Our doberman Quincy's final chapter May 4, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quincy, the doberman

I guess you could say she had a treat. The 307 was about 2 hours after she treated herself to a field mouse.
    Quincy 8 1/2 year old Black/rust spayed Doberman, diagnosed May 2, 2015, 87.6 pounds, 10 units 2x daily Novolin N, W/D plus whatever she can catch

Comment

Originally posted by imwildfire View Post
      I guess you could say she had a treat. The 307 was about 2 hours after she treated herself to a field mouse.
      Well, that might have made a difference, no way to really tell.

I'm thinking a mouse is protein, so maybe won't affect BG much, but I have no idea. You would hate to adjust the insulin relying on a mid day mouse treat!

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

We've been trying to become more educated about this disease and it's hard to put it all together. We're now giving 13 units twice a day, but her numbers are still so high. (300's) Just this last week we discovered that the human and dog blood are different, so we need another meter designed for dogs. It's ordered and on the way now. We're learning!

Question about the food. The W/D has corn and that concerns us. In everyone's humble opinion, should we be feeding grain free to get away from corn and if so, what do you suggest?

Thanks
        Quincy 8 1/2 year old Black/rust spayed Doberman, diagnosed May 2, 2015, 87.6 pounds, 10 units 2x daily Novolin N, W/D plus whatever she can catch

Comment

well the prescription foods work well as a general consensus for many especially if you dont want to go much beyond just giving shots

for me it wasn't the corn or other ingredients for jesse she did not get a premium food before diabetes but after i wanted a highly nutritional meal without all the fillers but the fillers maybe what balances injected insulin and blood sugar

now if your seeing good blood sugar i might not want to disturb that . if not and you gave a routine a desired amount of time to see positive results than a change maybe in order . i am in the mindset to do small changes at a time. i think in this situation it doesn't take as long for the body to adapt as a complete change all at once would . so with small changes results may come sooner positive or not . if positive than you can move forward worth it

another thing is reading curves and maybe understanding them. not an easy thing and the most difficult and important thing with the management of this disease. there is nothing set in stone but a few clues on a direction . just saying my dog is in the 300s doesn't say much. was there any drops ,rises, flat across the board . it maybe as simple as you just need more insulin or less

i have yet to see anyone who can give a for sure understanding of curves and how to decipher them . its more of an art than a science

my jesses routine looks very little like the 12/12 routine but each difference was a small process and this is where we ended up step by step and after 5 years we are still testing the waters from time to time to improve things . i am probably more flexible than most and not as rigid because there was no benefit for jesse . as long as her numbers are respectable and quality of life is good than we are where we want to be
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Have you done any curves with your current meter? Even human meters can give you a clue to what is happening with Quincy. I would want to know what type of pattern you are currently seeing.

Food wise, there is really no magic food out there. WD has been shown to balancing well with insulin. No food is perfect to match up with insulin for every dog and many different diets have proved successful. I wouldn't care if the ingredients are cardboard, if it worked to balance with insulin and keep my dog in a good range, I would be all over it. I have seen some high protein foods that didn't balance so well with insulin - it s a matter of testing out everything and seeing what works.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I think (THINK) that the diabetic formula foods probably are good, even with the corn. I think (again THINK) the type of corn used is more for the fiber than the carbohydrates. The problem some may have is that the pup might not like the taste, or doesn't want to eat a full serving. The serving size of most of those food is much higher than "normal" food. Also, large serving size + high cost of the food = expensive.

Yes, human meters generally read dog blood lower than true, but many on the forum get by nicely using the human ones.

Craig
              Last edited by CraigM; 05-25-2015, 12:24 PM.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Sadly this is the last chapter on Quincy. Last Tues she broke her femur. We opted to give her every chance. Her operation was Wed and we brought her home Thurs. Even though she was elderly for her breed and a diabetic, we still gave it all we had. She passed away early this morning. We are so sad it hurts.

Don't know if we're allowed to offer this, but Quincy was on Novolin N and we have two brand new bottles, safety caps still intact, and we would gladly give them to anyone that can use them. We also have an Alpha Trak meter. Just pay the shipping.

I don't like posting on the internet, but I do read. I'll check back in to see if anyone PM's me about the supplies. If not allowed, I apologize. Thank you.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about Quincy's passing. They always leave us too soon, but I hope that the good memories will comfort you and your family during this difficult time. I'm sure she knew how much she was loved.
                  Sending cyber hugs your way and a kiss skyward for Quincy,
                  Audrey & Bazzle
                  Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

I'm so sorry.
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Re: Imwildfire

Originally posted by imwildfire View Post
                      May 3, 2015: We picked out Quincy when she was 8 weeks old and we love her so much. She's such a good dog. Took a while to finally figure out where to get blood on her so we can check her blood sugar level. She never flinched as we made a pin cushion out of her. Poor thing.
                      I am so sorry to learn of Quincy's passing... I went back and read your first few posts about Quincy and you and your family's love of Dobermans, how special Quincy was in healing your hearts. She was obviously a cherished member of your family so I know she had a wonderful life with you.

Sending her a kiss skyward and a hug to you and your family,

Natalie

Comment

Re: Our doberman Quincy's final chapter May 4, 2016

So very sorry to hear about the loss of Quincy. Sometimes, even our total love and devotion is not enough to save them. You did all you could humanly do and she knows this. She can now be your guardian angel - to watch over you until you see her again. Fly free, sweet Quincy!
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

many times with our pups these things come on so sudden and we have to make the difficult decision . I have been preparing myself since jesse got really sick but the outcome i perceived was different from jesse .

quincy had a long good dogs life thats a good thing we miss them thats for sure
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So sad to hear of Quincy's passing. It's apparent you took great care of her, as well as "going the extra mile" for your girl.

No doubt, she's in that Better Place watching over you as she waits for your reunion. You, and yours, have my deepest condolences, and Godspeed to Quincy.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

So sorry for your loss of beloved Quincy.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

So, so sorry to read about Quincy! It is so apparent by your posts how much you loved her. I am sure she knew that you gave her every chance!

Prayers for comfort and peace,
                                Mel and Vinny
                                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X