View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Elderly long-term diabetic having weird episodes

Hi and welcome back . Wish it was on a better reason but most dont post if everything is going well .

My jesse is now 15.5 years old and been diabetic for over 10 years . Six years is impressive especially with the other challenges . Its sounds like you dogs blood sugar has been difficult to regulate and probably has and is contributing to the symptoms you are seeing with with high appetite and none at all with periods of anorexia . Big swings in blood sugar can point to to much insulin and or an imbalance between insulin and food . Also arthritis which is inflammatory and medications like steroids can affect blood sugar . So a reduction in the dose and it could be substantial and do curves to see if the big swings in sugar reduces

The episodes could be low blood sugar events and hypoglycemia due to the sugar going to low

Now my jesse only eats one meal a day and it was the only way to get a handle on her blood sugar so thats an option

Jess also has a homemade diet with canned Mackerel ,chicken vegetables beans and sweet potato yams and she has yet to get cataracts . She also has no problems with arthritis . She can get confused and pee and poops in the house on occasion . She also can be unsteady but all that is understandable at her age and having epilepsy for most of that but mysteriously that went away 4 years ago . Her hearing isnt very good and her eyesight is declining but her nose works very well

I know for jesse we are on the backside of life . She is at the top end of a beagles life span and having all the other challenges I think that is quite amazing. Same for your pup . I do believe her human grade homemade diet was pivotal in her health and quality of life . For the most part she is happy and I enjoy her but sometimes I can loose my patience as we all can do with the old but I am glad she decided to stay for this long . At 5.5 years old her chances of living 6 months wasn't very good

So if you want any help trying somethings I can be more specific what i did with jesse but its hard to say if it can improve the symptoms you are seeing . What works for one dog may not for another For jesse we needed a more unconventional method to make it to this mark

Last edited by jesse girl; 06-03-2020 at 10:27 AM.