Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sissy's Mom

Thanks shellie,I will go back up tomrrow if today stays ok. for anyone that uses a human meter how do u account for highs and lows,seeing they run lower than the dog meter.how do u know ur safe zone???
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

i have always treated the numbers as is on her humane meter and has worked well for jesse

understanding her trends and physical symptoms helps allot if she is in a lower range and i know we are getting close or slowing of any drops i will not intervene and leave things alone but will keep an eye on things
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That makes sense.Sissy is so mellow,it is hard to know how she is always. I'm still learning.!!!!
        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Originally posted by stylynjm View Post
          Well,Sissy and I made it through the first novolin dose. I gave hee 6 units.so far today her numbers have been about typical, all though this am,after food before insulin she was 450.not to uncommon for an after food reading.then she was 148 at 10a.m. 134 at 11 a.m. and 258 at 1 p.m. I am going to test again before food or insulin,and then a few hrs after insulin. What about staying with the six units for a day or two to see what she does????
          That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
            That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara
            She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Would love to get it evened out!!!! I think I will return to 6 1/2 units tomarrow if tonite r high. Then I plan a curve sat or sun.then I will post curve and am hoping to get some guidance with evening her out. Thanks so much

Comment

Wow,I just gave her 6 1/2, she was 546!!!!!!!! On AT2.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).
                  Are you waiting an hour after feeding for a specific concern?

Some folks wait a short amount of time if they think the dog will vomit or not eat the full meal. I wouldn't wait any more then 1/2 hr. like Craig suggests. I actually always inject before feeding. Ruby has a great appetite and with her megae causing regurge unto 4 hours post feeding the 1/2 wait wouldn't help us there. Fortunately she practically never regurges and if she does it is just a little spit. Not like the old days when it was 4 x daily projectile full meals...usually over my shoulder or on my husbands head.

Injecting sooner then the hour after feeding I bet will go a long ways to evening out. The insulin can take up to 1 1/2 hrs. to start working, paired with 1 hr after food may be the reason you are seeing that 400.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

The only reason is that's the way the vet started us out.we started insulin July 20th.she never told me to change,but after all I've learned form all of u,I'm thinking 30 minutes would help.should I give the 6 1/2 a couple of days first????

Comment

• Re: Sissy's Mom

My recommendation would be to give the insulin within 1/2 hr after eating. The only reason I would hold off was if I saw a low reading, but even then 1hr. might be too long. Remember though, this is from a person who injects before food and whose dog skyrockets without insulin...intermediate and fast- big food rise.

So I would do that regardless of what dose you are doing.

Do you test before feeding? That is one of the most important numbers to have.

Tara
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

I don't always test before food,I often test after food,before insulin.r both Important or is before food better? The vet had me teasing 1 hr after food,before insulin.occasionally,Sissy would be low after food before insulin,but not lately.I just didn't k.ow any different!! I'm learning so much from all of u

Comment

Don't worry, we all have gone through the same process of figuring it all out. You're doing fine.

But yes you definitely want to test before food. I would then wait the 1/2 hr. and then inject. No real reason to test after unless you are concerned, doing spot checks or running a curve. If you do run spot checks it helps if you keep the times the same so you can compare easier. For instance always at six hrs. post insulin ect. random tests are very hard to make sense of...at least for me.

Tara
                          Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Good plan.I check random and it does get confusing. Do u always test before food?? Is that because that's when u give I.ailing?? I like the idea of giving insulin sooner. Will start to marrow. Should I stick with 6 units to see what changing time does to days numbers??

Comment

I think the auto correct or something messed up a word?

The reason you test before food and insulin is because you want to see where the bgs come to rest after no food and insulin have been given for twelve hrs.

The other time that can be important to check is the nadir (insulin is strongest so bgs are lowest). With the Nonolin the nadir TYPICALLY....happens around 6 hrs. If your dog isn't typical it may occur at a different time. Doing the curve will help to see when it is occurring.

Not current enough on your thread to say whether you should do the 6 or 6 1/2. You did the 6 1/2 tonight, so you could decide on the dose based on what the fasting (before food and insulin) was in the morning. Over 200 and you should be okay to give the 6 1/2. It doesn't hurt though to be conservative. I think the picture will change for you testing before food and injecting earlier, so it might be good to play it safe with the lesser dose.

Sorry I can't be more help, I just am not familiar with your numbers and need to get some shut eye.

Tara
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Lol,big help,and me too with the shut eye. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X