Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Glucose Problems!

Hi Everyone,
    3 months ago my 13 year Cavalier dog was diagnosed with Cushings Decease, Diabetes, Sick Sinus Syndrome and a Heart Valve Issue. He nearly went blind at the beginning of the month, due to the diabetes attacking his system so quickly. I was able to have his cataract surgery done and he has done beautifully with his healing. However!! The Vetsulin has not been favorable for him and BG was spiking at odd times (Curve: 8:00am=313 10:00am=537 12:00pm=515 2:00pm=441 4:00pm=264 6:00pm= 255) I think they are trying to keep him in the 300-375 range, so the Internist has switched him to Novolin N and his levels are staying in the 525+ ranges. I am currently in the middle of a curve (Fasting Curve @ 7:00am=530 8:00am=507 10:00am=465 12:00pm=539). This is my first curve on the Novolin N I know we can regulate ourselves with urine strips and blood tests (which he is very tolerant of when I prick his paw). I am however, uncertain, of how much I can increase the Novolin N. I know they were increasing the Vetsulin 1-2 units at a time. Would that be the same for the Novolin N? I am so new to this and am so frustrated with the vets not helping. ALL help is appreciated!!
    Thank You,
    Jules
    Jules
    Hunter is a 13 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, 17lbs. Diagnosed a diabetic June 2017. Started Novolin N 10/27/17, 11 units 2x @ 7 & 7. He has Cushings Decease. Crock Pot Diet for Dogs w/no carbs. He's trying hard to beat the odds!

Re: Blood Glucose Problems!

Welcome to the forum.

How much does your pup weigh? What medications is he on in addition to the Novolin-N? Did you switch to U-100 syringes when you switched to Novolin-N?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Oops, a few more questions.

What dosage of Novolin-N? Injecting and feeding twice a day, about 12 hours apart?

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
        Oops, a few more questions.

What dosage of Novolin-N? Injecting and feeding twice a day, about 12 hours apart?

Craig
        Hi Craig,
        Thank you! I'm very grateful to have found this forum!! Hunter weighs 17.2 pounds. Because of other health issues he is on a number of other drugs + vitamins. So, with the diabetes. He is on Novolin-N (7 units 2 times a day), and yes definitely switched to the U-100 short syringes. His heart conditions demand 2 drugs to keep his heart pumping that is 2.5mg Terbutaline 2x a day, 100mg Theophylline SR 2x a day. His cushings decease is controlled with 250mg on Tuesdays and 125mg on Saturdays. His liver and gallbladder have been diagnosed as "sludgy" so we have to take 150mg of Ursodiol 1x a day. And last but not least, he has 2 herniated discs(long ago injuries) in his back that may or may not be affecting his spinal cord so....he is on 100mg Gabapentin 2x a day. And all the drugs are given 12 hours apart, except Ursodiol that is given at lunch with his vitamins (Petform). I know he is 13 but this dog is so high energy and life loving he doesn't let much get to him. But I have to say diabetes is really nudging his tolerance level right now. This has been a very difficult thing for him to beat. We had the cardiologist at his cataract surgery to externally pace his heart during surgery 26 days ago. His eyesight is back and he is only on Neo/Poly/Dex drops 3x a day, the Neo/Poly/Dex ointment 2x day and the Tacrolimus Tears 2x a day. He is a difficult case, but he has a tremendous love for life!! As always all help is appreciated.
        Jules
        Last edited by Jules; 10-30-2017, 03:16 PM. Reason: P.S. He does get fed twice a day and insulin twice a day
        Jules
        Hunter is a 13 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, 17lbs. Diagnosed a diabetic June 2017. Started Novolin N 10/27/17, 11 units 2x @ 7 & 7. He has Cushings Decease. Crock Pot Diet for Dogs w/no carbs. He's trying hard to beat the odds!

Comment

Thanks for the additional information. I was lucky that my Annie was “only” diabetic. I’m sure Hunter is more challenging! I’m hoping that others with more experience will check in this evening.

I think I’ve read that Cushings dogs usually require higher insulin dosage? Many on the forum try to maintain 150-250ish range. What meter are you using?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Thanks for the additional information. I was lucky that my Annie was “only” diabetic. I’m sure Hunter is more challenging! I’m hoping that others with more experience will check in this evening.

I think I’ve read that Cushings dogs usually require higher insulin dosage? Many on the forum try to maintain 150-250ish range. What meter are you using?

Craig
            Thank you Craig, I hope that what we are having to go through will somehow help someone else. That is always my prayer. I'm using the AlphaTrack which is the same one they use at the emergency vet here. I really have had great results with it and find it very easy to use. I wish we would have been able to find y'all earlier and have shared time with Annie here in the forum.
            Jules
            Jules

Comment

Hi Jules and welcome to the forum. Hunter has a lot going on there. He’s lucky to have you to care for him.

The process to get his BG regulated is the same for Novolin N as it is for Vetsulin... let his body adjust to insulin increases for 5 to 7 days, do a 12 hour curve, evaluate the results and then, if necessary, increase insulin in 1 or .5 unit increments and then repeat the process until his low(nadir) BG reading is around 150.

Medications can affect his readings. For example, Neo/poly/Dex for his eyes is a steroid, which usually raises blood glucose. But every dog reacts differently. My Lily is on it and her BG doesn’t seem to rise with it.

Mike
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                Hi Jules and welcome to the forum. Hunter has a lot going on there. He’s lucky to have you to care for him.

The process to get his BG regulated is the same for Novolin N as it is for Vetsulin... let his body adjust to insulin increases for 5 to 7 days, do a 12 hour curve, evaluate the results and then, if necessary, increase insulin in 1 or .5 unit increments and then repeat the process until his low(nadir) BG reading is around 150.

Medications can affect his readings. For example, Neo/poly/Dex for his eyes is a steroid, which usually raises blood glucose. But every dog reacts differently. My Lily is on it and her BG doesn’t seem to rise with it.

Mike
                Hi Mike,
                Thank you!! Awesome information. It's wonderful to be here!
                Jules
                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                  Good Morning.
                  I have a question about monitoring. I use AlphTrack and Novolin N. I am currently using 9 units 2x a day, which was increased from 7 units 2x a day on Monday 10-30-17. I have my next curve set for Sunday should all go well and I do not see a need to do it sooner. During the curve if I see that the levels are not backing down is it ok to adjust the insulin during the curve or should I wait for the 7:00 pm shot?
                  Any advice?
                  Jules
                  Hi Jules,

I copied your question to your thread.

It’s always good to complete the full curve. That way you get to see the full picture... fasting numbers, nadir and everything in between. Then a decision can be made on what to do.

Mike
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks for both the info and placing me back on my thread. Still learning to navigate the forum
                    Jules

Comment

I agree with Mike. In fact, why not post the results of the curve here for folks to comment on .

Be sure to run the entire 12 hours, don’t stop midday even if the numbers are looking high.

I’ll delete the post that was put on the wrong thread. No problem, the forum takes awhile to figure out

Craig

Comment

food. amount type

hello and welcome to you and your dog Hunter

when you post your curve data please include what food your feeding along with how much your feeding and how much exercise Hunters getting.

Mo
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Good Morning Riley and Mo! That is a great idea!! I will do that next curve! He doesn't get much exercise he has been so very sick. I thought I was going to lose him several times since the cataract surgery, early Oct. He has a terrible cough right now, unknown, kennel cough or CHF or SSS. They are treating him at the moment for pneumonia because of a "moist" cough. I am petrified to walk him or get him excited because of the SSS, CHF and pneumonia. I know for sure about his heart issues. He just started this cough a week ago. I will post his last curve as well to show everyone what has been going on since the change to Novolin N. I never stop mid-curve, I'm much too new to the diabetes situation. He has So many health issues, no one seems to be able to get his diabetes under control. Everyone is blaming his Cushings Decease and his stress levels. That is what brought me to here. I've got what seems to be a vet battle on what's best for him, but no one is able to help.
                          Jules
                          Jules

Comment

Just wondering if you’ve joined our sister forum: k9cushings(dot)com?

Some here have had pups with Cushings, but it might be interesting to talk with folks on the Cushings forum. I joined the Cushings forum years ago (Annie didn’t have Cushings), but it beyond my knowledge level.

Craig

Comment

hi: my dog had cushings and diabetes. How is the cushings going with your boy? Is that under control yet?

The elevated cortisol does usually make them need more insulin. As their cortisol levels go down, the insulin levels usually go down also

That is great that he came through the cataract surgery ok with all of his issues.

Like Mike said, I'd do the full curve with no insulin change to get a good picture of where he is at.

how is the vet fighting? what's going on?

dealing with numerous illnesses at once isn't easy. Judi
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X