Cat forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat forum?

I'm in need of some expert help on our 14 1/2 year old cat. She has lost half her body weight in the last few months. We had bloodwork done last month and nothing stands out to me, but I know dogs better, not so much with cats. She had an xray done last month that showed only one kidney and it was enlarged. Not sure what's going on there, we just adopted her 2 years ago. I've completely switched her over to soft food and she seemed to do better, but now for the last week, has been throwing up every day.

The vet wants to do a $300 ultrasound, which sounds good, except my hours were just cut, drastically. I was hoping I could find a forum as awesome as this one, only for cats!
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Re: Cat forum?

There's a feline diabetes forum but I don't know much about the cat forums available. Hopefully someone else has some experience.

Would she let you test her blood sugar about 2 hours after eating?
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
      There's a feline diabetes forum but I don't know much about the cat forums available. Hopefully someone else has some experience.

Would she let you test her blood sugar about 2 hours after eating?
      Thanks Ali,

It would be a battle to test her, but I would get it done...with every inch of skin covered!

I feeding her several small meals, when do you think would be best?
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

So. I tried to test my cat. I bled more than she did! I tried her ear, is there a better place to test a cat?

After failing miserably, I realized that they did bloodwork on her last month. I looked at the glucose number and it was within normal ranges. Wish I had thought of that before!

Comment

You might browse through Dr. Becker's posts on http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...en-becker.aspx I remember an article where she talked about significant weight loss in elderly cats.
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
            You might browse through Dr. Becker's posts on http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...en-becker.aspx I remember an article where she talked about significant weight loss in elderly cats.
            Thank you Patty. I read through several articles. I can see why the vet wants to do an ultrasound.

On an upside. Patches is eating better with the Royal Canin canned food and keeping it down. Leave it to one of my pets to have expensive tastes!

Comment

I have talked and talked and talked to everyone it seems and our family has finally made the decision to wait on an ultrasound. Based on the fact that Patches isn't in any discomfort, she's able to eat and keep it down, and she actually does seem to be gaining a little....also, they don't sedate the cat, which was a worry, but now I'm worried about traumatizing her! Can't win here.

My Birth-Mom even said she would wait and this is a woman that adores cats over dogs any day of the week. I had to talk to someone I felt would be on the other side, because as much as I love our cats, I am a dog person more.

So that's that...for the time being.

Comment

sounds like a good plan mell
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I guess I'm a little late to this, but the Rat Forum I'm on has sections for other animals as well. They don't generally get quite as much traffic as the Rat sections, but there are a lot of knowledgeable animal people there. http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/ If you have something super urgent, you can always make a thread in the Random Chatter section to direct more people to your original thread in the appropriate (non rat) section.
                  Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I lost a cat "Cat" in 2006 that was diabetic. He went into remission and did very well; lost him to heart failure. Anyway, the best place to test him is the very edge of the ear near the top (that's where the best vein is). Put some rice in an old sock and microwave it for about 15 seconds (or more if needed to warm it; but don't get it too hot). Hold that on his ear for a few seconds to warm the ear. This will make the vein bleed better for you. Prick the ear as close to the edge as you can. Some put the kitty in a towel to keep him still. You can also test their paw pads; but I never did that due to the possibility of infection in the litter box.

There is a feline diabetes message board that was very useful when I started the sugar dance with Cat. I think it's fdmb.com (but if you google feline diabetes message board, it'll pop up). Folks there are very knowledgeable about more than just diabetes as well!

If I can be of any help if your kitty is dx'd with diabetes, just holler! Cats, unlike dogs, CAN go into remission. Cat did with insulin for about 4 months, and low carb Fancy Feast canned food.
                    Melinda & Maggie,14 yr. old mixed breed adopted in August 2001. Novilin N, 18u 2x a day; Alpo and Beneful canned food; she's getting up there, but doing alright! Blind, deaf, arthritic, but diabetes is well controlled.

Comment

Working...
                    X