ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ben

I have a 7yr. old male puggle who started displaying some signs of this disease. He is drinking lots more water, & also urinating more. He is also panting heavily but this happens mostly at night. I am on a fixed income I get SSI & have been trying to find a vet who will take payments but no luck so far. Anyone here have any ideas of what I could do as I want to get my dog to the vet as soon as possible. I live in northern Mn.
    Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Re: confused

hi and welcome

you could determine your pup is diabetic from a personal blood glucose tester and it can be a human type .if a friend or family member is diabetic maybe you could borrow to test your pup .

if your pup is diabetic you do want to start insulin asap there can be some complications from the disease that can spiral out of control like pancreatitis and ketoacidosis . with my jesse I waited to long which she did develop these complications which ended up with huge medical costs and jesse being very ill .

catching it early can be helpful
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Where are you? I'm in Detroit Lakes. This is workable if you can home test. I'm on my phone will check from my computer later
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I think you will need a vet involved for initial diagnosis but then if you can test his blood sugar yourself they should be able to work with you to get him regulated. You can get "N" insulin at Walmart for $25 per bottle.

If you don't feel comfortable saying where you are on the forum, message me. Maybe we can find you a vet who won't break the bank. Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

new diagnosis

Today my dog was diagnosed with diabetes. I know nothing about this, I am so upset. He is staying at the vets now because they want to check his kidneys also. They also said they have to regulate the amt. of insulin he is going to have to get. Is this a progressive disease? How long can they live until? Are their special foods for this also? Sorry about all the questions but I am new at this & I thought this board would be very helpful for me. Thank You.
          Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Comment

Re: new diagnosis

I was just passing the computer and saw your post. Here's a article that might answer some of your questions http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

I'll try to return later this evening, and I'm sure others will welcome you.

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi pacots, and a big, fat welcome to you, to this magnificent forum on canine diabetes. I'm not here often now, but I can tell you, you have found a great place for assistance.

Diabetic dogs can live a normal life-span, you'll be glad to learn. It does require of us daily care and attention to some details. Keeping a journal is a big help; once your dog comes home, and you get under way with the routine care, which, typically, means attention to feeding, and giving insulin shots, and for those (most here!) who like to track blood glucose levels, some testing.

Typically, denizens here work with their vets, to keep things going smoothly. Tjere are sometimes bumps in the road, as there are with any companion animal and their occasional illnesses.

I'm out of practice, so I'll let those currently working with diabetic dogs do the assisting for you. You'll find LOTS of assistance here. My Kumbi died of cancer, not diabetes.

Stepping aside now, to let others guide you!
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Welcome to the forum! The senior members of this forum have great advice. I'm a newbie at this but after 3 months post diagnosis this IS doable. Take a deep breath, read some of the posts, it will be ok. Ask your vet to start your fur baby on Novolin from Walmart as it is much more affordable.
                Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Hi and welcome to you! Tell us about your dog - his name, breed(or if he is an all American dog -what breed you think may be in his family), weight, age, what he is currently eating, and any other medical conditions.

First, most vets will prescribe human insulin or vetsulin and typically you will be instructed to feed twice a day followed by the insulin every twelve hours. You will find that the more consistent that you can be with the schedule, the better off your dog will be. Also, be prepared that regulation will not happen quickly - it is a process that will take a couple of months, maybe longer, if done properly.

Most of us test at home here on the forum - it is just easier on the dog and on your wallet. Vets are not always supportive of it but it has added years to my dog's life. We can always help you get started if you are interested.

My dog has lived six years with diabetes so a normal life span is possible and actually quite common.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hi, sorry I did not tell you about my doggy. He is a 6yr. old male puggle who I rescued from the luv of dogs in Fargo N.D. his name is Ben. I am so worried I am not going to be able to do all this stuff right. Of course I also have my hubby to help. I never imagined this would happen he was fine up until about 2wks. ago when he started displaying all the symptoms. He is staying at the vets now they said they had to test his kidney's tomorrow. then he will be there a couple of days until they get him on the right dose of insulin. Is all this expensive this is another problem I have we are only on SSI with a limited amt. of income. But I love him so much & do not want to give him up. The rescue said if there was a problem they would take him back, but i would rather go without something. I was a bit suprised today after the vet took the test he asked me if i wanted to put him down, i did not know this is a death sentence for a dog. Then he told me maybe he would live another 6mths.& i was devastated over that. Bur researching a lot myself seems they could live a normal life if i follow thru with what I am supposed to do. I am so glad I found this board i do not feel alone.

Comment

Originally posted by pacots View Post
                      Hi, sorry I did not tell you about my doggy. He is a 6yr. old male puggle who I rescued from the luv of dogs in Fargo N.D. his name is Ben. I am so worried I am not going to be able to do all this stuff right. Of course I also have my hubby to help. I never imagined this would happen he was fine up until about 2wks. ago when he started displaying all the symptoms. He is staying at the vets now they said they had to test his kidney's tomorrow. then he will be there a couple of days until they get him on the right dose of insulin. Is all this expensive this is another problem I have we are only on SSI with a limited amt. of income. But I love him so much & do not want to give him up. The rescue said if there was a problem they would take him back, but i would rather go without something. I was a bit suprised today after the vet took the test he asked me if i wanted to put him down, i did not know this is a death sentence for a dog. Then he told me maybe he would live another 6mths.& i was devastated over that. Bur researching a lot myself seems they could live a normal life if i follow thru with what I am supposed to do. I am so glad I found this board i do not feel alone.
                      Hi there and welcome!
                      All of us know that feeling when you just find out your lovable companion has diabetes. For me, my heart sank and I just felt sick. It took me about a week of reading and researching to find out that this was not the death sentence I thought it might be at first.

I'm surprised at your vet, although many don't have a lot of experience with diabetic pets. I would ask him what his experience is. Are there other medical conditions that would cause him to believe that 6 month's is all he has? You need a vet that is willing to work with you and your pup, not just suggest putting him down.

It can be expensive, but there are ways of cutting costs. The type of insulin you use to home testing. I found that I have more than paid for the constant testing that is required to regulate just by testing at home. There is a lot of information here and it will take time to digest. I've gone back and re-read or watched video's more than a few times just to make sure I understand. The people here too, are more than willing to help...even if you don't know the questions to ask!

You've found a great place, take a deep breath and let us know what we can do to help!
                      Mel
                      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

who is your vet? dogs can live a long time with diabetes. having him stay at the vets can be expensive but if his blood sugar was very high and if he possibly had ketones in his urine that happens a lot in the beginning.

down the road, if you can test his blood sugar yourself at home, you can save some money, put less stress on your dog, and work with your vet to get his dose right.

Most of us use "N" insulin that we buy from Walmart as it is only $25 per bottle. I'm in northern MN and my Jenny went to Dr.Dill for awhile in Fargo at the Animal Clinic. the Animal Clinic isn't cheap but he told me not to listen to people who predicted she would only live 2 years after diagnosis. He also was willing to work with me testing her blood sugar at home and emailing him the results.

hang in there, this does get to be a routine. Judi

Comment

It is so surprising that even now, vets still make these recommendations ! As if their clients aren't capable of taking care of a diabetic dog. It is not rocket science - it requires understanding of the way food and insulin works, a structured schedule of eating and shots, and monitoring to make sure you are on the right track. Many people are on a tight budget and there are ways to save money.

If you can test at home, it will save you money in the process avoiding those vet bills. Also, the food the vets sell is not required so if it is out of your budget, you can buy something less expensive. Also, the insulin from WalMart, Novolin N is $24. I would insist on that insulin.

To suggest your dog has six months is just irresponsible - I would like to introduce him to all the dogs on this forum who have lived many years with the disease and many of the ones who passed had another ailment like cancer. We are here for you. There are several areas to visit here on the forum that you can read through - the section for Diabetes and regulation in general is a must to explain the process and give you lots of info. Also, reading through some of the threads will let you see that this is totally doable. Many dogs here have multiple health challenges as well. Any questions you may have we will be glad to answer - just ask them here. Everytime you post to this thread, it will pop up first so no need to start a new one - it keeps all your info together.

Ben is only six so you need to plan on him being around for a long time. You can do this!
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by pacots View Post
                            hello and welcome...my dog has been diabetic now for about 4yrs nd is 12yrs old..no vet should say they will not live past 6 months of getting this..many animals live longer than that and most likely will be something else that will take them. as others have said there are so many ways you can cut cost..i home cook freds meals and by my needles and insulin at walmart which totals 32 dollars a month.if i was you i would maybe look for a new vet..one that you can trust to take his health into there own hands not one that wants to give up on you..i am so sorry you are feeling so sad..but dont let this scare you its NOT a death sentence by any means..hang in there everyone here will help you threw it..
                            sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

First of all I want to thank all of you for the warm welcome & advice. Received some good news today, the blood work came back with no organ or kidney damage thank god. When I first brought him in his level was 393. Dr. started him on 10 units today, now he will check his level tomorrow to see if he may need more, they told me he will be there for another 3 days to get to the right level then I can just give it to him at home. I expect him home Mon. now I am crying tears of joy. Hope none of you mind but I have a bunch of more questions to ask. Do I have to use diabetic dog food or can I just use the healthy weight one like the Blue Buffalo? Because the vet's food is very high. Where can I buy the nutrisca & the merrick? Can I give him some wet at all? Judi, I also live in northern mn. in erskine the vet is in plummer mn. So my best bet is getting the insulin & needles at wal-mart? I would rather give him if I could boiled chicken or hamburg but is that alright for diabetes? I guess this is a stupid question but treats are completely out right? His weight right now is about 40lbs. pretty heavy for a puggle.I know it is going to take some time for him to get used to eating this way, because he also loved table food. Where do you usually adminster the shot? Is it better i feed him 3 small meals a day than one big one? When he was sick now he could not get enough water & was having lots of accidents & panting heavily what I was wondering will this water intake & urinating more stop? Is heavy panting part of the disease also? I am so sorry for all these questions but you are all going thru this & I am still trying to get used to the fact that he devolped this. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all this help it means so much to me & I am so glad I found you.

Comment

Working...
                              X