The Wee Dude Alfie earned his wings 23rd June, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diggydog

Sounds like quite the gang - and what a heart of gold you have for doing all you do for them!

It saddens me to read that Alfie is not doing well - I've always enjoyed his stories and his love for life. Hoping you continue to enjoy each day with each other!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by diggydog View Post
      The Wee Dude Alfie. Don't really know what to say about him. He has been with me so much longer than I ever thought but the last few weeks have been very difficult. He has loved the pups being here and cuddled all my foster dogs but it's almost time to say goodbye to him. His blood sugar is completely out of any sort of control and I am having more bad days than good with him.
      He as usual eats well but has lost his spark and is now completely blind.
      I look in his eyes and know he doesn't feel good most of the time. Vet on Friday to c where we go but I am not hopeful of the outcome.
      He is such a brave wee soldier and I love him.
      Hey Allison,

How did Alfie's Friday vet visit go?? Well, I hope.

We're all pulling for Alfie!
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thanks for checking in Bill!

Vet visit was ok. Alfie wagged his tail the whole time and was in good spirits so obviously my vet wasn't concerned.
        Today Alfie has had 5 hypos despite only having 2 units insulin this morning once I got his big up to 400+ ......he usually has 9 units. I have given him enough sugar to sink a ship plus some white bread and 4x his normal food throughout the day and I am still struggling to keep him above about 70 just now.
        I tried to explain to the vet on Friday that he was happy cos he loved being there but at home he has lost interest in most things. They only c a snapshot in how he is and said he seemed fine. In my heart I know it's not the case and today is very much proving it. I just given him yet another 4 tablespoons of syrup and 60gs food. If he is still below 90 in the next hour we r going to the emergency vet.
        Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

oh my that is very scary glad you were able to get him back up

you may have some re regulation going on with maybe whats going on with alfie

there was a time with jesse where she was at 1 unit but i believe that was organ problems and i think liver her body's basal needs i think were not working very well and maybe erratic along with the bolus side with digestion

hope you can find a path to go for both of you
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Allison,

Those are pretty scary lows, especially when you are giving him many things to bring up his levels.

I know what you mean, you take them in, and they are completely different... and then trying to say that there is something brewing, the vets look at you sort of strange.

Hoping you can keep up us BG levels.

Barb
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
              Allison,

Those are pretty scary lows, especially when you are giving him many things to bring up his levels.

I know what you mean, you take them in, and they are completely different... and then trying to say that there is something brewing, the vets look at you sort of strange.

Hoping you can keep up us BG levels.

Barb

It's been a crazy day Barb!
              I got the feeling the vet didn't believe how things were for us.
              Alfie has had 240g food plus 16 tablespoons of syrup and only 2 units of insulin.
              He normally only has 60g food twice a day (not fed him dinner yet) and 9 units twice a day. Plus some rice and white bread.
              I can't for love nor money get his bg anywhere near a good range despite all I am giving him.
              Just spoke to ER vet who said they wouldn't do anything more than I was already doing for him but I could take him in if I wanted. Obviously if they won't do any more then I am then I don't really c he point in taking him in.
              They can't run bloods till the morning so I will take him in as early as I can.

Part of me feels like I am putting him through things that I shouldn't be. I feel that letting him go might be for the best for him. He looks so sad most of the time. I don't want to prolong things if it's going to make him suffer.
              Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Just sending hugs and strength, Allison. Sounds like quite a day - Alfie is one lucky wee dude to have such a wonderful human mom!
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I tried to explain to the vet on Friday that he was happy cos he loved being there but at home he has lost interest in most things. They only c a snapshot in how he is and said he seemed fine.

Otis was much like that, Allison. It was next to impossible for his doctor to get a good read on what was going on with him, based on symptoms. Otis managed to mask most of what was bothering when I'd take him in to be examined.

His vet told me it was because he'd get excited when we came in, and his "adrenaline rush" trumped his pain / discomfort and he wouldn't present the symptoms which caused me to bring him in. He'd be limping around at home with his tail dragging. We'd get out of the car at the vet's office, his tail would get wound up tight, like a spring, and he'd be bouncing around like a feisty social butterfly.

With you in spirit, Allison, knowing you'll do what's in Alfie's best interest.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thinking positive thoughts, what a day for you!
                    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

I don't know what to say - it so sad watching them age. Please know that we are all pulling for not only Alfie - but you as well.

Take care,

Tami and the blue-hairs...
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Part of me feels like I am putting him through things that I shouldn't be. I feel that letting him go might be for the best for him. He looks so sad most of the time. I don't want to prolong things if it's going to make him suffer.
                        Oh how I wish I could spare just one person the agony of figuring out when is the right time.

I was tortured with Ruby as I had kept her going for so long. I thought maybe it was just a combo that I hadn't thought of yet. I hate when people say "you will know when it is time". I feel that I never know. Natalie helped me to see that it isn't like a bolt of lightning, but more of a "coming to" the knowledge. Then Patty explained that of course we will always doubt our decision in some fashion if only because we love them so much and wish we could wave our magic wand.....

Which in reality we all wave for some amount of time near the end and it works.... for a while. When I think of what Patty did to give Ali more time, me with Ruby and how much time you have had stolen with Alfie.

I believe in animal communication and with some animals have contacted an animal communicator prior to letting them go. Early on I needed to have the extra assurance and permission the process gave me. The last time I used an animal communicator I asked doggie Basil if he wanted to stay with me longer and his answer was "it isn't going to get any better". The night before had been horrible with three seizures and him restless I between. I let him go later that day after some special time together.

Now I do two things; pray to be open to the answers that are there for me, and I speak to the animal directly and tell them it is okay for them to go.

Is his sadness a reflection of pain? Possibly some pain management would help, sort of buy him some more time as a hospice type of situation?

I know when Ruby's body was breaking down she was having terrible drops in numbers. It can be so hard on the caregiver who has striven to keep these numbers in a good range. Be gentle on yourself and make him as comfortable as possible.

I know Alfie is in wonderfully capable hands and you will make the best decision from the love that you feel for him.

Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Tara, you always know what to say. Advice we can all use....

sniffles...

Tami
                          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Allison~~
                            I think we all feel this way when we know the time to let go is close. It's so hard to say "this is the time", I think it's just that we love them so much...and they hide it so well.

I do believe that intuitively we do know when it's time, it's just hard to listen to our pups and that inner voice of ours. I know there have been times (too many) in my life with past pups, that I can look back and say "I should have gone sooner" or "I should have noticed that sooner" It's just so hard to notice when we're in the thick of it. I do believe they talk to us if we're open to hearing.

I also know the pain of taking our pups in and the vet seeing something incredibly different. Even when we took our old boy Bo in for his last visit, he was still excited to be there and see everyone. My husband even told me that Bo wasn't ready, but deep down I knew he was. It is hard to let go when you see moments like that.

My thoughts are with you and Alfie. I'll pray for you both as you go through this time together. I hope you find some quality time together and you are able to enjoy it rather than being so worried.

(((Hugs))) to you and scratches to Alfie,
                            Mel
                            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Allison,

Perhaps I had it easy with Abby. She did make it easy for me, but even so, I think I should have made that decision at least one day earlier.

I read somewhere when I was combing all types of articles as to know when you should make the decision, and how do you know. A vet stated she would much rather be one day too early than one day too late. I kept that in mind, and even so, I think I was one day too late. With hindsight Abby was not doing well, but they DO mask it so well, it is hard to read sometimes.

You will know, you may not realize, but you will know deep in your heart when it is time, and know that we are all here for you... no matter what.

Hugs,
                              Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks for checking in Bill!

Vet visit was ok. Alfie wagged his tail the whole time and was in good spirits so obviously my vet wasn't concerned.
                                Today Alfie has had 5 hypos despite only having 2 units insulin this morning once I got his big up to 400+ ......he usually has 9 units. I have given him enough sugar to sink a ship plus some white bread and 4x his normal food throughout the day and I am still struggling to keep him above about 70 just now.
                                I tried to explain to the vet on Friday that he was happy cos he loved being there but at home he has lost interest in most things. They only c a snapshot in how he is and said he seemed fine. In my heart I know it's not the case and today is very much proving it. I just given him yet another 4 tablespoons of syrup and 60gs food. If he is still below 90 in the next hour we r going to the emergency vet.
                                Awe,
                                Bless your heart Allison. I do remember those crazy high/lows that nothing would fix. Sometimes I think it's the body's response to whatever disease process they are fighting. Sometimes the insulin really hangs on and other times seems to be used up very quickly or not get absorbed well. My mom (medical educator) would cringe at that description but it fits well.

As far as knowing when it is time, well no one really knows that for sure. There's a lot of great insight that's been given. I tend to feel as Barb does and will say you will know deep in your heart.

Wishing you both well,
                                Patty
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X