Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

I am so glad that she is feeling well enough to tell you what time it is!! I love when Cari is ocd about cleaning her paws, because that is how she has always been. When she notices to clean I know she is feeling great and her bg is in a good range haha. It's the little things for sure!!
    Cari the Cairn. 12 years old, weighing in at 10.4 lbs. 3U of Novolin N twice a day at meal time. Feed 1/3 c. Pure Balance Lamb and Brown Rice + 1 tsp pure pumpkin and 1 tblsp lean meat twice daily. Frozen green beans as treats for taking her bg's and insulin. She is my spunky little girl.

Comment

Love the part about the squeaky toy! I think dogs have a much easier time training us than we do training them.
      Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Haha...I can just see her with the squeaky toy
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Annie lost BIG weight yesterday. Yes, she had a grooming that took her from a medium sized dog down to a rat sized pup! Probably took too much off, but once the clippers start we feel its best to fight with her once and not have to do it again for several months. Why do some dogs enjoy grooming while others hate it so much? Before she went blind, she would hide under the bed if she saw us getting the clippers out.

As expected, the excitement of the grooming and her fighting affected her blood glucose. I tested her about 30 minutes afterwards at about 5pm, and she was 81 mg/dL. I probably over compensated by giving her 4 tiny treats (fingernail size), followed by about 12 pieces of her kibble. She tested 228 at her 6:30 dinner time. 5pm is often around her lowest blood glucose time, so she would have probably risen without the snack. O'well, she enjoyed the little snack.

I had to poke her 3 times this morning to get a blood droplet. I wonder if the lack of a blood droplet was caused by the haircut? Cooler skin = less blood near the surface???

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Temps affect our ability to get blood. It has been 80's for three days and now 50's for three days. Much harder to get blood.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
              Temps affect our ability to get blood. It has been 80's for three days and now 50's for three days. Much harder to get blood.
              VERY true! I remember during the summer when she would be sunning herself outside and she would bleed so easily that there would occasionally be blood on the floor. The first time this happened I checked my feet for a cut (lots of bare feet in the house).

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Don't know if this is a great deal, but I usually buy my AlphaTrak test strips from ADW.

http://e.adwdiabetes.com/public/?q=p....Vw0Ozg.QliDlg

Hope the discount code can be used several times (I've placed my order for 100 strips for $102.06. Expensive, but I usually use another system for most routine testing. These 100, plus the 50 I have on hand should last a year

Craig
                Last edited by CraigM; 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  Don't know if this is a great deal, but I usually buy my AlphaTrak test strips from ADW.

http://e.adwdiabetes.com/public/?q=p....Vw0Ozg.QliDlg

Hope the discount code can be used several times (I've placed my order for 100 strips for $102.06. Expensive, but I usually use another system for most routine testing. These 100, plus the 50 I have on hand should last a year

Craig
                  If yours can't be used more than once, I got an email with code AQ587G. 10% off 50 & 100 count AT2 strips. Expires in 5 days.
                  Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Annie had her bath today and I figured I'd test pre & post bath expecting a lower (much lower) post-bath reading. SURPRISE! She tested 114, exactly the same, at both tests. Very surprising because she fought for the full 30 minutes. We use a Self Doggy Wash place about 2 miles from home, so she got a short fun car ride.

Maybe Linda & I should have done the same tests on OUR fingers Our anxiety, and minor anger, was surely up during bath time.

Annie is hanging in there: a little over 8 years diabetic. Can't tell from meal-to-meal if she will gobble 100% in 20 seconds, or only eat ½. At least she will go back and finish the meal immediately after I "fix it her way"! When she leaves her dog food, I just have to mix in a teaspoon of baby food (Gerber Chicken & Chicken Broth in the tiny jar) is her mix.

Craig

Comment

Love seeing a good Annie update!

Go girl!
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Craig,

One thing I have noticed about Maggie in the last year is her wanting to sleep longer and her appetite is not good when she wakes up. It really is an adjustment because when Maggie likes her food, she always would be up for a meal. You could wake her from a dead sleep and she would eat no problem. It creates some havoc for the "schedule" but the vet said to just let her set her own schedule and adjust so that is what I have done. Normally before, we would get up and eat by six but now, I let her sleep and it might be 7, 7:30, 8 or 8:30. I figure after so many years, she has earned the right to sleep in.

I am glad Annie is having good days for you guys.

Amy
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                          Craig,

One thing I have noticed about Maggie in the last year is her wanting to sleep longer and her appetite is not good when she wakes up. It really is an adjustment because when Maggie likes her food, she always would be up for a meal. You could wake her from a dead sleep and she would eat no problem. It creates some havoc for the "schedule" but the vet said to just let her set her own schedule and adjust so that is what I have done. Normally before, we would get up and eat by six but now, I let her sleep and it might be 7, 7:30, 8 or 8:30. I figure after so many years, she has earned the right to sleep in.

I am glad Annie is having good days for you guys.

Amy
                          I've been doing something like that. I still get up between 6 - 6:30 to take her out. I don't dare take her outside after 6:31 or she will puddle in the house. She is usually awake when I get up, so I give one of her eye drops, then take her out. Before, we would go straight to the second eye drop, blood test, meal and injection. Now, I might give her second eye drop and blood test, but if she isn't looking like she is ready to eat (she will usually make little noises when I prepare her bowl), I'll come to the computer and check email and forums. Usually, she will come and bump my legs to let me know it's time to get her food! When she does that, she'll probably eat all, or down to just a few pieces of kibble.

As you indicated, usually no problem at dinner time.

BTW, I'm needing to take her out every 4 hours to prevent "accidents". I try to go to bed around 11:30 just after taking her out, and often get out of bed around 4am for a quick trip. We do what we have to do for the old girls!

Craig

Comment

Doggie diapers worked great for Sydney during her last year.
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                              Annie is hanging in there: a little over 8 years diabetic. Can't tell from meal-to-meal if she will gobble 100% in 20 seconds, or only eat ½. At least she will go back and finish the meal immediately after I "fix it her way"! When she leaves her dog food, I just have to mix in a teaspoon of baby food (Gerber Chicken & Chicken Broth in the tiny jar) is her mix.

Craig
                              Aw, the things we do for our babies!

We have to do baths here, too. Three min pins and tons of little hairs.
                              Prissy, born October 2004, min pin, diagnosed 10.8.2014

Comment

Love hearing the update on Annie, Craig! Those old bladders create restless night's sleep for sure.
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X