Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Giving up...really can’t take much more

is there any adjustments I can do to help the sugars not get so high during that time?
    I even Daisy out by giving her a noodle around noon and 12 am when she started to get to her nadir and her numbers became nice and steady at fasting.
    Last edited by Daisydog10; 02-28-2018, 04:45 AM.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Giving a bit of food in the afternoon won’t cause the blood sugar to go up?

Mochi’s fasted number this morning is high as well...this is al just a mess.

I don’t even know what my vet can do at this point since his numbers won’t ecen stay consistent for a few days.
      It was at 134 yesterday morning and now it at 377...
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
        I even Daisy out by giving her a noodle around noon and 12 am when she started to get to her nadir and her numbers became nice and steady at fasting.
        carby snacks before nadir (lowest sugar ) can flatten things out and reduce high fastings

Now these are not low glycemic foods . They kind of need to produce sugar quickly to work with active insulin as with daisy dog having a noodle . I give jesse a milk bone that has brown sugar in it . A green bean and those kinds of things wont work . Strong active insulin needs sugar quickly

Now timing can be important to early may not get the job done and to late after the numbers are rising may even see higher sugar

You have to experiment with timing and type of snack to see what works best for your pup
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Is it not a good idea to experiment yet if his blood sugar curves are not consistent?

I thought it would be similar again today but the number is completely off this morning again..the past two mornings were really good numbers. What does that indicate if his number gets high in the morning too?... it’s not making sense at all...

-Lina
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I had to experiment because her numbers were high at fasting and her nadir was low, not low enough to call it rebound but low enough that I could tell her insulin wasn't lasting. So I tried it and it worked.
            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

what about lowering the dose of insulin to 0.5? Would that be ok?

I'm too afraid to experiment
              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

What did Moochi's last curve look like? If his nadir was a little low you could try lowering his dose.

Comment

Yesterday’s curve was
                  5:30am (fasted)-137
                  12pm (nadir) -105
                  5:30pm (fasted)-460
                  7:30pm (two hours after food and insulin)-240

Today’s curve was
                  5:30am (fasted)-360
                  12pm (nadir)-105
                  5:30pm (fasted)-410

I think I’m done poking him for the week..I’ll give it a couple days and then do another small curve. My vet doesn’t work until Friday so I can’t talk to him about this or the blood test results. I just find it so strange because his bowl of water was untouched for 6hours til after he ate dinner and had his shot.
                  On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

The 105 doesn't give you much wiggle room, so maybe lowering his dose is a good idea. When Daisy's numbers looked similar, I added a few carbs in the morning, not many just a couple grams, and gave her a noodle around 11am/pm so her food would work with her insulin.

Comment

The 105 is still within normal range, and the fact her nadir is 105 no matter the morning fasting, is a good thing in my opinion. Her body uses the insulin proportionately and gets her to the same nadir. I'd love that.

And after supper, she comes down into a good range a couple hours later, also good in my opinion.

Morning fastings can be very different because of hormones and dawn effect. But then she gets to 105 consistently. Myself, if that was happening, I wouldn't worry about every morning fasting being great; if 50% of them are, I'd be thrilled, because mornings have so many things working against consistency.

As for supper fastings, you might try a small afternoon carb snack after nadir or timed as others have suggested. Don't be afraid to experiment! That's the essence of diabetes. I'm always changing things in my own management. You keep trying things until you find what works. And by works, I don't mean perfection, it's finding a nice consistent balance and absence of clinical signs.
                      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you guys for helping me out,

I still don't understand how he has such a high fasting number..before I changed his insulin dose it use to be the other way around where he was really high in the morning and then lowers out right before dinner and insulin. Now for the past 3days it has been the same except for the morning.

I will stop doing mini curves for a few days because my poor babies ears are full of holes and bruises from poking him.

yesterdays curve was:
                        Feb.28th
                        5:30am (fasted)-360
                        12pm (nadir)-105
                        5:30pm (fasted)-410
                        7:30pm (two hours after food and insulin)-159

I just hope it stays consistently like this..seems like his blood sugar changes from week to week...been like this for 3months now.
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

He's dropping pretty fast from 530pm to 730pm. I would bet he's using up his insulin at that time and that may be the reason for the high fasting levels.

Daisy did that and I evened her out by soaking 3 grams of dog food at dinner and breakfast. Kind of like the consistency of baby food so she could get some carbs digested and her food would keep up with her insulin. She went down nice and slow, which is what I wanted. When I did that, her fasting level looked much better, from the 4-500's to low 300's. Her nadir looked good so I didn't want to increase her insulin, so I ran a curve and added the noodle right before her nadir to see if she needed a few extra carbs to keep up with her insulin the rest of the day. She's been coming in around 160 to 200 at fasting.
                          Last edited by Daisydog10; 03-01-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Blood Work results came back

Hi Everyone...

My vet called me back for Mochi's blood test results.
                            He said there is nothing jumping out at him that's out of the ordinary for a diabetic dog but his cholesterol numbers got higher..so now he wants to do another exam to check his triglyceride.

Do any of you know anything about high cholesterol?...I'm a bit relieved that it's not cushings or cancer...but I'm still very bummed about how his cholesterol's high...

Thank you
                            Lina
                            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: Blood Work results came back

Originally posted by Lchow022 View Post
                              Hi Everyone...

My vet called me back for Mochi's blood test results.
                              He said there is nothing jumping out at him that's out of the ordinary for a diabetic dog but his cholesterol numbers got higher..so now he wants to do another exam to check his triglyceride.

Do any of you know anything about high cholesterol?...I'm a bit relieved that it's not cushings or cancer...but I'm still very bummed about how his cholesterol's high...

Thank you
                              Lina
                              My Lily had high cholesterol and high triglycerides after being diagnosed with diabetes. This went on for 3 months. In addition, insulin was having no effect lowering her BG readings.

It turns out that undiagnosed hypothyroidism was causing all 3 problems. Once on thyroid medication all 3 issues were resolved.

To make a long story short, I learned that it’s important to know that the standard T4 test, which is done by your vet, can be inconclusive when diagnosing hypothyroidism. A full thyroid panel needs to be done to properly diagnose.

If this is the case with Mochi, the best places for your vet to send the blood sample for a full thyroid panel is either Michigan State University or Hemopet.
                              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                              Diabetes: Aug 2013
                              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

• Re: Blood Work results came back

Thanks Mike for the response.

My vet told me his blood work for hypothyroid came back as negative so he's sure he doesn't have it.
                                I will have to bring him in to get his triglycerides first and ask him about further
                                testings for hypothyroid.

Thank you,
                                Lina
                                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Working...
                                X