Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

I have always been concerned about spirit going under anesthetia because newfs in general have slow metabolisms and many don't do well under anesthetia. I've discussed all this with my vet and will inquire wether they will use gas or general sedation. He commented that since I feed him so early in the morning (5-5:30 a.m.) and the procedure won't be done till after 11:00 he is comfortable. As for me, I'm sick to my stomach about this and can't wait for him to be done and back with me.

I do trust this vet very much. He has been with me throughout the whole diabetic experience and thanks to his quick diagnosis, we believe we caught the diabetes in the first 2 weeks. I do plan on giving him a little less food and insulin in the morning, take him for his normal walks and then drop him off by 9:30. When spirit's routine is interrupted it can take me weeks to get back to regulation......the only reason I decided to do this is he has a "swollen" part of his gums behind his canine teeth and the plaque IS getting really bad. Since we will be traveling for 5-6 months there is nothing worse than being on the road and trying to find a vet or pet hospital that can treat him and understand diabetes. It is easy to treat a urinary tract infection but an absess or gum infection can get tricky....
    Last edited by jim maceri; 09-20-2015, 07:33 AM.
    Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Don't want to do a commercial for Zymox dental water additive, but it seems to work in Annie.
      http://www.zymox.com/products/zymox-brushless-oral-care

Most trips to the vet contains the "Ugg, that's a lot of plaque!" comment. I've been adding the Zymox to her drinking bowl about 6 months (maybe 4 times a week) and the vet didn't say anything when he checked her mouth. I then asked how her teeth looked and he said they looked OK and asked if we had been brushing.

I order it from Amazon.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

yes you dont want mouth problems and your are beginning to see signs of infection so it needs to be done

i think you and your vet have a good plan on the preliminary's

i understand re regulating after a blimp to regulation it common for many of us and expected but they usually get back on track after the antibiotics is finished up

if some digestive issues are present a probiotic maybe helpful

hope things go uneventful with the cleaning and spirit gets wright back on the hoarse ( spirit on a horse that would be a site to see because hes kind of like a horse being so large )
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks craig, I'll give it a look. I decided I will cut his food and insulin by 50% in the morning. I will ask the vet what they will use to sedate him and hope it is gas.... I'm just a nervous Nellie and I'm sure he'll be fine. He likes going to the vet because they give him so much attention there.

A friend of mine had a 12 yr old newt who went into the vet to get his teeth cleaned. The same day he started acting groggy at home, fell off the porch and died. Just can't stop thinking about that so u can be sure I won't let him out of my site when I get him home.
          Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

I use all the Zymox products - they are great for diabetics because they use enzymes that help moisturize their mouths and break down plaque. There is a gel and spray that are really helpful. Some of the gels out there have alcohol which causes their mouths to be drier.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I can empathize with your concern for sure. Did not know Newfies were tricky for surgery. Just to relieve some of your anxiety, pugs are notoriously bad at anesthesia. We have had so many surgeries over the yrs, and only had one problem.

All of my vets have used gas (isoflurane), but they also use a pre-op med to intubate so they can administer the gas. My only problem was Louie, who had an allergy to that med combo, and his heart stopped. They revived him and he was fine, no surgery that day! ON subsequent surgeries on him, we skipped the pre-op med and went straight to the gas, but you will find they wake up very quickly, and very scared and confused. With the pre-op they wake up slowly and kind of get their bearings.

So with Louie, I am in the recovery room, and take him in my arms off the surgery table, as he wakes up, and that helps. But in more than 20 surgeries on pugs, no lasting problems. It sounds like you have an excellent vet, and you and Spirit will be fine.

Prayers for you both, Joan

Comment

let us know how it goes Jim. Jenny had anesthesia twice during her time as a diabetic. The vet was a nervous wreck but she came through like a champ both times. hoping the same for Spirit
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

How much does it cost you a month, Craig?
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                    How much does it cost you a month, Craig?
                    Hard to really figure out. It really depends on how frequently you need to refill their water bowl. The 8 oz bottle costs about $19 from Amazon and I'm just finishing the first bottle after 5-6 months(?). The bottle has a pump top and the dosage is 2 pumps per quart of water (never measured what a "pump" measures). Annie doesn't drink all that much water, and as I said, I treat maybe 4 bowls of one quart capacity per week.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

OK, thanks, I'll try it on Sonny.

Seems his teeth need cleanings frequently. His last cleaning was in January and his breath is kind of raunchy again, so the vet's gonna take a look this afternoon to see if they need to be cleaned again.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Dropped Spirit off at 9:00 a.m.

I talked to the vet on Sunday (great guy) and he told me to go ahead and feed spirit at 5:00 a.m. and give him his normal insulin. Once we got there he told me that the procedure for diabetic dogs is to give them an IV of what he said was like a xanax to "mellow" them out. He then intibates him and only uses a gas anesthesia since it goes in the lungs and out of the lungs and does not get processed in the liver and kidneys. He also said that doing it this way allows the dog to come out very quickly once the procedure is done.

He assured me he would be checking his blood sugar before, during and after the procedure to make sure his levels are o.k. and once per hour until 4:00 when I pick him up. Spirit woke up at 5:00 with a reading of 239 before food and shot. At 7:30 before our walk he was 313 and a post test after the walk had him at 190. He is going to be sending me home with some antibiotics for a few days for him since they have to laser off a small gum nodule behind his right canine tooth.

He made me feel much better about the procedure so now I hope he wants to eat when he gets back at his 5:00 meal, although Spirit has NEVER turned down food......keeping my fingers crossed and will let you all know the results once he's back home.

Comment

sounds like your vet is very thorough, and Spirit could not be in better hands.

Comment

all fingers and toes are crossed! Looking forward to a positive update this evening!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Ditto on the vet comment, ... hoping it's a good visit for The Spirit.

Comment

Picked up the big guy.....the vet tested him prior to the procedure at 11:00 and he was 180.....it took about an hour to do everything and he was 167 after. At 3:00 he was 102, I picked him up at 3:30 and based on the numbers coming down I gave him one milk bone laced with some Karo and now at 4:00 he is 125 with the meal coming in about an hour.

All went well although he is a bit groggy still and just snoozing at my feet as I write this. The vet decided not to send him home with any antibiotics instead they gave him a shot. While he was under I had them draw blood to do a full CBC and all of his blood levels where in the normal range with the exception of his glucose of course. That IS GREAT NEWS. Love the fact this animal hospital doesn't have to send out to get the results.

So tonight I'll just throw a pillow on the floor, pick out a good movie and keep an eye on him.

Craig, I ordered the zymox and will begin trying that when it arrives, thanks for the recommendation. BTW.....He DOES have a million dollar smile now, the ladies will love him when we get back to our camp in florida.

Thanks for all the advice and moral support folks...this place is the best!

Comment

Working...
                                X