View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Is my dog beginning to fail?

Bailey is 9 years old this month. He was diagnosed 3 years ago. We self test on his ear 3 times a day and inject twice a day about 12 hours apart. He's a mix breed and weighs 24 lbs. (Close to his ideal weight) I've been able to keep his reading fairly consistent for a long time. His monthly average has been 168. Oct 20th he had a growth next to his eye removed, and they went ahead and cleaned his teeth while he was out. All went well and he bounced right back. The problem started 2 weeks later. His readings went to 400 in the evening and sometimes over 300 in the morning. I've been increasing his insulin and usually get the level down but this has been going on for well over a month and it's like riding a roller coaster. My Vet says I'm doing everything I can but this is a gut wrench. My fear it that my dog is beginning to fail. Is there anything else I can do? Do I just ride this out and continue to increase his dosage? In the morning he now gets 7.25 and up to 12.25 in the evening. Last September he was at 6 and 9. I welcome your advice. Thank you.