View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Natalie,
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Jack's behaviorist. I hope you found some peace in the celebration of life ceremony.

Update here: Made it to November before having to turn the heat on

Old man Kinser had a good wellness exam last week. He's been on metacam daily for about a year now and we had to add tramadol a couple of months ago to give him some additional arthritis relief. All in all though - his blood work had a couple of slightly elevated values but nothing concerning at this point. He's 13.5 years old and it's only the third blood panel he's ever had. The first one with any abnormal values. Vet said for a dog his size and age, the blood work looks good. He's lost a lot of muscle mass in his rear legs and it shows in his mobility, but his spirit is still strong, his eyes are bright and he still has a good interest in life. His weight was down to 73 pounds. For years he he held steady around 83-85 pounds. It's steadily declined the last couple of years, but I try not to worry and tell myself that it's probably best given the weakness in his back end. He continues to believe he is king of the household and nobody has told him otherwise.

The pup, Toby, is doing great for the most part. He loves his humans. Maybe a bit too much as he is showing some definite protective instincts around strangers. He growled at the vet at his last visit a couple of months ago. Today he growled at a couple who stopped to pet him. Sometimes he's a bit hesitant around strangers who try to pet him, but today was the first time he growled. He walks with his tongue hanging out and is all wiggly up to the point where someone steps towards him (when I am behind him). I suspect he goes into a protective mode. When someone he doesn't know, especially if it's a man, steps towards him, he begins to bark, his hackles will raise, and today he growled. He'll stop when I tell him no and will sit when I tell him to. We've taken him to many social events and he is fine with people all around him, the reaction seems to be directly related to strangers stepping towards him (or maybe him thinking they are stepping towards me)? Open to training ideas anyone may have on how to curb the behavior. He's very food motivated so I think I'll start taking treats on walks to see if distraction alone will help.

Other than that - just enjoying what glimpses of the sun we have these days and looking forward to getting some vacation time over the Thanksgiving break.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Last edited by momofdecker; 11-09-2014 at 08:48 PM.