue with friends and relatives.

Since Scruff finished a 15 hour fast this morning, I started him on a modified diet and better feeding habits. He's having a hard time adjusting.... especially not receiving a treat when he comes back from an outside potty break. He knows how to "nose" the door open and always comes back in the house with a hard shake......... sort of to let us know he's back I suppose. I'm thinking maybe some boiled chicken chunks would work for a treat opposed to the usual dry dog bone that he's been use to getting.

Well, I'll not go on boring you with our story.

Once again, thanks so much. I feel certain that the support and information I'll glean from the various Threads in this forum is going to be most helpful.

Last edited by AndyBees; 01-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.