Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Thanks for the info..oops dog vomiting..must go to DVM again..afterall..Fran
    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Suzie..10y.o...chihuahua...supposed to eat Hill's prescription W/D stew or pate..but refuses..Alphatrak with AlphaTrak strips (checked by Freestyle lite strips)... no exercise...A new charting system would be great since I use this somewhat confusing google doc that took me forever to understand with a cat with D.M. Thanks Fran...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kSM/edit#gid=0
      Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.

Comment

New to group.. Luigi 15 lbs. Trying to find how many units. Novolin N NPH using a U-100 syringe. Vet started on 1 unit, after 4 weeks just now to 5 units. as per postings most go by pounds BUT vet says that dosage is 0.2 units per kg. Very Very different from .25 to .5 per pound. Called Novolin 800 number, got no help due to the fact that it is not for use for canines, officially. Vet got upset that I was questioning dosage. Luigi has 3plus ketones, and BS over 450. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hello

I also use Novolin N and my dog weighs 21 lbs. He gets 9 units every 12 hours. I think as a parent you have all the right to question anything you want. I'd suggest you find a vet that will work with you!
          Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Name: Rocco
            Weight: ~50 lbs.
            Breed: Lab
            Diagnosed at 9 years, 6 months. Currently he´s 10 yrs/6 months
            Insulin: Caninsulin
            Dose: 8u . Twice a day.
            Cataracts: Had surgery and lens implants in both eyes 8 months ago
            Exercise: 4 times a day About 4 miles total. On weekends it´s a longer walk.
            Diet: Home made: chicken, veggies, brown rice (check my YouTube channel for more info about the home made diet). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber
            Meter: Pettest (Advocate) and Contour Next (Bayer). Checks before every meal.

As of right now we get very consistent curves, always on the 200-250 range. Our first vet almost sent him to heaven as he put Rocco on a 12 u dose, and he had so many hypoglycemia I don´t even know how he made it through. As said, that was with our first vet. Switched and for the past 8 months all has been just fine. We travel a lot with him Europe-US, and pretty much live a regular life except that we have to give him shots twice a day "rain or shine". I don´t think he has noticed any changes in his life except when he went blind, but he got surgery immediately and he went back to normal in no time. We have our lows, though, I´m always worried as we had never had a dog with this condition before. We had to do a lot of research regarding meters, home made food and stuff like travelling abroad with insulin! we´re fine now. Thanks for letting me join this community, I learn with all of you!
            Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Comment

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my post. My 10 year old Cairn Terrier (Sadie), was diagnosed with diabetes around 10 days ago with a glucose level of 432. I took her in because she suddenly began drinking tons of water and urinating inside. The vet started her on 4 units (vetsulin) twice a day then upped it to 5 units, twice a day almost immediately. After around 3 days of the 5 units, 2xper day, her glucose levels were around 150 which I was told "was great". Unfortunately, after a couple more days... she's back up to 450. I'm now wondering what the heck to do. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to discuss but I'm just wondering whether she was misdiagnosed and whether anyone else has run into a similar issue. She did also get diagnosed with a UTI and she's been on antibiotic's for 10 days and the frequent drinking and urination has diminished completely. I want to also add that around a month prior to the diabetes diagnosis, she did receive a prednisone shot for allergy symptom's. Again, wondering what other experiences may be useful. Thanks!

Comment

My Dog: Winnie (Female, 12 year old, shih-tzu mix)
                Weight: 25 pounds
                Just diagnosed
                Just switched to Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken
                use Advocate pet test meter
                Her blood sugar was between 640 and 450 when first diagnosed last week
                It has gone down to 450 to 350 but all of the sudden she won't eat
                Her kidneys are good according to blood test
                Need any help anyone can give me or advice
                She is on Vetsulin once a day/6 units (starting dose)
                Last edited by Suzanne123; 12-05-2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot insulin info
                Winnie - 25 lb poodle mix - diagnosed 12/1/17 - on 6 units Vetsulin 2x/day - Blue Buffalo Grain Free Chicken dry & wet mixed with 2 tbls. oatmeal - home test with Advocate meter

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne123 View Post
                  My Dog: Winnie (Female, 12 year old, shih-tzu mix)
                  Weight: 25 pounds
                  Just diagnosed
                  Just switched to Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken
                  use Advocate pet test meter
                  Her blood sugar was between 640 and 450 when first diagnosed last week
                  It has gone down to 450 to 350 but all of the sudden she won't eat
                  Her kidneys are good according to blood test
                  Need any help anyone can give me or advice
                  She is on Vetsulin once a day/6 units (starting dose)
                  Hi Suzanne, and welcome!
                  My dog is also on Vetsulin and I use the same meter to test him. He´s on raw food and eats like a lion! do you have any particular question? if so, go ahead, we´re all here to help. Don´t worry, diabetes can be managed, but you´re gonna need some patience, it takes time to find the right dose. If you´re home testing her you´re already in the right track!

Comment

Hi
                    My Dog is GOJI. She was just newly diagnosed 10 days ago!
                    She's a Maltipoo 7 years 9 months
                    16.5 lbs
                    She gets 4 units 2x day of Vetsuin, this was just increased we started at 3 units 2x day
                    I feed her homage organic chicken, ground turkey with some veggies or whatever she will eat. Sometimes its all natural chicken and apple sausage, she's not a fan of brown rice or veggies ;( I give her some nonfat greek yogurt and or all natural chicken jerky for treats
                    I have only take her for professional glucose testing and her numbers are still over 500
                    I also put her on a supplement called Ocu-Glo recommended by a vet in Florida and put her on a liquid supplement 8 drops 2x a day call Blood Sugar Gold. It has great reviews!

Comment

Hi
                      My Maltipoo was just diagnosed 10 days ago and I am struggling with the food especially in the AM also. My vet just instructed me to give her the injection anyhow for now because he's so high in the 500s. I am beside myself from this whole thing. Im stressed and so sad and upset!

Comment

Name: Cocoa
                        Breed: Chocolate lab
                        diagnosed: January 29th, 2018
                        Diet: 4 Health grain free turkey and potato, no treats. If we do give treats its fresh green veggies.
                        Insulin: vetsulin, was 18 units until this week, but now having severe bouts of hypoglycemia.
                        Meter: Relion Prime, thinking about getting a alphatrak 2 or a pet test advocate.

Other meds: apoquel every other day for itchy skin ( has been on this for 3 years)

Comment

Originally posted by R13sWife View Post
                          Name: Cocoa
                          Breed: Chocolate lab
                          diagnosed: January 29th, 2018
                          Diet: 4 Health grain free turkey and potato, no treats. If we do give treats its fresh green veggies.
                          Insulin: vetsulin, was 18 units until this week, but now having severe bouts of hypoglycemia.
                          Meter: Relion Prime, thinking about getting a alphatrak 2 or a pet test advocate.

Other meds: apoquel every other day for itchy skin ( has been on this for 3 years)
                          Hi there! we have several things in common: my dog is also a lab (black) on Vetsulin and Apoquel (on a daily basis, though). We use the pettest advocate. We had some issues with hypoglycemia on the first months, but we reduced the dose to 8 units twice a day and now it´s all under control, but I´m not going to lie, it took time.... Anyhow, if you have questions, just ask!

Comment

Suzie eats 20g gr beans, 60 g chicken and 30 g partial Rubie Stewbie twice/day. Now, on Vetsulin for trial..I now have 3 AlphaTrak meters ( I do not repeat a suspected error test on same AT meter) and use all AlphaTrak strips backed up for accuracy with Freestyle Lite strips (with AT meter) if error is suspected.

Comment

Homemade (chicken, mackerel,pinto beans , yams,grinned up vegetables , hard boiled eggs . grinned egg shells and a sprinkle of yeast flakes ) I have added a probiotic . NPH insulin . I add novolog or R as a correction to higher sugar . Meters i use auto code and one touch Verio but i have used many other types and all human . never used a pet meter
                              Last edited by jesse girl; 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM.
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Daisy 10 y/o mini schnauzer 20lbs

95 grams protein (Chicken/beef)
                                45 grams chana dal (desi chickpeas)
                                65 grams green beans
                                1 tsp pumpkin
                                Between 10-20 grams kibble, depending on activity and fasting glucose
                                1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm
                                1/2 vitamin
                                1/4 t d-mannose before bedtime

4.5u Novolin N

Advocate PetTest
                                One Touch Ultra- unistrips are pretty cheap
                                Alphatrak2 - don't use this too much anymore
                                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                                X