View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Dog diagnosed with diabetes 4/28/20

Your a positive person and that can be very helpful as the little things will motivate you . High protein diets dont work well for diabetics . I actually did a raw diet for jesse in the beginning and It did not work well for her digestion and regulation of her diabetes . Usually they need a balanced diet and that includes carbs . Actually the high meat diets are hard on the organs to digest and maybe harder for senior dogs . Its amazing how we can get completely opposite information on the subject . All I can tell you is what I see in jesse and high protein meat diets did not work well for her . Balance is the key and grains can be part of that equation and why the prescription diets work for blood sugar but they are not very appetizing

The best thing to get mobility back is decent blood sugar . Now it doesn't need to look like anything close to normal for a dog to do well . Members who's dog had weakness it wasn't a fast return to normal but gradual but my theory the earlier you can improve sugar than maybe it can return quicker . Yes the methyl b-12 can be given in higher doses with no negative affects as like you said they pee it out

My Jesse is a senior dog and has similar problems to your guy and thats ok . As long as they are happy . Dogs usually dont care about getting old .

Your off to a good start . Testing sugar at home will be a great help to get your dog regulated . As far as food find a balanced diet that your dog is interested in eating because as dogs get older appetite decreases . My jesse only gets one meal a day so that is an option for dogs who wont eat 2 or it is just a battle to do so . There is flexibility in treating the disease as long as you keep it consistent. With your dog you kind of have to find your own path on managing the disease as each dog has their own unique set of challenges .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .